OMG L046 (Zebra Plecos)...

Windsparrow

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any real information from hff not just a nod from a store person.

is there that much fear with these fish that it is a national secret to keep them? don't get me wrong, they are stunning fish but just an over priced tank cleaner that you rarely see from what i understand about their behaviour.

Expensive due to the fact there hard to breed and you can no longer import wild caught fish and considered to be one of the nicest looking catfish around... Wouldn't be the best tank cleaner being that there carnivorous (correct me if I'm wrong Rabbit). In fact Tropheus would be better algae grazers/ tank cleaners than them and a lot of people consider a group of Tropheus to be pretty overpriced as well.....

Meh rant over.

Has anyone had any real information from hff not just a nod from a store person.

Expensive due to the fact there hard to breed and you can no longer import wild caught fish and considered to be one of the nicest looking catfish around... Wouldn't be the best tank cleaner being that there carnivorous (correct me if I'm wrong Rabbit). In fact Tropheus would be better algae grazers/ tank cleaners than them and a lot of people consider a group of Tropheus to be pretty overpriced as well.....

Meh rant over.

:lol: what they eat is precisely what we are discussing but thanks for that info all the same, i now know more about them. a "tank cleaner" is also a name i use as a general term for catfish. 8)

i am well aware of why they are expensive, that doesn't mean they are not overpriced or the people in the chain of supply aren't taking advantage of the situation. I also totally agree about the tropheus being over priced & I am doing what i can to change that. :wink:

Yeah breed the snot out of them

how else do they become more common? should we not breed anything? what does breed the snot out of them supposed to mean?

i keep tropheus in a tank, they breed & i sell the fry. it's not like they get a lecture every morning about pairing off or i somehow force them to breed. They simply get good conditions & food & the rest takes care of itself. If they don't breed they don't, if they do they do. other than keeping them i have no control over them spawning. it seems you resent that for some reason, would you like to explain that so i can understand your perspective?

I just like that saying :wink:

i questioned that as I have heard that saying a few times in a derogatory way about johannes, mike & ryan & i simply don't understand the thoughts behind it. :dunno:

Oh and how did you edit your post with out it saying edit?

if you edit a post before someone replies it doesn't tell anybody :kiss:

Yeah Im gona go for it!

I going to buy the Zebra pleco and put it with my tropheus deboisi.

I think they will look great in my wall mounted aquarium. I have the tank in my minimalist kitchen stainless trim. Nice :happy2: .

Zebra danios are great dither will go awesome with them should go with my black and white theme!

Ive done my research on the internet and the Zebra plecs should go ok in a Ph of 7.5 so the Trohpeus will fine.

i guess its "each to their own"

Some would claim Red or Gold arowanas fetching 2000 above up to 150,000 dollars are jsut over priced glorified meat eating machines.

Some would claim plecos are boring they sit there and do nothing.

Some would claim african cichlids are boring too... etc

the list goes on.

some love neon tetras - while i see them as feeders or not even as they are toosmall.

this fish si rare, hard to breed and also very striking, in real ife they are as white and contrasted with the black stripes as tehy are in most photoshopped and touched up photographs you see online.

to me, they are too small, the fact theye at meat gets my engine revvin, but too small:D

i think they are also a trophy fish.

like the banded knife, i never see mine alli know its alive.... but its rare in thsi country so i got it.

for some, rarity is novelty:D

Zebra plecos are awesome :) I am glad to hear someone has bred them and they are getting spread around.. I like to breed the snot out of stuff especially stuff that is harder to get, my main motivation for this is to get the fish out there in the hope that we will keep species in NZ. You just never know what will never be imported again, talking to people who kept fish 20+ years ago we had all sorts of things in the country that we now don't have and will never (legally) be imported again maybe if these people had forums/trademe and bred the snot out of things and spread them all over NZ we would still have them? I know some people are against this because with supply/demand if you supply more prices drop and that makes sense but wont help us if MAF just closed the borders and we lost half the species we now have in the country.

Either way as I started out zebra plecos look cool :)