THE INDUSTRY BEHIND THE HOBBY.

reef

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of repeating what alanmin4304 has already said, it seems that the new proposals will reduce costs with regards to many species:

As mentioned Alanmin4304 does not have a clue.

Many of the Livebearers/angels fish are prone to iridovirus.

Already MAF are testing and destroying large amounts of fish. so if some fish are testing positive to the virus then all of them have to be destroyed, even if they look healthy. on top of that any other species of Livebearers have to be tested or destroyed.

no disease outbreaks have been reported in more than 10 years. This suggests the current quarantine measures are sufficient to mitigate the risk.

As far as I am aware Maf have only recently been testing for iridovirus. There are many fish dying from signs which are the same as iridovirus so there is a good chance that there have been outbreaks. They have not been confirmed because they have not been tested for but it is likely that that disease or a similar one is the cause for mysterious deaths in many fish such as guppies Rams etc (which are proposed to be in the high risk catagory). This is likely to put the price of these fish up so it would be a good time for people to breed good quality healthy fish of these types.

There are many fish dying from signs which are the same as iridovirus so there is a good chance that there have been outbreaks.

Fish dying in fish tanks is not a outbreak, what exotic disease has been released in the environment from a quarantine facility in the last 10 years?

Something funny from the Aussie forum

No batch testing is being done on humans from known countries of infectious diseases of significance. The ornamental fish import industry has the most changes made to it on a yearly basis, particularly over the last 20 years. What other industry gets this much attention? Why are we are such a soft target? Are fish fillets for human consumption imported from SE Asia being tested for viruses as well? Seeing as these viruses can survive freezing – what will stop aquaculturists from feeding imported fillets to their stock.

Piscine tuberculosis

Hardly a exotic disease at all. even so, the fish trade is hardly responsible for 300-400 cases

so we should quarantine new immigrants for 6 weeks and then cull them is any disease is found

Tuberculosis continues to occur in New Zealand. On average 350-400 cases occur each year. In New Zealand, in 2004, there were 372 persons notified with tuberculosis (new cases and reactivations

The recent resurgence of tuberculosis in New Zealand, fuelled by immigrants from third world countries with high rates of infection,

I speak of the exotic zoonotic disease piscine tuberculosis which has been transmitted from fish in quarantine to people working in the facility on a number of occasions in NZ. There have also been outbreaks of whirling diseease in trout hatcheries and who would know where it originates from.

I think you are missing the point a bit. There are many diseases which are not normally found in NZ and the reason they are not is because of the precautions taken at our borders. For instance we have managed to avoid the plague because we do not have rat fleas here and we try to make sure rats are kept out by keeping foreign ships free of rats. This is the purpose of quarantine, not to respond after there has been a massive outbreak of disease. The same applies to diseases of fish.

I suggest you test humans from known countries of infectious diseases of significance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They do:

(from immigration NZ website)

risk factors for pulmonary tuberculosis

From instructions: A4.25.5 Definition of person with risk factors for pulmonary tuberculosis

A person is considered to have risk factors for pulmonary tuberculosis if:

they hold a passport issued by a country not listed in A4.25.10; or

in the five years prior to application they have spent a combined total of three or more months in any one or more countries not listed in A4.25.10.

Despite (a)(i) above, if an applicant provides evidence that satisfies an immigration officer they have never lived or spent time in the country that issued their passport, and (a)(ii) does not apply, they will not be considered to have risk factors for pulmonary tuberculosis and the requirement to undergo a TB screening X-ray and provide the associated Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate form will not apply.

Simple.I dont bother to import.Simple reason is the costs.I also was the last to import goldfish under a 4 year Q and last but not least.

Review of manual was 762 dollars for 25 mimute visit..Regected 3 times and told i have to pay..It could have been thousands...

I told maf after about 3 years that i will not play there silly games.

And told them to just cancel my import license

Now the amazon fish i was importing with heavy losses means as i doubt anyone else with bother

Means the hole hobby and business will never get to see the rare types.

Red Wood in ch-ch bob ward when i visited was getting lab bills for thousands...

Just think..You import a shipment like as in the past 40 grand..They take 50% to test..And zip to stop them ..You bill for maybe 10 grand...Your out of business...

Braver man than me can take on the govt but you cannot win as i call them as.Give a kid a desk and a pen and you have a little h..... just like the acc...

Breeding in NZ is now the only way

The reason goldfish were banned was...Goldfish could carry virus unknown and be dangerous to man.

Argue with that thinking.

Protect what you have as i think they Erma Along with MAF do want to stop imports..

I think they forget that while to protect NZ that we are so green that we export coal to over sea's power stations..

Protect what you have as i think they Erma Along with MAF do want to stop imports..

Sure they are trying to stop imports, or make the cost to high for hobbyist to buy stock,

Compliance is getting out of control.

compliance costs have risen in most businesses for various reasons

import of live fish is a small part of everything bio security deals with

import or export of any fish or animal anywhere in the world carries a risk of introduction of diseases to countries where the native wildlife has no natural defence to a new disease

regulations are being tightened up all over the world as countries have learnt that introduced fish/animals have become major pests in environments that have evolved without them

some cycads were imported into the country only a few years ago, it was then found 3 new diseases had come in with them

regulations were changed to prevent this happening again which meant more cost which meant those management costs were passed on

Fish are not Race Horse's..Thats the real problem as 'they' race horses travel the planet with as i understand no quarantine.

$$$$$$$$ Thats what makes the real difference as racing is Taxed and thats the key.

Fish make the govt very little...

But Bio & Erma dont take into account...Every time the wind blows you get a new packet of seeds...Birds on the wing travel the planet

But because they all want to keep there jobs they have to come up with new ways to justify there place or get layed off...