Cyclists experiences

smidey

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclists are idiots if they dont give way and make allowances for their size and exposure regardless of whos in the right or wrong

My drivers are idiots comment is exactly the same as Barrie's cyclists are idiots comment but with cyclists changed to drivers.

isnt it interesting that you can pick a persons age by the way they think they are indestructable

My final word and hope that you cyclists survive another year in this wonderful world

Good luck and may your death be quick and your final words be "but I was in the right" :cry:

If that comment is aimed at me, I do not think I am indestructible. I have seen car vs cyclist crashes. I've seen them with my own two eyes. I ride as cautiously as possible. Just because I am on a bike doesn't give drivers the right to pull out in front of my or cut me off. It would be nice if people treated me like another driver. You and the other members comments just help me see that drivers are ignorant.

I may be young in your eyes but I've done well over 3000k on the road. More then most 16 year old's have done in cars...

Who am I trying to kid. In the eyes of you adults I'm not a young adult. I'm only a child. I'm legally old enough to drive, leave school, leave home, get a job, go to uni. But I'm still a mere child. What I say or do isn't going to change anything in your eyes.

Who am I trying to kid. In the eyes of you adults I'm not a young adult. I'm only a child. I'm legally old enough to drive, leave school, leave home, get a job, go to uni. But I'm still a mere child.

post that somewhere where you will see it when you are 25 plus, i guarantee you will realise the truth then. :D

Who am I trying to kid. In the eyes of you adults I'm not a young adult. I'm only a child. I'm legally old enough to drive, leave school, leave home, get a job, go to uni. But I'm still a mere child.

If you were doing all the above I would consider you an adult. I was working full time, driving and living away from home at 16 so I know how much it changes someone when they are actually doing all those things.

If you were doing all the above I would consider you an adult. I was working full time, driving and living away from home at 16 so I know how much it changes someone when they are actually doing all those things.

I would love to do things but that's not how it goes anymore unfortunately. I need to go to uni to be able to get a good job, or so my teachers say.

I know what I want to do career wise but I don't see it happening till I have any money :-?

Don't take it to heart. The point of the conversation is that if you're on the road in NZ on/in anything other than a cage you're putting your life in the hands of others. You can either choose to manage that risk or to ignore the risk but either way it doesn't remove the risk.

I used to believe I would be awesome on a motorbike because I have great bike handling skills offroad and I'd know how to get out of trouble etc. The one thing everybody said was "it's not you, it's the other people on the road" and I didn't want to believe it. It took one day on a motorbike to realise they were right.

We're not here to have a dig at age groups or to tell people how to live their lives. If I can pass one bit of knowledge on to anybody that can use it and it saves them from being killed by something I should have warned them about then I'm happy.

NZ roads are dangerous if you're not in a cage.

I would love to do things but that's not how it goes anymore unfortunately. I need to go to uni to be able to get a good job, or so my teachers say.

I know what I want to do career wise but I don't see it happening till I have any money :-?

It depends on what you want to do as to if you need uni. I work with a lot of people that have degrees and I done but we are doing the same job and getting paid the same.

Oh and whats the bit about " that's not how it goes anymore unfortunately" I am only 26 :o and Tania is 21. She started full time work when she was 14 (and went to school) :D

Times have changed in the past seven years though. NCEA was released in 2003 which seemed to change a few things in my opinion

See another cyclist killed by a car door open in front of her then fell under the truck on Tamaki drive this afternoon gees . :(:(:(
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/police-name-cyclist-killed-tamaki-drive-3902080

Actually driving is worst.

The top two results on google scholar (paper titles in the quote box, main results in bold):

Quite surprising, but makes sense when you think about where the intake is for car ventilation.

The devil is in the detail, "The cyclists on the cycle path had in most cases the lowest or second lowest exposure to both pollutants." and "The cyclists on the road were exposed to significantly greater levels of both benzene and particulates than the cyclists on the path.". Unfortunately this has the feel of some one using some of the facts to support all of their case. Cycle paths are quite different from cycling on the road in a lot of countries, what they aren't saying is how cyclist's on the roads compare to drivers in cars.

