Leeches

antwan

I cleaned out a tank of mine recently, and when the water was out I saw something weird on the heater, I thought they were snail eggs. Pulled them off and had a closer look:

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

So, the lovely Robyn here put it on her hand to see what would happen, they certainly do like to cling on!

IMG_1168.jpg

Mouthparts

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

She had it on her hand for probably an hour all up and said she felt a little bit of tingling every now and then, but no visible wound afterward.

We also gave it a squeeze and saw tonnes of little babies coming out of its sides/back. Pretty gross really.

Does anybody know anything about these? I have never seen anything like them in a tank before.

From one of my lecturers:

"It is probably a leech – it looks like one in the pictures. If it has segmentation (like a worm) and two suckers, one anterior and one posterior then it’s a leech. We do have leeches in lentic systems in NZ, but not the bloody-sucking kind."

I didn't know they had 2 suckers, that's why it appeared to be walking backwards! So it was sucking to my hand with its rear sucker.

Yeah, I showed the pics to my freshwater ecology lecturer. He didn't know much about them but said that native ones are mostly non-blood-sucking, except for some random one on an island in Fiordland that seems to suck seabirds :o I think he was saying that they are not entirely quite what it is doing there.

And yeah, apparently two mouthparts, and he thinks it is the mouth-end holding on to her hand, but unlikely to be sucking.

Fun :)