Ammonioa level at 1.5ppm ? wont lower

Colin

Hi my Ammonia level is staying at 1.5ppm nitrite 0ppm ph 6.2 and good nitrates have done water changes last two days and still not dropping :dunno: tank size is 230ltr and running fluval 304,what should i do? or will it be ok to stay at that level....

looking for some advise,Thanks

How long have you had the tank setup for? It will take a number of weeks for the ammonia levels drop drop to zero. Also rather than doing water changes you could use Cycle or Ammo lock, both these products will convert the ammonia to ammonium which isn't toxic but will still feed the bacteria in your filter. Also when you do water changes are you using a water ager? If not the chlorine in the water will be stopping your filter from cycling

Can you get the local petshop or a friend to do a test also to make sure your test results are right.

Yes that might be a good idea, i trust the tests ive done because the other tanks ive got are all ok just seems strange that it is only one tank :dunno: if it was the test kits then i thought i would get the same results from my other tanks???

That seems very unusual. I would make sure there's no chlorine in the water you are putting in? also wouldn't hurt to add an internal filter something like a eheim 2012 would be good.. an might help abit with the build up of ammonia... You might not "need" it but its always good to have more filtration.

Also cut back the feeding amounts

Yes that might be a good idea, i trust the tests ive done because the other tanks ive got are all ok just seems strange that it is only one tank :dunno: if it was the test kits then i thought i would get the same results from my other tanks???

Good luck on getting that done at the LFS!

+1 - I'd recommend doing 100-150L at a time 1-2 times a week while you've still got the problem.

I'm sure that I read that anything over about 20% water change (without water ager) will start to negatively effect the bacteria in the filter :dunno:

I'm sure that I read that anything over about 20% water change (without water ager) will start to negatively effect the bacteria in the filter :dunno:

I've had absolutely no problems doing 50% water changes with the garden hose. As long as you trickle fill the tank the water temp doesn't drop any more than 3 degrees and it's mostly the temp that affects the bacteria. By the time the water has splashed into the tank there's pretty much no chlorine left anyway but I always add a bit of prime to the tank to be sure.

That's kind of like refusing to mow your yard because it might annoy your gardener who hasn't shown up in a month....

That's kind of like refusing to mow your yard because it might annoy your gardener who hasn't shown up in a month....

I din't say to not do any water changes, more looking for conformation/rebuttal about the % of water change when there is a (possible) problem in the tank.