thin or thicker gravel syphon...which has stronger suction

henward

i ahve silica sand, and plecos tend to poo alot.

i currently use a thick bore gravel syphon, i cant syphon the sand so just hand it over the poo whcih doesnt sink in.

i find that its slow and sluggish to suck the watste

however, aqua one makes a gravel siphon which has a widened end but very thin tube.

would a thinner tube such the particles faster?

i know thicker means it moves more water at one time, but i want to move water FASTER not more at one time.

any feedback?

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... ner/m/937/

standard thicker tube

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 0cm/m/937/

thinner tube

just getting opinions, i was using same method as david, thinner tube.

but i was told that should use a thicker tube - i will prob just get a pvs pipe and attach a hose to it,

the hose cant straighten out enough, and my tank is too deep and high fromt he ground, fi i stand on a chair i find it awkeward to see properly and i suck up too much sand haha

i need a wand type long stick suction tool:D

so cheap pvc will do i guess.

i used one of the big gravel vacs with a short length of rigid pipe then about 19mm dia hose on it

i cut the clear plastic tube down a bit though after observing where the turbulence for stirring up the gravel muck was greatest

the extra length i the rigid bit allowed me o observe from the front of the tank while manipulating the vac

Mine is a self starting vac quite like this http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/im ... TT1244.jpg and the end of the pipe is about an inch diameter. Got it off trademe for about $15 but there aren't any there at the moment. You shake it up and down a few times and then it starts sucking the water out itself. I found the smaller tube and hard pipe much easier to work with than the aqua one type vac and you can increase or decrease the flow with the knob at the top. I have a piece of wider hose cable-tied to the side of the bucket so I thread the small pipe through that and then I don't have to hold the end in the bucket while I weave the other end about trying not to suck up fry.

To get stuff up without sucking up too much sand I would just stir the wand end about to get the mulm moving and then it would start sucking up.

• 2 months later...