Arowana Discussion Thread

ally07

maybe if it dried, it impacts bacterial.

but im sure people here would have to do WCs on their bio ball sumps too, so im sure it will be ok, just minimize the time of dryness i guess

when you use the canister, youw ont have a problem i think.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe if it dried, it impacts bacterial.

but im sure people here would have to do WCs on their bio ball sumps too, so im sure it will be ok, just minimize the time of dryness i guess

when you use the canister, youw ont have a problem i think.

I tried the sump, wouldn't run properly. Possibilities include: too much bio media for the water to flow properly/ the sump is on the same level as the canister/ the hoses are too long or too short. I tried changing what I could, but the only possibility left would be to put the canister on a lower level (impossible). So after an hour I gave up, put all the media in the net bags and shoved them under the tower compartment so they are always wet and have good water flow. In the near future I might add another 1.5-3kg of cerami-sub but I might do it the cheap loofa way too lol. See if my bioload requires more media or not..

I've finally found time to take a picture of my Arowana. Actually I couldn't really take a decent picture because am using my Phone camera. So I decided to take a video of my black arowana.

He's about 45cm lenght. My last video of my arowana was in feb. My Black is 5 months old now.

That's a nice looking fish. Quite thick around the sides (horizontal, not vertical). What size is your tank? Looks like he will outgrow it soon - he will definitely be longer than the width of the tank in no time. What is the diet you provide?

That's a nice looking fish. Quite thick around the sides (horizontal, not vertical). What size is your tank? Looks like he will outgrow it soon - he will definitely be longer than the width of the tank in no time. What is the diet you provide?

I am moving him soon to my 1200L tank. But I wanted him to fully outgrow the tank before moving him. He feeds on, shrimp, hikari sticks.

I dunno, he doesn't seem to eat sinking foods. The food has to float for a while before he eats it at his own pace. If I fed him pure massivore then I'd have to stand there and hand feed him everything lol. Massivored prawns are easier haha, he just chows down, no questions asked.

It just doesn't look 'natural'.. The first aro has a ridge, but it's formed due to musculature and maturity of the fish. The second aro is genetically born this way and some people even look for this extreme 'spoon head' effect. A bit much for me, but to each his own I guess.. :dunno:

Blue base red crossback arowana is the best morph, gold is nice but I would rather have the deep red aros. Not a fan of the 'king' shape of asain aros, very unnatural and looks bad.

Hmm.. I've seen really nice BBRXB aros but I think BBGXB still has my vote - I like the contrast of the deeper blue colour and the gold rims. Ooohhhh the sight of full rims going all the way across the ridge and down around the belly makes me wanna go Homer Simpson !drool: lol..

That is amazing!

Thank you so much for posting that link!

WOW!

Amazing, isn't it?! I mean, for the first month of the aro's life, it's too weighed down and weak to even swim! I'm assuming that while it's got the egg sac it's still supposed to be in the father's mouth, but man the eggs are huge!

Wow, I want to breed arowana too :happy2: . Look so cute how they develop. :thup: . I feel like breeding arowana now! Too bad I am broke &c:ry . Anyone keen to open a aro farm. Oh ally, My temp tank is 366L and I only remember the length of the tank which is 120cm long.

sapphire.jpg

This is a cross between a Gold and a high quality red.

called SAPPHIRE GOLD - though thats just a brand name of course, but generallys peaking this is a cross.

very nice indeed

Can you imagine how many generations it took to narrow the genetic traits? Aros take a few years to become mature enough to identify suitable traits, then to become sexually mature and finally there's the pairing up! Kudos to the guys who managed to breed the Sapphire Gold. :thup:

Wow, I want to breed arowana too :happy2: . Look so cute how they develop. :thup: . I feel like breeding arowana now! Too bad I am broke &c:ry . Anyone keen to open a aro farm. Oh ally, My temp tank is 366L and I only remember the length of the tank which is 120cm long.

The aro farm dream lives on haha.. Best place would be to rent some ponds from Huka Prawn Farm in Taupo lol. Warm water all year round and all the fresh prawn feeders you want! :happy1: It's not the length of the tank I was worried about, it's the width of it. Looks like it will become too long to turn around in another 2-3 months, depending on the growth rate. Don't mess around with turning radius lol, otherwise your aro will get a curled gill like mine. My poor little orphan had a bad childhood lol, so I'm trying to make up for lost time by pumping him up - unsure if his gill curl will ever recover. &c:ry

yeah, or a greenhouse like butterfly creek.

actually having a heated pond for aros to try and breed is not as unachievable in nz as you may think.

youc an probably set one up for the price of a reasonably priced car!

i was thinking of doing it if i had land, and market it as NZ BRED, clean and green 100% pure arowana:D

yeah, it would take generations to see traits

but i believe they would do it enmasse, i would.

iw ould take numerous babies, raise to adulthood and then cross their babies and their babies babies..... to cut down traits.

but none the less, still a very large operation.

i actually think that breeding arowana is not as hard as you may think.

the key is having the land and the fish.

who knows.

maybe one day, someone in nz will breed arowana for fun:D