Cyclists experiences

smidey

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing that palmy drivers are really bad when it comes to cyclists, but I have actually been impressed at how good they are at giving way to cyclists, and allowing them into the appropriate lane at roundabouts.

Worst I have had was being severely cut off by another cyclist.

I've seen 2 bike vs car accidents. One was the new young riders fault as she didn't indicate pulling into the median lane. Was lucky she only got hit by the side view mirror. Other time was a guy going into his driveway as we were coming around a corner.

I've had a lot of abuse shouted at me though. I know people that have been sprayed by bottles etc. Sometimes cars will swerve at you and cut you off on purpose. Back when I was really into riding I was getting shouted at once a week at least, which was one in four rides

All I know is that at the bottom of the hill there are often accidents.

A friend of mine's mother once hit a cyclist there. When crossing the right lane to turn up the hill, you cannot see the cycle lane. As the road is always busy, you'd be lucky to get a gap large enough to slow down and check the cycle lane. She did not get a chance to do so though, and the cyclist was going above 30kmph (straight road, lots of tailwind) and they collided.

Thats all I know.

She lost her licence for 6 months.

I gave up riding on the road years ago, value my life too much, especially in Auckland.

IMO both parties are equally as bad as each other. The "prance armstrongs" on their $10k carbon bikes dressed up in lycra riding in a huge pack along tamaki drive to get their decaf extra hot soy latte in a tall glass on a saturday morning, and the arrogant impatient motorists who appear to be blind to people on bikes and nearly run them off the road because they are too important to slow down and lose 20 seconds on their morning commute waiting to get past a slow bike.

I clocked up thousands of km's on northland roads about 15 years ago when I was in highschool, and the majority of people were pretty good and would give you space, although now the roads are a lot busier out maungatapere/kokopu/matarau with all the new lifestyle blocks. And no matter how many considerate drivers there are it only takes one moron to put an end to it, you don't often get a second chance in a car vs. bike.

*edit* and just to clarify, I have never been a roadie, I've been riding mountain bikes since I was 13 (nearly 17 years ago!) and used to ride my mountain bike during the week for a bit of training. I must confess, I did wear lycra back in the mid-90's when it was actually cool to do so, but as soon as they became available I started wearing cycling shorts that looked like "normal" clothes, not tour de france team colours. Yes, you can actually get padded shorts that look normal and function just as well as the tight lycra ones, so there's no excuse for over-weight middle aged men to be crowding cafe's on sunday morning wearing tight pants!!!

Here's a pic of my current ride, wasn't cheap but worth every cent!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/ ... urner1.jpg

I work in Newmarket (Auckland) and we are a bunch at work that ride every day in our lunch time.. for excercise.. and yes auckland traffic is pretty dodgy with the crappy roads and the different characters that David has described so well :hail: ..

I had an encounter with a truck a year ago and broke a few ribs but actually just the other day a work mate smashed into the back of a car going into the roundabout at the bottom of Ayr st. at full speed (Aucklanders might know that this is one of the steepest streets in town).

The term "friends don't let friends ride carbon" came to mind after picking up the pieces of his carbon bike.. The frame had literally cracked/snapped straight through in 7 PLACES!!! :o (see pictures below) Guy was ok though apart from a lot of missing skin (damn lucky he was!)

Carbon001.jpg

Carbon002.jpg

Carbon003.jpg

Carbon004.jpg

Carbon005.jpg

Carbon006.jpg

Carbon007.jpg

Carbon008.jpg

I keep hearing that palmy drivers are really bad when it comes to cyclists, but I have actually been impressed at how good they are at giving way to cyclists, and allowing them into the appropriate lane at roundabouts.

Worst I have had was being severely cut off by another cyclist.

Myself and my sister were hit by a car at a intersection in palmy years ago when we were cycling to Awatapu college, she got off fairly lightly but I had some rather serious gravel rash, and one of her endearing memories was of me having to drop my pants for a pretty nurse for a tetanus shot.

I used to ride a fair bit and I always looked out for my safety in traffic. Unlike many competitive cyclists who will ride side by side or well out from the shoulder and totally ignore cars on the road. That peeves motorists big time. Plenty have been hurt bad and worse but some just don't give a toss.

I walk or cycle everywhere. My biggest problems are;

1. people who open their car doors without looking

2. cars coming out of driveways (backwards or forwards) without checking anyone is on the footpath

3. trying to get through roundabouts when idiot car drivers do not indicate correctly :evil:

It is about 80% of them that do it down here

and of course 100% of people in cars are perfect drivers who follow the road code to the letter and would never do anything stupid that may endanger the life of a cyclist, who has every legal right to be riding on the road....

