L270 Pleco Advice

Joutei

Hi guys , im thinking of purchasing an L270 Pleco.

Just doing some research on them before I intend to buy one.

So Fish Forums , please advise on what to feed them, what would make them feel more comfortable, etc.

All input in appreciated.

My Tank:

Juwel Rekord 600 (63 Litre)

Filter does 200 litres per hour

Air stone running 24/7

Standard Lighting

Couple of Java fern

Couple of Dwarf sag

Driftwood

Inhabitants:

x1 Veil tail Blue Ram

x2 Electric Blue Rams

x5 Panda Corydoras

First up I would suggest getting a heater guard. My first choccie burned himself against the heater.

Get a hidey hole type ornament or make a hidey hole by stacking stones or something. They love to hide.

I feed jbl nova tab, hikari algae wafers (they eat it although its for the bristlenoses) brine shrimp and blood worms (not too much bloodworms it can cause constipation)

I tend to feed twice a day, mind you I have lots of bristlenose babies at the moment. I usually feed the frozen brine shrimp in the morning and the hikari algae wafer and jbl nova tab at night. I also feed new spectrum food at night for my shooling fish and have noted that they nibble on that too.

Be aware that they do poop a lot and for that reason I do a 10 to 30% (depending on how bad it is) waterchange once a week.

Keep a good eye on temps and water tests as they like it to remain the same and no sudden changes :wink:

They are a super little fishy to have, hope you enjoy yours.

Hi guys , im thinking of purchasing an L270 Pleco.

Just doing some research on them before I intend to buy one.

So Fish Forums , please advise on what to feed them, what would make them feel more comfortable, etc.

Yo, DJ P up in the club, you know what it is

Chocolate Zebras, scientifically known as Hypancistrus sp. (L-270) are primarily carnivorous. Most of what you feed them should consist of live or frozen foods. My advice would be to keep the remaining specimen fed on any of the available carnivore pellets (Hikari has a good carnivore tablet I believe, also various brands of shrimp pellets and such) and every now and then the feeding of say a decent spirulina pellet or I maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. But something that can fill the nutritional gap, allowing them to receive the extra vitamins and such that are not present in the main diet, what DJ Pauly would do anyway.

If you PM me i can give you tips on how to arrange your tank , what to maybe add and what not. Don't worry, everyone was a novice at one stage!

- DJ Pauly Plec, you know what it is

are we feeding it now are we?

DJ Pauly giving a little back,

Feel free to drop me a PM too, don't be shy, anyone can pm me actually if they need tips on plecs. There was once a man who said with great power comes great responsibility, i actually know quite a bit about plecs, and i feel i have a certain level of responsibility to help the newbies. I feel i just feel i owe that to the community

If all advice is given via PM's then nobody else gets the benefit of the knowledge, and that is what this site is about - sharing the knowledge.

Ayo, of course, I understand . Just trying to reach out to all types of people, some may feel too embarrassed are more than welcome to PM me, and i will try my best to reply

Pauly DJ

For what it is worth

The primary breeder/supplier of these fish feeds almost exclusively JBL 'Novatab'.

The odd spirulina tab wouldn't go astray-although they would probably get what they need from algae/driftwood vegetation etc.

Cave- Ceramic or bamboo-maybe something like a flat piece of schist stone angled over cave to give a bit of cover therefore confidence