The loaches, corydora & oto tank - movies from page 11

Sophia

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a little movie made the other day of the loaches and rasbora getting a bit excited over a change in the filter position. I put the outlet out of the water so it made lots of bubbles and current, they thought it was Christmas.

Apologies in advance for the purple streak of the light reflection on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjarmrXq_vM&feature=youtu.be

not bad for second attempt at movie making eh. Next I need to work out how to turn the background sound off. I can add my own soundtrack but it doesn't stop the original one coming through over the top. That will be my holiday homework.

Not bad at all, those dwarf chain loaches looked so cute!

Today I brought the 6 rasbora from the breeding experiment in to this tank. Thought I'd make yet another movie so you can see them in action.

They were quite excited to be a bigger group and you can easily tell the natives from the newbies as the natives are very red but the natives are quite peach still, as they came from a sparse tank. You can also spot the males from the females as the females are almost diamond shaped and fat but the males are quite narrow.

It's 2 vids stuck together and the second part is of the loaches. At 1:12 you see a loachy-dash from left to right and further on at about 1:31 I show you their lair, the area behind the wood and under the filter. This is their retreat and where they take snails to eat. I have just made another movie showing the Snail Dash, will upload that one tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...

My new light for this tank arrived this morning, it's 15w 6500K. Just waiting for the silicone to set on the holders we made and then will take a photo. I'm really happy - tank has gone from looking like a dimly lit loach boudoir to a sparkling planted aquarium. Well, to me anyway. As it's double the wattage I will reduce the lighted time by a couple of hours just to be careful as I don't want to upset the plant vs algae harmony.

:happy2:

There are lots of new plants to show you as well 2 new inhabitants: an oto, and a shrimp that is twice the size of my earlier crustacean critters. There are 3 new brown wendtii crypts, some lilaeopsis in the foreground and some large java fern stuffed into the driftwood cave the loaches never use.

Since the oto went in a few days ago he's already cleaned up much of the brown algae from the back glass. When he's finished doing his duties in here I will despatch him to the CPD tank for further employment.

Full tank shot with fancy new light

fulltankshot6feb2012.jpg

Close up

closeuptankshot.jpg

Left side

leftside.jpg

Middle

middletank.jpg

Right side

rightside-1.jpg

Does anyone know why the anubias gets this dark green covering on the older leaves? There also seems to be green spot on top of the other algae.

anubias.jpg

New movies:

New Shrimp - 30secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNDMKxqN8RA

Rasbora playing in current - 1:29 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEOjY6Mcw4

Loaches and shrimp pellet – 5 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN7SjFHSn6I

This one is in 3 parts, though I apologise in advance as the first 2 parts are taken without macro setting on - the 3rd part is definitely clearer.

In this movie you see that I have put a shrimp pellet at the front of the tank but they know I'm watching and sneak around the back to get to it. On the way they boof the shrimp rudely. Then I scare them and they dash away and then come back again via the back way and disturb the shrimp again. You will also see them emerging and entering their self-dug cave on the left side, and a lone rasbora going nuts in the current near the end.

Looking great Sophia :)

About the Anubias leaves - because Anubias grows quite slowly, it often gets lots of green spot algae on its leaves, which is what yours has. It still manages to grow well, but the older leaves darken and shrivel over time. I have seen some pics of Amano tanks where there is no GPS on the Anubias and it looks amazing! I'm not sure how he manages it :dunno:

Mine Has no GSA and as Joe says it looks awesome :P . Anubias is a plant that does best in low light and in the shade of other plants and drift wood, Im guessing you just got that light and the change in brightness would have created an algae bloom.

What is the depth of ur tank?

Something interesting happened this morning - I thought I saw the shrimp in the throes of death. It was writhing on it's side looking a little pink. As I watched it turned out he was shedding his skin but with the legs scrabbling like mad and the mad look in his beady eyes, I did find it rather creepy and had to run away for a moment :gigl: .

Good things seem to be happening in here, I presume as a result of the light. The algae on the anubias that I complained about earlier seems to be gone and the crypts at the front have new leaves. The tiny schrap of hydrocotyle that wouldn't die and wouldn't live has turned to face the light and the algae is gone. All the algae on the back wall is gone and most of the brown stuff along the bottom edge of the gravel almost gone but I think that is the oto's work.

Also have not had any crypts melt in either tank since I've added lots more JBL balls and root tabs to the substrate. So yes I think that was the answer for those guys.

If this happy progress continues without going bad I will add the other bulb to the fitting on the CPD tank as that is 8w and though it looks bright in there I suspect the plants would enjoy another 8w.

:bounce:

• 2 months later...

seeing as we haven't had a good poop thread for a while... here's a photo of one of my new tank members (mosquito rasbora) with a poop longer than he is...

IMG_1410.jpg

over time the dwarf rasbora were disappearing, I found a couple of dead ones. Got down to 6 so I bulked up the numbers with 5 mosquito rasbora. I wasn't going to mix them but they were super cute and since the loaches will eat any eggs they lay there isn't much chance of cross breeding. Hard to get a clear photo of them though, so tiny and always moving.

• 1 month later...

here are the loaches playing Pea Football http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2vEmHGFo0

the tank is a bit cloudy as I moved all the crypts from the CPD tank in here and topped up the sand. The crypts were only stalks so not much to see but I figure if they are going to grow it will happen in here where my crypts have done pretty well of late. Touch wood :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Today we mourn the passing of Mr Skinny 3. After a week of palliative care, he went to fishy heaven today in the style of the wicked witch of the east, head buried under some wood and his tail sticking out.

:tears:

I had wormed the tank 2 or 3 weeks ago and the others that I suspected were looking thinner, have all plumped up again. Was too late for MS3 though.

• 1 month later...

moved house late last week... I think I had the full 10 or 11 rasbora at that time, I caught them for the move, then put them back home when we got to the new house. They had no more than about 1/4 of fresh water after the move as I took most of the water with me. Today I see there are 5 left. Don't know if they have been eaten or died and then eaten or what - as usual no dead bodies :dunno: . The only thing that was different other than the actual move is that for the last week I fed them quite lightly, one is looking a little skinny so I will feed them up for a while and see what happens ... this could be a good time to change the inhabitants though ....thinking about doing hillstream loaches in this tank