Zebra lion fish found in NZ waters

I found this article this morning on the web - believe it or not, some idiot posted something about the bad news as it was a poisonous fish species to look out for. Obvioulsy he doesnt know anything about geological location of the Kermedec Islands.

The first zebra lionfish ever recorded in New Zealand has been discovered in the Kermadec Islands.

A team of New Zealand and Australian scientists led by Auckland Museum has made the discovery.

Zebra lionfish are brilliantly coloured with zebra-like patterning on their scales, fins and tail.

Other finds include an eel that none of the fish experts on the expedition could identify. It could be a new species but that won't be confirmed until an expert can look at it.

The Kermadec Islands are 1,000km north east of mainland New Zealand and have been protected as a 'no-take marine reserve' for more than 20 years.

Awesome! I'd convert my big tank to a SWFO if I could get a big P. volitans! I know people who have seen them at the peak of summer while diving off the coast of Northland, doubt they'd last a winter though.

They may be pests in warmer parts of the world where people have released them, but when they're spread naturally like this its not right to consider them an invasive pest, its just part of the natural ever changing world...

They may be pests in warmer parts of the world where people have released them, but when they're spread naturally like this its not right to consider them an invasive pest, its just part of the natural ever changing world...

But we as humans don't want to let nature take its course... :roll: :lol:

Heck yes, one of the fish I would like to keep in a marine, swam with plenty of them in Tonga, mainly the zebra lionfish but there were also dwarf lionfish, didn't find any volitans. Of course I tried to poke them :facepalm: