How do I make my sump return pump Quieter

si_sphinx

Yesterday I removed my return pump from my sump and plumbed in externally to reduce vibrations.

Now i have it set up this way, it is even noisier. The vibrations have stopped but the motor itself seems to be louder than the vibrations were. :an!gry

So I have incased the pump in a cardboard box lined with poly and filter wool for sound insulation, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I think having the pump in the sump, the water insulated the noise from it.

What has anyone else done to reduce the noise from the return pumps? :dunno:

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

What has anyone else done to reduce the noise from the return pumps? :dunno:

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Put it back in the water, why would you think plumbing it externally where it doesn't have 100 lbs of water damping the noise would be quieter?

It has soft hose going to and from the pump.

I thought the vibrations would stop plumbing it externaly as that is what other people have done. And it did stop the vibration through the sump and stand but the pump itself is noisy.

The pump I am using is an ALEAS AH-5 submersible pump rated at 6000LPH at 0m head height. (A cheap one from trademe as thats all i could afford at the time).

Maybe i should get a better pump?

The sump is sitting on poly.

I could screw to pump to a board but that would only reduce the vibration but its not really the vibration that is bugging me.

What return pumps have everyone used that are quiet. I need it to be reasonably quiet as the tank is in the lounge right behind the couch and I have to turn the tv up to hear it :roll:

Hang the pump in the sump so that it is not touching anything and the water should stop mots if not all the noise

That sounds like a good idea, I might have to try it. Hang it from a chain with a piece of rubber between the chain and pump?

eheims can go up to a very high flow.

but high price:D

i reckon just condtion yourself to forget about the sound:D

once i did that with the beeping of my fire alarm.... i could not hear it anymore, but everyone else could, even if i stood under it, i actually could not hear it.

weird:D