HOLY GRAIL - what is your holy grail type of tank and fish

henward

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 where's the imagination and creativity in that?

That's just a tank full of fish! anyone can do that! (anyone with heaps of $$$ that is :slfg: )

I'd say it looks like a fish store sales tank, but they usually have more aquascaping than that.

yeah

the no substrate has one desirable side effect.

i figured out this is why they do it.

although some claim its ease of cleaning, sure, but one side effect i found was light reflecting from the bottom of the tank.

its hard to have light reflect from the bottom and make the botom of the fish shine.

i discovered this using white silica sand.

it makes light reflect upward and further enhancing the shine of a gold arowana.

but in saying that i agree.

i dont like bare bottom tank set ups

i reckon some wood, and bottom dwellers would do nicely!

*gasp* Am I the only one who is willing to strip away all the peripherals and appreciate the zen serenity of watching a group of ridiculously expensive fish swim together? If it were one arowana, I would make it look natural, but somehow with big comms, I prefer to keep the tank black/ bare so that it doesn't look so crowded and messy - let the fish do the talking. Minimalist, baby! :thup:

I think that tank would look more spectacular if somehow the whole tank was blacked out and all you could see were the fish under the lights, no tank. Like a black hole with fish swimming illuminated inside. The sort of thing you'd see in an old James Bond film just before someone got fed to them.

I prefer to keep the tank black/ bare so that it doesn't look so crowded and messy - let the fish do the talking. Minimalist, baby! :thup:

I can agree with that when its fish like fighters and aros. Where you're looking at the fish individually and not the tank as a whole. Betta containers are pretty boring, and at a distance Adriennes bottle set up looks dull. But when you get close up, you can see the fish at their finest !drool:

But if it was something like africans etc, the tank as a whole is what it takes, which I'm sure you can agree on :wink:

I can agree with that when its fish like fighters and aros. Where you're looking at the fish individually and not the tank as a whole. Betta containers are pretty boring, and at a distance Adriennes bottle set up looks dull. But when you get close up, you can see the fish at their finest !drool:

But if it was something like africans etc, the tank as a whole is what it takes, which I'm sure you can agree on :wink:

Yeah, I'm totally for making tanks look as natural as possible.. I mean, my tank has gravel and driftwood and rocks as well, but I balance out with a very lightly stocked tank. My opinion is that when the tank has too much going on, the viewer gets distracted. In my tank, I want the focus to be immediately on my green arowana and the bottom dwellers as a secondary thought, not the viewers getting their focus constantly disrupted by another fish whizzing by.

But in the case of such a massive aro comm tank, I wouldn't put any more than maybe one good piece of driftwood as a centerpiece so that the viewers can appreciate the magnificence of a school of arowanas (no mean feat in itself). If it were one arowana, I would add more natural decor. With so many, the practicalities also demand that water quality has to be top-notch (I doubt if that tank can be vac'd) and the less stuff for the arowanas to impale themselves upon, the better. With such a huge school, fights are almost imminent, so there has to be ample space for escape without harm. So the bare tank is not just aesthetic but practical as well. I think the owner pulled it off well by having the backgrounds blacked out with good lighting - everybody knows what he wants us to see.

But, just my opinion is all! :wink:

P/S Cichlids would be completely different - that would be a case of "how many rocks can I squeeze into this tank?" :lol:

I think that aro tank would look great if there were a couple less aros and either a group of rays and a group of big bichirs. Just needs something else to balance out the top-heavy stocking. I agree with Ally, in some cases having a minimalistic look to focus the attention solely on the fish can look great, with the right fish.

For some reason zoo's don't have animals in a bare cage

Not really comparing apples with apples. A more socially advanced and complex animal like a tiger or monkey would suffer badly if kept in a bare cage with no social stimulation. Fish on the other hand are far less complex and don't need such stimulation. A single arowana will live a long and healthy life being kept by itself in a bare tank of appropriate size so long as it has clean water and food.

For me definately a big african cichlid tank,this is one of my favorites -

:o Well, the guy has a MOVIE ROOM so I guess he would be able to afford such a nice tank with all that equipment lol.. But it must be great to watch from his office desk - so tranquil. :cofn:

• 3 weeks later...
if i had the money, actually... WHEN i have the money.. i would like to have several large fish tanks around my (large) house, and a monster one outside, which are all connected by water filled clear tubing (perspex? pvc? acrylic?) coming out of the tanks, up and along the ceiling, and through to the other tanks. different sized tubes could be used to restrict large fish to tanks reserved for small fish. pipes could be drained to clean, and suction could be used to refill. thus you would have fish swimming over your head all through the house. i wonder if they would follow you around while you're doing the housekeeping. imagine when it came time to find a particular fish.. you would have to search all your tanks and a maze of tubes to find it..

hmm... maybe that's not so much my holy grail, but more of a MFS victims wet dream... (no pun intended) haha

at the end of the day, all i want is a fish tank that is big enough and set up well enough to make all my fish (and future fish) feel completely at home.

Sounds like that Bees Online place but with fish...