Arowana Discussion Thread

ally07

Hi aro fans

Since recently there has been a bit of a surge in aro discussions, I thought I'd start a discussion thread for all things aro, simply for the ease of not starting a new thread for every little topic/ observation.

To please the Mods, the ground rules are:

1. Don't go :smot:

2. Try not to get TOO chatty (without content), even though we are passionate about our aros.

3. Standard forum rules apply.

To kick off, I'd like to share that I installed a 6000L/hr wave maker in the tank last night and my green is LOVING IT. At first I was afraid that the power would be too much for it, but he is unfazed. He swims right up to the outlets and stays there, enjoying a bit of a body massage, I imagine. So that's really cool, hopefully the current will make the tank more 'natural' for him and help him bulk up a bit. This totally goes against what I've been taught years ago about aros, that they like slow moving water, but it looks like they actually do thrive on a bit of water resistance!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured last week and he measures in at 38cm. Still small for his age, but it's a total growth of 11cm since I got him in Jan. Recently streamlined his diet to prawns stuffed with massivore and gut stuffed mealworms, so I'm anticipating better growth rate. Previously he was fed on prawns stuffed with tropical sticks, then I weaned him off prawns until finally he stopped eating his pellets unless there were prawns.. :nilly: :facepalm: Also tried FD silkworm pupae which he took for a while but doesn't anymore. So, his diet has been streamlined to stuff that he cannot resist - prawns and mealworms. He's NEVER too full for mealworms. Still does his weekly auto-fast though, so I don't need to remember to fast him for a day lol, he does it for me. :D

Nice. My black arowana is now 45cm. He feed off Hikari stick and stuff Hikari stick prawns. I am waiting till the end of the year before adding him to the 1200L tank. I want him fully grown. I am also growing a silver arowana in a 366L tank.

That's good! At least yours alternates between pellets and prawns haha. Mine is either/ or. If he gets prawns, the pellet training has to be restarted. But I don't mind keeping him on prawns because this way he can eat some massivore.

Three things I've learned from Henward:

1. MASSIVORE.

2. Variety.

3. Live food.

Surfing the forums, I have not seen another aro (so far) as bulky as Henward's except for this green:

green.JPG

Maybe I should enlarge this picture and stick it on my tank background to motivate my green lol! :lol:

well you can in theory.

i have grown a jardinii into a monster in a 360 litre ages ago.

but involved lots of water changes and much food.

i rigged up auto changer and was equivalent to 30% wc a day.

you can do it, just slower!

and i reckon it wont get as bulky as you would in a bigger tank .

it will just take longer i reckon.

Nice. My black arowana is now 45cm. He feed off Hikari stick and stuff Hikari stick prawns. I am waiting till the end of the year before adding him to the 1200L tank. I want him fully grown. I am also growing a silver arowana in a 366L tank.

fully grown this black aro will be very big.

you are in hibiting its growth in that small tank IMO.

it wont get as bulky.

ALLY07: PICS!!

Decided my next Project (minimum 3 years from now)

1200Litre

VIP XB or Blue base XB - not sure yet if i want blue or gold base you see. blue base looks too closet o a red and a full gold base would be a shining gold thing swimming around.

tank mates:

albino tinfoil (if its still ailve)

a carpet of albino senegals

albino sailfin

(any other albino fish i could put in there, i want an albino theme)

lol

im an addict

when you count the colour scales do you count teh row that runs along the back line?

Saw a violet fusion that woudl be close to ten years old...was $5000 or so when brought in as a strapping 12 cm fish with chip and cert

stunning fish and has colour all the way to the bottom scale

not as big or great as he could be as was negelected in his youth

i think redwoods has that aro you are speaking of?

depends on the fish and how colour ful the scales and where the colour extends up to.

as for jardinii, there are a few around

in fact, hff mt roskill has a tinyone, awesome! youc an feed it pellets from a young age and will grow fast.

rtg, no one brings them in anymore.

ALLY07: PICS!!

OK, lol.. I'll find some time later tonight and post some pics. Maybe I'll post some old pictures and you guys can do a comparison. What I really like at the moment is that his ridge above the head is getting more pronounced which is awesome. From the top view as well, his "shoulders" seem thicker and broader. When I first got him he was so skinny lol.

in fact, hff mt roskill has a tinyone, awesome!

Agree with Henward, that jar at HFF Mt Roskill has been there for a few weeks now. He's really tiny, so there is so much potential to get him to eat the right foods and grow really big if you put him into a large tank for the rest of his life. He's probably like 10cm or so long? Don't see them that small very often..

Get the jar!

get 5 of them! and do a jar comm:D

Get the jar!

get 5 of them! and do a jar comm:D

and possibly/probably end up with one really fat jar after a few months no doubt :o

that sux that we cant get rtg anymore.

do we have to buy lotto tickets if we want anything other than a jar silver or green?

Well, no offence, Henward (or to the new owner of the RTG).. For the amount that you're going to pay for such a nice fish, just save up for a few more months and go for gold (pun intended) - cross back with base colour! In the grand scheme of things, if you're going to drop a few grand on a fish, you really might as well top it up a little bit more and get a jaw-droppingly nice fish.

Now, the question is: are you willing to drop so much money on a fish? :lol:

As promised.. Updated pictures of my green:

Jan 2011 (approximately 27cm)

Pictures016.jpg

June 2011 (approximately 38cm)

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

Sorry for the lack of older photos, that was the best I could find, the others were partial shots of the head, no full body shots. :( All the updated photos were taken with room lights + aquarium lights + flash (it was too dark any other way).

nice, gotten thicker!

i believe thats what they call "bullet shape" in terms of arowana shape description.

more golds are bullet shaped than reds apparently, who knows lol

as for the gold.

i understand what you m ean ... same principle i guess with grade 2 red that will never go red and a high quality red.

but the issue is, RTG has good gold colouration, and is 1/4 the price.

a xb is 8k!

so a rtg cost me 2k... so yeah, huge difference, and many many many people would see diminishing returns paying 8k:D

only a few people like us (addicted freaks) would actually see the extra 4k value hahaha :sml1:

LoL, with arowanas any purchase is diminishing return haha. We're definitely not in it to make any money lol; more likely that we're spending more than the cost of the fish in the long run just to keep it alive haha.. We should start a club: Arowanas Addicts Anonymous.. :slfg: