Picture books as a child

hi all

just looking at getting some books for my baby, ahead of time a little, but i want to fet a good collection before she gets bigger.

thing is I can't remember all those neat, wonderful books I used to read as a kid and I thought that all of you could think of some.

kids books these days arent quite the same.

the books I remember from when I was younger are:

the little critter books

billy goats gruff

very hungry caterpillar

jack & the beanstalk.... just to name a few...

anyone got any faves of their own? :bounce:

I was flicking through a huge range of little golden books at a market the other day, did that bring back memories or what.... Try going to op shop/second hand book store & looking for old 80s books.

As a flatmate to a 2.5yo I definitely recommend getting books with fewer words for the younger ages so you don't have to read the same long books over & over >_>

Spot

Maisy

Hairy MacLary

Bearenstein Bears

Richard Scarry

Nursery rhymes/Mother Goose

Wheels on the Bus (and any other songy type ones, they're fun when the kid learns to sing along)

All good selections. My favourite was Winnie The Pooh - the original, not the Disneyfied one.

You never see Little Toot any more either. He was one of the Golden Books series.

My kids loved the Richard Scarry books and Where's Spot? I remember we had a Li'l Critter sticker book.

You can never go past Hairy McLary or Dr Seuss :love:

I remember, as a child, listening to stories on the radio on Sunday mornings. Hans Christian Andersen, Brothers Grimm and that lot.

I loved the story of The Happy Prince.

I loved reading Dr. Seuss, the rhythms just roll off the tongue. Cat in the hat is my fave.

some favourites of my kids are:

Anything by lynley dodd, hairy maclary, the nickle nackle tree etc

The gruffalo

the gruffalo's child

where the wild things are (loved this when I was a kid too)

A fish out of water

The witches children

the very hungry caterpillar

Bertie and the Bear

Who sunk the boat (lovely book)

The boy who was brought up by teddybears (this is a sweet book)

Guess how much I love you

Kiss good night (anita jeram)

I found Dr Seuss to be nonsense, not even funny. To me it was pointless reading haha.

I had (have?) a big book of his stories, I can now see some very clear and strong points to them. Especially one where all the trees are cut down, factories pollute the water and everyone gets sick. Pretty accurate to real life actually.

I found Dr Seuss to be nonsense, not even funny. To me it was pointless reading haha.

Yusssss I thought I was the only one who thought Dr Suess was overrated nonsense!

I'll +1 Beatrix Potter though I was terrified of the one with Samuel Whiskers.

I too found Samuel Whiskers to be menacing!

I have got my full set of books still, I dream that they are worth something as they are from before the copyright finished, but with my childish scribblings I doubt they are :D

OOh and Brambly Hedge (still have those too :oops: )

Berenstein bears

Franklin the turtle

Lynley Dodd's Apple tree compilation (especially Dragon in a wagon)

Mouse on the moon

Tyrannosaurus drip

The Magic hat

No problem

Kiss goodnight Sam

Anything by Roald Dahl.....James and the giant peach, The BFG, The terrible twins, Charlie and the chocolate factory (More for older kids)

I avoid anything by Dr Seuss like the plague....they're long, boring and quite difficult to read some times...

I was a weirder kid an I am as an adult. I used to love my grandfather reading Robbie Burns and Banjo Patterson poems to me before bed :-?

1 normal book I really remember though was The Little Red Caboose, heart warming story about the little caboose that never gives up.

I also had wilhelm busch books to grow up with, love the one about little tommy sucker thumb.

Ebay_Items_1118.jpg

I was flicking through a huge range of little golden books at a market the other day, did that bring back memories or what.... Try going to op shop/second hand book store & looking for old 80s books.

As a flatmate to a 2.5yo I definitely recommend getting books with fewer words for the younger ages so you don't have to read the same long books over & over >_>

Spot

Maisy

Hairy MacLary

Bearenstein Bears

Richard Scarry

Nursery rhymes/Mother Goose

Wheels on the Bus (and any other songy type ones, they're fun when the kid learns to sing along)

awww I remember spot. I used to get very upset with my younger brother cause he would tear off all the places where spot was hiding, you know the little flaps you used to lift to find him :an!gry

I'm with sofia, I never liked Doctor Seuss found it too nonsense, and the very hungry caterpillar that so many people liked was only okay to me since I liked the holes in the book.

I do remember a book called the rainbowfish, which I liked because it was pretty, I also though hairy Maclary books were neat. There were also some Disney picture books that used to come from Mcdonalds, which were awesome as well. Aside from those, my favorites were, 'Who Killed Cock Robin", "Barber the elephant", "Once Upon a Time Storybook" (ie fairy-tales), and "the Highway Man". Honestly I must have been a weird kid, since if you notice any trend with those books is that there's often some kinda of death in them, heck, "the Highway Man" is a poem that ends with a lady shooting herself even! Even the version of fairy-tales which I used to read were the original ones, which get quite twisted (eg. Cinderella's sisters actually cut off their toes or something in order to fit the shoe).

I've always been a big mystery/supernatural/crime books fan though, grew up reading pretty much nothing except those genres and mythology books. There was a point where I had basically read ALL the children and young adult books of those genres, used to use my card, dad's card, and my sister's card to take out 75 books a week and actually read most of them. I guess most kids don't have as weird a taste as me though, but still Barber the Elephant is really excellent!

• 4 weeks later...

My fav kids stories are -

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Where The Wild Things Are

Billy Goats Gruff

Guess How Much I Love You

Dr Seuss esp. The Cat In The Hat

Hairy Maclary

Winnie The Pooh

We have way too many books here.... :o I'm probably going to pass on quite a few to my little sister who has a 19 month old boy soon. Seriously, I don't believe there is a fairy tale we don't have. We have Hansel and Gretel, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the beanstalk, .................. I collected a whole lot of books when I was working, for when I had kids LOL

Oh another book I LOVE is Leo The Lop which is about a lop eared rabbit. I can't remember the author but I found a whole lot of his books at a church fair. I'm really bad when I find books at fairs, garage sales.... :oops: