Neophema pulchella breeding log (LOTS OF PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Joe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floofie Update :happy2: YAY! :happy1:

They're 16 days old. They are getting their first feathers. I took some close-ups of the wings and tail so you can all see the lovely blue and green feathers coming through. The hen hasn't sat on them for three or four days now, but still goes into the nest box to feed the floofies. I'm thinking about handling them now each day to get them tame. Is this a good idea?

floofies005.jpg

floofies013.jpg

floofies016.jpg

floofies017.jpg

floofies018.jpg

floofies022.jpg

floofies028.jpg

floofies023.jpg

I currently feed the parents on a 1:1 ratio of Top Flite Canary Mix and Finch Mix. I also feed them PCL Barnyard Layer Pellets

What's the calcium level in the pellets? Layer pellets usually have fairly high levels of calcium used up by full-time egg laying machine hens, you can have complications if you feed layer pellets to birds which wouldn't use up all the calcium and cause kidney damage. Just a something to look out for? I know nothing about Turks so perhaps all the calcium is fine...

Do you have a thread of pics of all your finches? I love European Finches they're my favourite - I'd love to see pics 8)

I'll check the packaging and find out what the calcium levels are :wink:

There is really no point in starting a thread about my finches because I only have three :lol: One male Goldfinch, and a pair of Chaffinches that were delivered yesterday. I'm going to get more Goldfinches - I'd like at least three pairs, and a couple of pairs of Greenfinches, and possibly some Redpolls. I have five canaries, which I'm going to sell once I start getting more European Finches.

Other birds are a pair of Chinese Painted Quail, 12 Turtle Doves (I only have one pair in the aviary, the rest are in a seperate aviary) my Turks, a pair of Bourke's Grass Parakeets (Neophema bourkii) five Canaries (three Border Fancies, one Buff Variegated Red Factor, one Frosted Red Factor). My dad and I have approx. 60-70 pigeons, and we also have three bantams.

There is really no point in starting a thread about my finches because I only have three :lol: One male Goldfinch, and a pair of Chaffinches that were delivered yesterday. I'm going to get more Goldfinches - I'd like at least three pairs, and a couple of pairs of Greenfinches, and possibly some Redpolls. I have five canaries, which I'm going to sell once I start getting more European Finches.

I love Redpolls. Unfortunately they are more common in the South Island and to be honest I don't think I've seen them in Tauranga? It's a shame you don't live locally there is a shop here that almost always have Goldfinches for sale and they're usually about $6 each from memory. They did have Yellow Hammers awhile back, which are one of my favourites, but haven't had them since. I went to the Pukekohe Bird Sale last year (I think it was in Pukekohe? or Drury? Dunno) and you could buy any European Finch you wanted at very reasonable prices! I was very excited!! But I don't have an aviary... the 10 different breeds of chickens I keep are enough birds for me I think... lol

I atleast want photos of the new Chaffinches. :evil:

:D

Wow Goldfinches for $6 each :hail: :happy1: :happy2: :bounce: That is AMAZING! I got my one as a pair for $25, but the female got a stroke or something and died.

I have a friend who has some Redpolls, and got them with the red on them, but ever since they molted while they were in the aviary they haven't retained their beautiful red colour. I wonder what sort of food they need to keep their colours? BTW I'm not a fan of colour-feeding. I think natural stuff is much better. I give my birds oranges and the Goldfinch's face is a lovely shade of deep red.

You may have to wait for photos a week or so for them to settle in - they are extremely timid and I can't get near them. The aviary is about 4m long, and even when I enter the sheltered area and they're in the flight they still panick, and I'm meters away from them :roll:

How many temperate Finches are availible in NZ? I know of Redpolls, Yellow Buntings, Cirl Buntings, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Sparrows. There are also Red Hooded siskens I think, but they do require slightly warmer quaters from what I've been told. They are very hard to get.

You should get an avairy :bounce: Temperate Finches are very low maintenance. As long as they are provided with clean water and good-quality seed and minerals, they are easy to look after and make almost no mess.

Yesterday I had a talk with the lady who sold me the pair of Turks and she said that because they are very good parents they should be fine with me handling the floofies every day. So I held each one in the evening yesterday for a couple of minutes per bird so they get used to being handled.

How many temperate Finches are availible in NZ? I know of Redpolls, Yellow Buntings, Cirl Buntings, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Sparrows. There are also Red Hooded siskens I think, but they do require slightly warmer quaters from what I've been told. They are very hard to get.

You've pretty much summed them all up. There are a few siskin species in NZ but most of them require warmer climates and are very expensive with very few people breeding them.

I had a complete last years census of all the finches in NZ from the Finches Breeders Society (of members, there are others) but I have misplaced it? There are quite a few species with very few registered. It is very surprising how many finches are actually in NZ that you never see on TM or in Petshops. Very surprising!

As soon as you find it PM me :bounce: I'd love to know exactly what's in NZ.

There is a local breeder who breeds exotic finches. He has Gouldians, Red-cheeked Cordons, Cuban Finches, Cherry Finches and Red-billed Fire Finches and one or two others.

Time for another floofie update :happy2: :happy1:

I cannot believe it - they're now 21 days old :o Every time I open the box to get them out to be handled they make a noise like an old rusty wind-up toy :lol: But they are still very cute :P

birdiepics023.jpg

birdiepics024.jpg

birdiepics025.jpg

birdiepics028.jpg

I also had a little dove hatch the other day :D

birdiepics012.jpg

birdiepics017.jpg

birdiepics020.jpg

This morning I managed to get some pics of the new Chaffinches :bounce:

Female:

femalechaffinch.jpg

Male: