'twisted' val

Adrienne

I have what appears to be two different varieties of 'twisted' val in my tank. They came from different sources.

Is it possible that the 'twist' in the leaf of the plant can vary depending on where in the tank the plant is placed or with the speed that the plant grows?

Absolutely - I have all mine from the same source and they twist at different points in the water column and different rates depending on where they are in relation to the light and how well they're growing. I found that if the plant is concentrating on growing vertically they straighten out but if it's trying to spread across the substrate they twist. That of course could just be a complete coincidence though. Once I trimmed mine it stopped growing up and concentrated on spreading and has twisted lie crazy.

yes, the one I got from the shop is definitely v. tortifolia and I have had that for less than two weeks. In this time it has grown significantly and has twisted all the way up. This is what my previous lot of val was like before I melted it all. The other val I have had for 4-5 months and it has hardly grown and is more wrinkled looking than twisted.

However they are in two very different areas of the tank - the twisty stuff is at the back pretty much directly under light and in the flow of the filter outlet. The other stuff is at the far end of the tank sheltered from most water movement and with no direct light over the top. Perhaps I should move this next door to the other plants and see.

There are two twisted Vals out there and they go under various names. We used to call then torta or tortifolia and contortionist. The latter is thinner leafed, more twisted and more brittle. Torta is usually wider and shorter with less twist. As stated earlier conditions (including light and pH) can make them change.