December 17, 201015 yr comment_410712 Hey everyone For awhile i've been thinking about using glass jars for holding my bettas on shelves. I'm not sure yet if I want to make the "barracks" system or will just do unfiltered jars. Either way I was hoping to have 2l+ jars to do it with. I know I can use 2.25l coke bottles but the jars are harder to knock over and will hopefully look better. Preferably square jars. I could always set up a shelf where the bottles sit in nice and snug but I would prefer glass jars Anybody know where I can get some? I've seen some big coffee jars but the guy that gave me it uses like 1 every 3 months... Thanks in advance Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410721 check out the warehouse and similar. they sell a selection of glass jars not sure if anything is big enough though Report
December 17, 201015 yr Author comment_410724 Worth a try. I wonder what it will cost per jar though? Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410727 something like this? http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Camille-Tapered-Glass-Vase-14.3x6x15cm?SKU=1313522 Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410728 malevolentsparkle is right , the ones i use in my tanks are for the warehouse and there are http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Camille-Cylinder-Glass-Vase-30cm?SKU=1143739 there work good in my tanks and look good to with a live plant in with them cheers bg Report
December 17, 201015 yr Author comment_410729 something like this? http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Camille-Tapered-Glass-Vase-14.3x6x15cm?SKU=1313522 Its a good idea but $10 for a vase could probably get me a cheap tank from TM Report
December 17, 201015 yr Author comment_410730 malevolentsparkle is right , the ones i use in my tanks are for the warehouse and there are http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Camille-Cylinder-Glass-Vase-30cm?SKU=1143739 there work good in my tanks and look good to with a live plant in with them cheers bg I'm planning on getting like 30-40 so I cant really afford them :-? Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410740 see if you can get a tank maker to make small jar sized tanks, they could probably use off cuts Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410775 I guess the old preserving jars aren't big enough. You can get them real cheap at recycling places. Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410779 They are big enough--you just have to change the water more often. You can build a purpose built setup from glass with mesh on the bottom that sits inside another tank and provides heaps of containers. To do a water change you just lift it up then drop it. That is what I used when breeding fighters. Report
December 17, 201015 yr comment_410786 Hi Joshlikesfish. Would something like this do the trick for you? http://www.stowers.co.nz/products/6378PTCL.html Report
December 17, 201015 yr Author comment_410791 I guess the old preserving jars aren't big enough. You can get them real cheap at recycling places. How big are they?They are big enough--you just have to change the water more often. You can build a purpose built setup from glass with mesh on the bottom that sits inside another tank and provides heaps of containers. To do a water change you just lift it up then drop it. That is what I used when breeding fighters.That sounds like it would work Then I just change the tank water like normal?Hi Joshlikesfish. Would something like this do the trick for you? http://www.stowers.co.nz/products/6378PTCL.htmlI've had a look at that site. Funnily enough I never saw that :lol: I'll inquire Report
December 19, 201015 yr comment_411071 malevolentsparkle is right , the ones i use in my tanks are for the warehouse and there are http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Camille-Cylinder-Glass-Vase-30cm?SKU=1143739 there work good in my tanks and look good to with a live plant in with them cheers bg how do you heat these??? or are they in a heated room? Report
December 19, 201015 yr comment_411100 i got three in my main tank and i got 12 setting on the tank in this weather there stay warm and in cold weather i just put them in a heated room or use breeding traps to hold them in the tanks like the 4 way fighter traps and have them on the back of the tanks , cheers bg Report
December 19, 201015 yr comment_411121 I think the preserving jars were 1 quart so about 1L This site may help; http://www.ewsinton.co.nz/shop/glasswar ... ving-jars/ Report
December 21, 201015 yr Author comment_411455 I think the preserving jars were 1 quart so about 1L This site may help; http://www.ewsinton.co.nz/shop/glasswar ... ving-jars/ http://www.ewsinton.co.nz/shop/glasswar ... clip-top3l Those look good Report
December 21, 201015 yr comment_411493 http://www.ewsinton.co.nz/shop/glasswar ... clip-top3l Those look good yeah that would do nicely , and just drill some small holes in the lide for air to come in Report
March 19, 201115 yr comment_426424 are you still after jars for Betas? Ive got prob 30 or so 2litres preserving jars.. they are round but strong i were going to use these for my beta breeding setup when i were breeding but went unused only thing im in chch Report
March 19, 201115 yr comment_426452 You could also try these guys - http://arthurholmes.co.nz/ they have a big selection of glass jars and sell to the public, and there is no minimum buy. Report
March 19, 201115 yr comment_426453 bought some jars here for jam, they have a whole range of jars and at wholesale prices too - beats the shops http://www.wainhousedist.co.nz/products.html look up the code and then find it's price in the pricing guide under the downloads section. Also there is this place http://www.arthurholmes.co.nz/index.php?cPath=1176 and they deliver also. got same idea as TawnyKitty - Wainhouse are in St Lukes and there isn't a minimum either Report
March 19, 201115 yr Author comment_426455 Thanks you two. They didn't seem to have any bigger then 300something ml jars though. I may have been looking wrong :-? :lol: Report
March 19, 201115 yr comment_426479 in this bit http://www.wainhousedist.co.nz/forms/Pa ... 0Guide.pdf page 2 at the bottom there are some preserving jars that go up to about 5 litres for about $10 each exc GST. They might do the job. If you ring them during the week and press the button for glass sales the guy there is quite helpful. Report
March 19, 201115 yr comment_426497 I sure am. Where did you get them from? I got them from a local Beta breeder in CHCH the jars the jars look to hold aprox 2 litres and are about 150mm in diameter and 200-250 tall.. they might even hold 3 litres.. i just thought they were a good size for Seperating fry as alot more space than most cells have. the jar does have a embossed brand on one side but small price really They are large preserving jars... Where abouts in nz are you? shipping would be the only issue if you wanted them i were going to put them on trademe as I have about 30 of them going unused Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.