Voltage input

Mirio

I was thinking about getting an EHEIM Canister filter sent over from the states, Dad mentioned that the voltage inputs are different in America, was just wondering. Would this be relevant in my case? Will I have any issues trying to run the canister filter power wise? Any input appreciated, thanks guys

I wrote this in another thread.

if it has 110v~240v on it it's ok

if it has 230v~240v on it it's all good

if it has 110v~120v on it it's going to need a step down transformer to step 230v~240v down to 110v~120v which isn't cheap.

http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/M1160/stepdown-transformer-240-115v-ac-25va

http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MF1091&CATID=19&form=CAT&SUBCATID=449

Thanks for the replys, but I think the question was about the filter type in general, and wether it would be relevant. The model is EHEIM Pro 3 2080, well. To make the question a little easier are they zone specific made? Or are they 110/220V compatible generally?

Why don't you just get one of those filters here :facepalm:

I could understand if you wanted to buy a Classic 2211 from America, as those aren't stocked in NZ, but Pro 3 2080s are, so what makes the ones from America so special? They are an already expensive flter, plus shipping would be a killer as they're huge, and then you'd need a voltage converter so you'd just be pointlessly wasting money when you can just get the filter here, with the right voltage and plug.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/eheim-2080-professional-3/m/1135/

Would you say all EHEIMs are?

I believe none are. Most electric motors like that run directly off the mains. A lot of electronics run through a power supply that converts the mains AC into the appropriate lower DC voltages that it wants. The power supplies automatically adjust to deal with different voltages.

Running the filter on twice the voltage it's designed for will make it do the same as if you plugged a 110v lightbulb into 220v. It will get really bright for a fraction of a second then it will explode.

Why don't you just get one of those filters here :facepalm:

I could understand if you wanted to buy a Classic 2211 from America, as those aren't stocked in NZ, but Pro 3 2080s are, so what makes the ones from America so special? They are an already expensive flter, plus shipping would be a killer as they're huge, and then you'd need a voltage converter so you'd just be pointlessly wasting money when you can just get the filter here, with the right voltage and plug.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/eheim-2080-professional-3/m/1135/

You'll be surprised man, not really face palmable. There can be some pretty huge differences in price even after conversion. Some family members are involved with freight companies, so i'll check that out. Alot of marine keepers buy things online, probably more so than freshwater keepers. But yeah, just doing price/checks measuring possibilitys as some do hah.

It'll be cheaper Joe.

I thought you had a thing for the Fx5 Ethan?

Yeah, some models like the Pro 3 2075 worked out to be close to 50% cheaper, with around $100 or so ontop for shipping. Yeah, might start to consider the FX5, nothing wrong with them. Just after reading a monsterfishkeepers Pro 3 2080 vs FX5 review the EHEIM was quieter, used less power, retained a higher percentage of flow rate, and performed better biologically. Just an overall good impression, reliable brand too. Fluval did better mechanically though, but yeah. It's for a smaller tank, I just really would like to give surplus filtration. Just exploring all options really bro

I believe none are. Most electric motors like that run directly off the mains. A lot of electronics run through a power supply that converts the mains AC into the appropriate lower DC voltages that it wants. The power supplies automatically adjust to deal with different voltages.

Running the filter on twice the voltage it's designed for will make it do the same as if you plugged a 110v lightbulb into 220v. It will get really bright for a fraction of a second then it will explode.

Ah I see. That's really the answer I was looking for, the site seems to be split between two or so zones. So I was just wondering if they make zone specific filters etc. Maybe a silly question, but I felt it was worth the ask. Will double check though, thanks a bunch Ira

I would be weighing up the cost (plus risk that you may get charged customs on items over a certain value) and also the value that the NZ based guarantee has to you as well.. While most of these things do last the last thing you want to do is save yourself $100 and have it die on you and have no after sale service.

I would be weighing up the cost (plus risk that you may get charged customs on items over a certain value) and also the value that the NZ based guarantee has to you as well.. While most of these things do last the last thing you want to do is save yourself $100 and have it die on you and have no after sale service.

Too true, this of course was something I was trying to factor in aswell. It'd obviously be alot less of a hassle returning it to a store 20mins away than it would be going through the entire shipping overseas process. Thanks heaps though man

I've been considering this as well. I can get an Eheim 3E 2078 for $910, including shipping, GST and 8 litres of media.

Compare that with $960 to $1100 in NZ, and another $350 for media. Still waiting to hear if the LFS will talk turkey.

I still haven't found out if the Eheim power adaptors are 110/240 or not.

I've been considering this as well. I can get an Eheim 3E 2078 for $910, including shipping, GST and 8 litres of media.

Compare that with $960 to $1100 in NZ, and another $350 for media. Still waiting to hear if the LFS will talk turkey.

I still haven't found out if the Eheim power adaptors are 110/240 or not.

I would investigate (or if I doubt call customs) any charges that you might have to pay for importing them.. Sure you might get away with it, but worst case you might get hit with tons of fees that you didn't budget on and end up with a filter stuck at a customs office while you save to pay them.. More stuff here but I have no real idea how to drive it http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/charges/fees/Pages/default.aspx

When does gst kick in and is there any duty?

Marine guys usually assume GST once the value goes over $300, but like most government agencies it depends on luck of the draw. Some shippers will mark the package as a gift which helps and also suggest having it delivered to a private address rather than a business address

As far as customs is concerned if the ticket price is more than $400 they will charge you GST on the item coming in. So add 15% to anything you're ordering at the prices you're talking and it's probably cheaper to buy locally.

How much is it going to cost to have the plugs changed on it? That might make it about the same as buying one here

It's definitely not a matter of changing the plugs, the motor housing is where the power pack is on the eheims and if they're not universal then you'll have to change the whole filter head which is the majority of the cost anyway.

Why don't you ask someone who owns one in the states if they can check the box / filter motor to see if it mentions it anywhere? First stop - monsterfishkeepers.com - someone there will have one.

As far as customs is concerned if the ticket price is more than $400 they will charge you GST on the item coming in. So add 15% to anything you're ordering at the prices you're talking and it's probably cheaper to buy locally.

And if you need to pay GST then guaranteed you will be stung with duty and a customs fee on top of the GST as well.

When does gst kick in and is there any duty?

I researched this a while ago.. there is no duty and the rule is that you have to pay GST if the GST amount is $60 or more.. with 15% gst this comes to a purchase price up to $400 before you in theory have to pay GST.

They will allow higher value items to be imported without duty as well.

An old flatmate purchased 2, USD4000 laptops and they decided $100 in import duty was sufficient.

It is important to remember that they can if they choose to do so apply customs duty to any item that allows for it. In general if you purchase something for yourself and it is intended for private use; they won't care less. I dare say they have bigger fish to catch! :slfg:

I travel quite a bit and customs has never bothered telling me I have 1 or 2 bottles of alcohol too many and I need to pay duty on them. In the same way I get stuff sent over from other countries more often than the average joe, and the only time I ever had a problem is when one MAF seized one of the packets that said "add milk" as instructions for a recipe. I called them up and they laughed, because they thought it had milk powder in it.