They interviewed a lady from the (I think) national cycling council this morning after the latest accident, after the comments you would expect about the how unsafe Tamaki drive is the interviewer asked something like, "Since every one knows it's so dangerous why don't cyclists just go another way?" after umming for a bit she replied "cause it was their right to use the road and the view is nice". I think there is a disconnect somewhere between what is your right to do, and what is plain stupid to do.

I've done at least 500k of riding on tamaki road in the last 4 years. During the school cycling season there is a fortnightly team time trial on it.

Riding during the day I have had a few close calls with oblivious people opening doors. That beach needs a proper car park or something. Also, the drivers need to check for cyclists. Its a known cyclist spot.

what is plain stupid to do.

This attitude will get cycling nowhere... We can all agree that cycling in certain places is dangerous but all I hear here is how stupid you are if you do this and that..

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that we have a problem here and instead of saying you're an idiot if you do this and that we should be saying what can we do to make things better/safer so we can all do this and that without getting hurt?

This attitude will get cycling nowhere... We can all agree that cycling in certain places is dangerous but all I hear here is how stupid you are if you do this and that..

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that we have a problem here and instead of saying you're an idiot if you do this and that we should be saying what can we do to make things better/safer so we can all do this and that without getting hurt?

Agreed.

Name calling doesn't get anybody anywhere positive.

The devil is in the detail, "The cyclists on the cycle path had in most cases the lowest or second lowest exposure to both pollutants." and "The cyclists on the road were exposed to significantly greater levels of both benzene and particulates than the cyclists on the path.". Unfortunately this has the feel of some one using some of the facts to support all of their case. Cycle paths are quite different from cycling on the road in a lot of countries, what they aren't saying is how cyclist's on the roads compare to drivers in cars.

The sentence before those was "The car driver’s exposure was on all occasions the highest for benzene and the first or second highest for particulates compared to the other modes."

Car > road cyclist > path cyclist.

What they don't mention in the abstract is where their train and bus data fitted in.

I think in this paper the paths were 2m from the road and ran along the road, so there was a distance decay effect happening.

I believe that a lot of the responsibility lies with the cyclist. As a driver I need to identify hazards. I think a cyclist should have to do the same

There is one thing cyclist do is breaking the law by riding through red lights all the time and break other rules .

They should be given a fine like motorist. the other day i was driving through royal oak and a cyclist was been complete idiod on the road swerving in and out of cars not even looking then ride straight through a crossing while people crossing, jumping on foot paths then back on the road in front of cars all the to mt Roskill..

as long as cyclists & motorists are sharing the road there will be collisions between them, unfortunately this will mean the cyclist will come off second best every time. that is the reality & cyclists need to accept that & either work with it or don't ride & run the risk.

I believe that a lot of the responsibility lies with the cyclist. As a driver I need to identify hazards. I think a cyclist should have to do the same

Cyclists do. There is just some situations created by drivers where there is no way out.

There is one thing cyclist do is breaking the law by riding through red lights all the time and break other rules .

They should be given a fine like motorist. the other day i was driving through royal oak and a cyclist was been complete idiod on the road swerving in and out of cars not even looking then ride straight through a crossing while people crossing, jumping on foot paths then back on the road in front of cars all the to mt Roskill..

They do get fines if they are caught. A friend of mine got a speeding ticket for going 60 on a 50k road. The police aren't there to see every cyclist break the rules... Just like they're not there to see every driver break the rules.

Sigh, there are SOME idiot cyclists, and many who play by the rules and ride defensively.

There are SOME idiot car drivers, and many who play by the rules and drive defensively.

In order to avoid accidents with the few genuine idiots, ALL road users need to assume that they are invisible, and everyone else is out to kill them.

Both activities are very risky, and probably the most risky thing that we do on a daily basis.

Stop blaming the other! There are times when each is at fault.

As Suphew said: there is a problem, how can we make things better?

I say this as a paranoid pedestrian, cyclist, ex-motorcyclist and car driver.