The loaches, corydora & oto tank - movies from page 11

Sophia

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sophia I recently added to my group of mosquito rasbora, and noticed a variation in a couple that resembles the photo of your one. I'm guessing there must be some batch contamination as these ones seem to resemble Boraras merah, not Boraras brigittae. Nice fish still! I seem to have 2 out of about 19.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Today's update...

Since moving house in July and settling in to a well lit room, the plants became covered in a brown slimey algae that the 2 otos I added couldn't clean up. After putting the photo period down to 3 hours from 6 it still didn't work so I tried a 3 day blackout. No lights, no food, tank covered in a sheet. After the 3rd day I wiped the algae off the leaves, did a third of a tank water change, and put the lights back up to 6 hours a day. Since the last update I've removed the spindly twisted val, watched the balansae crypt revive, and added some new huge leafed crypts around the edges.

There are supposed to be 3 oto in here but could only find 1 at last count.

There are still 5 loaches and 3 corydora.

Before the blackout shots

beforeblackout4.jpg

beforeblackout3.jpg

beforeblackout2.jpg

beforeblackout1.jpg

After the blackout shots

afterblackoutsept20123.jpg

afterblackoutsept20124.jpg

afterblackoutsept20121.jpg

afterblackoutsept20122.jpg

afterblackoutsept20125.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

this tank is now empty, all occupants moved to riverbed tank.

Have put a piece of paper at the sunny end to block light and am doing a 3 day black out on the algae before I start thinking about who to put in here next and whether I should rearrange in any way.

There is 1 licorice gourami left at HFF. In your investigations are licorice gouramis available for a while or was this batch a one off?

At the end of the week I'm hoping HFF will have been able to get some mosquitoes in, and I will get about 10, which would make 14 total. Since they like the twisted val so much I thought I'd keep them in the CPD tank and either let the CPDs and erythromicrons continue to die off slowly (another is wasting), or sell the danios and just keep the mosquitos in there and see if they decide to breed. OR I'd move the CPDs and erythromicrons into this tank with a bottom dweller such as a pair of rams.