Arowana Discussion Thread

ally07

That's a fine looking fish.. Not sure if I would push the bulk anymore though lol.. Maybe half an inch more at most? Otherwise it would look too spoony IMO. Dammit, I'm so jealous of asian fishkeepers haha.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, it is a very well proportioned fish. i guess i love the girth on them! monstrous. that one has no spoon at all.

Wellll.. It's got a bit of spoon, but could add a bit more muscle. Too much and it will be a very sharp angle which would make the fish ugly. I reckon give that aro a few more months of good food and it should start to add girth. Doesn't look like it's going to grow much longer (judging by the photo)..

Henward, as promised!

Apologies for the darkness/ crappy quality. It was taken with an iPhone and I had to keep the light this way in order to prevent glare from the glass and to show the colour of the scales. I found that with very strong lighting, the scales lit up like a christmas tree and you couldn't see any colour, just bright white. I didn't use the blue lighting, just white - for accuracy! If you look really closely you can see a shimmer of blue-purple in the scales when he passes under the light or turns under the light.

nice!

i particularly like it when its bright and its shining bright lol

looks big! and a bullet head. shame bout gill curl but its ok, if it functions normally, it doesnt matter.

i dont think ill be getting thos small gold fish again, hard to grow out and as theya re defects they dont grow some of them!!

i think ill just get them from hff - they have bulk discounts right now.

maybe next vid you canput a mous:D haha

nice!

i particularly like it when its bright and its shining bright lol

looks big! and a bullet head. shame bout gill curl but its ok, if it functions normally, it doesnt matter.

i dont think ill be getting thos small gold fish again, hard to grow out and as theya re defects they dont grow some of them!!

i think ill just get them from hff - they have bulk discounts right now.

maybe next vid you canput a mous:D haha

Yeah I agree! Some grow slowly, but at least they grow. Some are still the same size as when I got them.. Better off feeding them to the bichirs haha. My aro eats them like they're mealworms.

I draw the line at mice lol. Don't like handling mice and can't bear to see the aro eat a mouse lol..

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?325084-Red-arowanas-pondarium

This is my dream tank, i will build thsi in my garage one day..

not maybe but I WILL, only a matter of time

i think you can do it relatively cost effectively. turn my garage into a entertainment area with a bar - tv, couches..... and this pond/pool

problem with mouse is that next day, the water is filled with hair!

good for fish though!

south island trout were blooming a year or so ago cos there was a rodent bloom! baby mice fella nd swam in the rivers, troute ate them. some trout had more than 15 mice in them i believe! huge trout

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?325084-Red-arowanas-pondarium

This is my dream tank, i will build thsi in my garage one day..

not maybe but I WILL, only a matter of time

i think you can do it relatively cost effectively. turn my garage into a entertainment area with a bar - tv, couches..... and this pond/pool

My plan is to buy a house with a garage. Seal off the door and insulate the walks heavily. Gonna have my two large tanks inside and a heat pump running 24/7 to keep a constant ambient temp. Will also have a couch and my record player inside. It'll be my den haha. Somewhere to have some solitude and watch my 'kids' lol.

My plan is to buy a house with a garage. Seal off the door and insulate the walks heavily. Gonna have my two large tanks inside and a heat pump running 24/7 to keep a constant ambient temp. Will also have a couch and my record player inside. It'll be my den haha. Somewhere to have some solitude and watch my 'kids' lol.

What will the damp do to vinyl/hi-fi gear? I like the idea but don't really consider most humid fish rooms suitable for electronic awesomeness like great record players.

What will the damp do to vinyl/hi-fi gear? I like the idea but don't really consider most humid fish rooms suitable for electronic awesomeness like great record players.

Hmm.. Hadn't thought about that! I hope that the heat pump will also double as a dehumidifier lol. My hi-fi is actually right next to the tank at the moment, haven't noticed any problems (yet). But it's not top-end stuff anyway, just enough for my listening pleasure - not a top-notch audiophile haha!

Would be best top have the tank walled off so all the humidity etc is kept in the tank room, and the viewing room stays dry and quiet.

Well, if the cost is reasonable, I can wing it and run it past the wife lol. Otherwise, I don't think a walled fish tank is worth a divorce haha!

hay guys

just wondering what the best way to transport a jardini from one tank to another would be?

hes in tank A :100L, pH7 to 7.3, NH3+ 0, NO3- 5 to 10 ppm.

tank B : 570L, pH7.5, NH3+ 0, NO3- 0. (its a new tank one week old)

can i catch him and put him straight into the new tank or do i have to bag him and treat him like a newly bought fish.

ive had him for two weeks hes about 6" long.

arowanas are aawwsome!! :D

6 inch is small, easy bagged. but yes, gotta float bag wtih any fish.

suggest is catch it with a bag - dotn catch it wtih a net, it damages them and often destroys the barbels.

then jsut float the bag.

easy.

jardiniis are hardier too, probably hardiest of all aros byt he way they act lol

I'm keen to come over and have a play with the new camera, see if I can get some good shots of him.

With the jar if the water is that close I'd be tempted to chuck it straight over. Otherwise I'd say drain about as much water out of the 100L tank as you can with out him going mad (75% at least, and the siphon water from the big tank back into the little tank to acclimatise him. Put in another 50L, take 50L out, put another 50L in and then move him across. Then just top the big tank off like you would when doing a water change.