Mynahs pecking at sores on pigs ears

oneeyedfrog

Our pet pig - who lives out in a paddock has had some sores on her ears for a few weeks now. I've been putting zinc and/or antibiotic cream on. I couldn't figure why they weren't healing- it's like shes been scratching them. I just saw why- the beep beep mynahs are pecking at them!

I had a similar problem with a horse years ago with a bad wound just above his hoof . I solved that problem - he wore a travel boot for weeks.

Apart from shooting all the mynahs , locking her up inside somewhere till its healed or making her some sort of hat :D does anyone know of something I could put on her that would repell the mynahs?

Too many other animals around for shooting and poisoning. We have a large dog but I can't get her to stay on the pigs back LOL

Sugar ( the pig) is gonna have babies and they will be the bacon.

I've checked her for lice- none.

I'll just have to try slathering her ears with different concoctions and start designing a hat for pigs :D

could you try put a sheeth over that part of the ear with tabasco sourse os some other hot

That would only have the effect of likely causing a lot of pain to the pig making its ears tastier for the birds. Capsaicin basically only effects mammals, birds are completely uneffected.

Either some kind of bittering agent, pets shops might have some sprays intended to stop puppies from chewing on things, or a hat.:)

LFS's sell lick proof coverings for animal wounds, they are a tan colored thick sticky pad. Not sure if they work cause they taste bad of just because they are lick proof. If you can't find one locally you welcome to PM me and I organise one for you.

But are they peck proof? I don't think the mynahs are licking the pig's ears :wink:

I did not know such things as lick proof coverings, special hats and hoods were available for animals (never having had the need for any). How interesting! 8)