filters for kids rooms?

Sunbird73

We all have our own opinions based on varying experience. Differing opinions do not necessarily mean one is right and another wrong.

That what I tried to say :-?

My daughter (16) i would happily consider a child, and Mr Edeson sarcasm is something you seem very talented at you should learn to get what you give.

I would rather you didn't bring my personal details into this. Seeing as I'm a 'child', I could fall prey to internet predators as my personal information has now been jeopardized....

You only need to clean a filter when the water flow becomes greatly reduced. This can vary a lot depending on species of fish and stocking levels.

I use this theory in my fishroom too and it has worked fine for me, I usually only clean filters when I notice they aren't flowing much and ran 40 tanks in my old fishroom (current one is still getting setup) on this principle for over a year with no issues. What works for me may not work for others, and sometimes what is recommended (based on theory) doesn't actually work in real life. I find things with these "bacteria" very hard to believe and wonder how much scientific backing every theory has.

That what I tried to say :-?

I would rather you didn't bring my personal details into this. Seeing as I'm a 'child', I could fall prey to internet predators as my personal information has now been jeopardized....

Maybe it should not be posted on such sites as the FNZAS Facebook page, being a public page and all.

Maybe it should not be posted on such sites as the FNZAS Facebook page, being a public page and all.

There is a difference between you using my personal details on a public forum without my permission, and me willingly stating who I am on the FNZAS Facebook page.

This isn't an argument I want to continue. It is not worth my time and energy.

eheim pickup 2012 is what i use in my tanks, i have 3, all great filters internal means no tiny fingers can fiddle, depending on what you use inside such as the sponge that comes with or filter wool they are easy to maintain and easy to clean. i like caryl, clean it when i see it needs it eg the flow is reduced etc. that is all.

reading this i have to laugh, this topic went from a simple question of what filter to use in a kids bedroom to a all out spit the dummy, im right your wrong, im old your young, i have bigger b$lls than you. hahahaha.

pathetic if you want my opinion.

All opinions welcome here, it is a public forum after all :wink:

When my kids were small they had tanks in their rooms and most of the filters were under gravels. Not so they couldn't fiddle with them (as my kids were taught what not to touch at a very early age) but because they were the cheapest option.

When my kids were small they had tanks in their rooms and most of the filters were under gravels. Not so they couldn't fiddle with them (as my kids were taught what not to touch at a very early age) but because they were the cheapest option.

Air driven? If so, wouldn't that have been noisy or is there some way to dim that down?

Personally, I'd stay with an internal one (ie the pick up), I've found they have the most resistance to abuse whereas the air filter I had running previously was knocked about by the cat and little brother sometimes, causing more noise when it was running up against things or was knocked out of place, you may possibly find similar things with a four year old, if you decide to go that route.

Personally it depends on the setup of the tank.

If there's a cabinet which a canister filter can be placed in and unreachable from the children, go for that.

If not, and the tank is backed to a wall with room for a HoB (Aqua Clear filter).

Otherwise an Eheim pickup.

Most of the specifics have been said, so it's really up to you and how your setup has been rigged. :)

My major problem with a canister filter in this case is if a kid gets at them they are unbelievable destructive I am sure they could pull the pipes off, kink the pipes turn the taps etc, if it is in front of them then they just have to play with it lol

I think your kids and mine should get together ryanjury, sounds like they would get on well :lol: As I said, I am pretty sure my 4yr old fiddled with the tap on the bottom of the my eheim canister so it was vy loose... I think little fingers can be a lot stronger and more determined than you think (its the 4yo that is really the issue, he often sneaks in and plays in her room - the 7yo loves her fish enough to know not to mess with anything). I definitely don't want to deal with canister filter leakage ...ever :o I love my eheim canister but just not game to do it in a kids room ATM. There is scope to put one in later tho, the cabinet is there for it.

I will stick with the internal then, and trial a new maintenance schedule of less work :lol: ...

I am growned up enough to try out others advice while reserving my own judgement quietly ;) Thankyou for all the opinions, all sides of the argument represented - loving the passion on here :lol:

The only noise I've had from air pumps is from the pump vibrating on the table/desk/wall/whatever.

If you put it on a cloth its usually very quite.

Slightly off the topic ..... I find the rubber backed mouse pads (older style) very effective in dampening down noise from airpump (also good way to recycle the old mouse pads).

To answer the OP's question; if you're worried about the kid fiddling with the a HOB-type filter then there could be other problems like him/her getting into (or putting things into) the tank. IMO the best way to avoid the fiddling issue would be to put the tank higher up where it is out of reach of someone too young to be taught not to fiddle.

And as for the debate about when to clean them out, both Caryl and Rabbit are right, to a point. It is true that with certain types of filter you can wait until they are so clogged up that the flow is reduced until cleaning them out with no ill effects, Caryls many years of experience are proof of this. However, what Rabbit said is also correct, imagine what would happen with a canister filter full of 6 months worth of crap in a long power outage if it turned back on before you had a chance to clean it out?! I know [also from years of experience] that the water turns real nasty really fast. I'm pretty slack at cleaning my canisters (mainly because they are only supplementary to sumps on my tanks) and when I have forgot to turn them on after a water change it only takes a matter of hours before the water is so toxic that it could easily kill off sensitive fish in a smaller tank.

And as mentioned if you are relying a small quantity of quality porous media for your biological filtration you will lose much of the efficiency and surface area if you allow it to be clogged up with particulate waste. You may not notice if your tank is well filtered and your maintenance schedule regular, but you almost certainly have wasted your money buying expensive media.

I'm amazed at how quick certain people were to jump on someone who was offering some pretty basic facts that happened to go against what someone else had said, when in fact the two opinions were not necessarily mutually exclusive. No wonder people don't want to contribute if that's the kind of treatment they get when offering up something that challenges popular opinion. Perhaps we need a few more real moderators to keep the back-seat mods in check...