Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fish Store

Featured Replies

Just got to thinking the other day of if someone was to set up a fish store, what would they offer/do different than other petstores/fishstores? :spop:

If I was going to set up a fist store I would have massive tanks full of exotic and hard to get fish. Plus making the tanks full of plants and making them look really good.

  • Author
If I was going to set up a fist store I would have massive tanks full of exotic and hard to get fish. Plus making the tanks full of plants and making them look really good.

mmmmm :thup: sounds gooood. What sorts of exotic would you go for? What towns do you think need a devoted fish store?

I would try and source healthy and good quality fish, and a good selection.. It would be a very hard market to get into though not much demand for tropical fish and your tank of exotics probably wouldn't generate many sales when 99% of sales that go through shops would be the common varieties..

Hmm I guess I would stock cool tetras arowanas plecos catfish possibly even some variations of turtles and other reptiles if I could. :/ about location kapiti needs a really good fish store but I don't know if there would be a great enough market here.

  • Author
Hmm I guess I would stock cool tetras arowanas plecos catfish possibly even some variations of turtles and other reptiles if I could. :/ about location kapiti needs a really good fish store but I don't know if there would be a great enough market here.

Well do you think people would be prepared to travel to a good fish store? Especially if their reputation was for selling good quality and a wide range of fish?

I mean I travel into Wellington to go to a good fish store. Depends what I was going to get. I think people would travel to get a high quality fish. All depends on price and what they are getting.

Hmm I guess I would stock cool tetras arowanas plecos catfish possibly even some variations of turtles and other reptiles if I could. :/ about location kapiti needs a really good fish store but I don't know if there would be a great enough market here.

i think it would be pointless to set a fish shop up here not much market

I would do something similar to HFF, they get people from all over coming to get stuff, wouldn't be as big as down here the demand and population is less, but have a wicket planted display tank that is well looked after, stock the general fish, i.e. tetras, corys, gouramis, cichlids, barbs, loachs, goldfish etc + a few others that probably wouldn't go fast, Arawana, senagalis, ghost knife elephant nose, maybe even a small marine section depending on demand. and set up systems with local breeders through FNZAS as well as importers, that way there will be mix's of fish.

Probably be in wellington, maybe just up from there.

Have a small reptile area, 4-6 tanks, including one display with water dragons, turtles and some capable fish.

also have a wall were customers can bring in pictures of their tank set ups to show + notice board for customers looking/sell for spacific items

Electricity, insurance, staffing costs, accountant and legal costs, ACC, Kiwisaver levies, Opportunity costs, Initial capital outlay and many many more!

Then if you do run a profit, there are taxes :slfg:

At-least you can depreciate all store assets as per IRD regulations.

Good quality fish and reliable suppliers. I have been a customer and inadvertently a supplier of the goldfish bowl Hamilton for the last 20 yrs. They are top notch and recently have changed ownership but still have a similar following with the new owner. A wide range of fish catering to all types of customers is the key. As a key buyer you will be supplied with the best fish that smaller buyers will not have preference to. Although.... Large buyers that are pushy and rude will not get the best deals as I have seen this first hand :wink:

location, location, location

why is your store better than everyone else? also why does it have to only be fish>? why not reptile/bird/small animals? more money in that then just fish?

Since most things have been mentioned, I'll just focus on the things that haven't been said. knowledgeable staff, variety and availablility of plants are all pretty important to me. One thing I'd really like too is being able to pick specific genders of fish, but that could be a pretty big ask since fish are often hard to sex especially when trying to catch them :roll:! It might help to have some kind of niche items for sale too: making 3d backgrounds, sells rare plants (eg. red tiger lotus), sells pressurized CO2 systems/canisters, makes optiwhite /low-iron tanks or some other way to stand out from the rest. Of course, niche things can also backfire if there's no market for it, but unless if you have a fantastic location, people usually aren't too willing to travel unless if you have something unusual to attract them there for.

Have a suspicious supplier who promises to get the good stuff :roey: But, yeah I'm pretty sure they make most of their money of fish food and selling equipment over the actual fish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.