Hovmoller - ouch!! You're pretty brave riding around Newmarket, TBH I'd rather be on an exercycle than risking my life sucking in fumes. I've often wondered about cycling in the inner city, is it even possible to get a decent ride in with all the traffic lights and cars?

Hovmoller - ouch!! You're pretty brave riding around Newmarket, TBH I'd rather be on an exercycle than risking my life sucking in fumes. I've often wondered about cycling in the inner city, is it even possible to get a decent ride in with all the traffic lights and cars?

I've ridden through Newmarket a few times. I didn't really think it was worth it

I agree that cyclist have the same rites to the road as I do as a driver.

If I make a mistake I get a small amount of damage to my car, if that mistake was a cyclist, he/she will be badly injured.

My pet hate with cycles is those that creep up the inside of the lane while we are stopped in heavy traffic and when the lights turn green cyclists peddle of as fast as they can 1 to 1.5 meters out from the kerb. There is no longer 1.2 meters that the law tells me I have to leave as room for them and if Im lucky, Im achievinga speed of 20 to 30 kms per hour.

Small centres wont have that problem but I get it every morning from say 8am to 9.30am

End result may well be that I get really fustrated one day and pass when I shouldnt and hit and possibly kill one. My fault, of course with out a doupt. Im still breathing and maybe they will also if they are lucky. When they get to leave hospital they are likely to be on social welfare for a long time but I would have been at work the next day.

Again, my fault yes

personally i have had more bad experiences with cyclists than good on country roads. When i was living at gumtown rd which is off Three Mile Bush (a popular cycle road) the riders would tend to be closer to the centre of the lane than to the left, on two occasions two abreast & often heading up a section of the road that was quite steep for a cyclist & very windy. i had to follow these guys & girls for approx 800m as the road was to windy & had too many rises to see what traffic was coming toward me. that was really frustrating & in this situation the riders behaved as if they had every right to do so. I am not surprised that there have been dangerous situations or abuse toward them rightly or wrongly.

Last week i was very nearly in a high speed head on collision, a lady in a station wagon came round a sweeping bend to find a cyclist in the centre of the lane heading in the same direction, she had no option but to go around him. I was heading in the opposite direction & was forced to brake very heavily & swerve out of the way partly onto the gravel verge & back onto the road to avoid the crash. Due to years of being a hoon & a heavily modified vehicle i was able to avoid it, if it was my wife driving i think there would have been a 90% of a head on. i don't know what the rules are regarding cyclists but due to him being in the centre of the lane the oncoming car had to be almost fully on my side of the road to go around him which created the situation.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadc ... rules.html

Two cyclists can ride next to each other but should take into account the keep left rule and not hold back traffic. Three or more people cycling next to each other is illegal, except in the case of a road race that has been given traffic management approval from a road controlling authority.

Two abreast and keeping left is ok, although probably not that sensible in many situations, but riding three [or more] abreast deserves all the tooting, insults and one-fingered hand gestures they get...

If the road is too narrow to safely allow vehicles to pass, you are in danger of being run off the road or hit by a passing car. In this situation it is acceptable to move further out into the path of traffic to prevent other users from passing you. If you do have to move further out, remember to find a gap, signal your intentions and move across when it is safe. Once you have moved out try to ride as quickly as you can and allow the following traffic to pass when the road widens.

When I was still riding to work in Auckland I used to do this down Mt Wellington highway. I found if I hugged the curb to give people more space to pass then they would just squeeze past and nearly knock me off, but if I was sitting about a metre out in the left lane so they actually had to change lanes to get past then they would give me more space. Mind you I was doing about 40+kmh along there and not really holding people up.

Two cyclists can ride next to each other but should take into account the keep left rule and not hold back traffic. Three or more people cycling next to each other is illegal, except in the case of a road race that has been given traffic management approval from a road controlling authority.

If the road is too narrow to safely allow vehicles to pass, you are in danger of being run off the road or hit by a passing car. In this situation it is acceptable to move further out into the path of traffic to prevent other users from passing you. If you do have to move further out, remember to find a gap, signal your intentions and move across when it is safe. Once you have moved out try to ride as quickly as you can and allow the following traffic to pass when the road widens.

i think that if cyclists continue to or more often move out into the lane the chance of being run over must increase hugely. two tons of metal at 100kmph versus 100kg of flesh & aluminium is never going to be a good result no matter what the laws are. the reality is there will always be mistakes which create collisions between people using the road, no matter who is right or wrong the weaker will pay.

I would have a lot more patience for people on bikes if they obeyed the road rules. I think the cops should start giving them tickets for not giving way. They would make millions each week if that gave them tickets for running red lights

Absolutely. About a month ago, I got hit by a cyclist (I was in a car). Light went green for me so I went and they came through on my right thinking they had enough time to run the red before we took off. He hit the front right of my car. No damage or injury to anyone but I think it gave the cyclist a wake up call.