Neophema pulchella breeding log (LOTS OF PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Joe

I found these in the nest box on the 19th when I went into the aviary to show a friend my birds, and I decided to check the nest box and see what was going on inside. I took this picture yesterday. So they're 3 days old. Currently there are four, plus another egg that will hopefully hatch.

aviaryphotos005.jpg

This is the second time that my Turquoisines have bred. The first time was an utter failure, with only one chick hatching and then dieing a couple of days later.

I can't wait to see how this lot goes! :bounce:

Joe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they're soooo cute! I've seen baby budgies before, and they are so ugly and look nowhere near as cute as baby Turks. I wonder what it is about the Turks that makes them so cute?

I currently feed the parents on a 1:1 ratio of Top Flite Canary Mix and Finch Mix. I also feed them PCL Barnyard Layer Pellets, provided dry and soaked so they have a choice. I gave them softfood, which the canaries nibbled at, but the Turks didn't eat much and most of it went to waste so I don't give it to them. They get apples and oranges whenever possible and spinach leaves, all of which the absolutely love!

Thanks guys!

If anyone is interested in keeping these guys, they are very affordable. I got my pair for $40 - dirt cheap! They do need a large space though - my aviary is 4x2x2m I think.

I checked on the nestlings last night while the hen was having a feed and they're all doing well.

No it hasn't hatched, but the hen hasn't kicked it out either. Also I read the thread about the lovebirds, and how one egg hatched a week (or near enough) from the other one. So there is a possibility that it may hatch (I hope).

This isn't related to the topic, but I was talking to a friend last night who offered me a free pair of Chaffinches :happy2: The bird numbers are slowly accumulating again :roll:

Quick update.

The little fuzz balls are now eight days old, and growing fast. They're very large and healthy. I think it is those pellets that I've been feeding the parents. I also put an orange in the aviary for the parents, sliced in half and each half skewered on a nail. They got some fresh spinach leaves too.

floofies01.jpg

floofies02.jpg