Has anyone succesfully rid their tank of Ramshorn snails?

hovmoller

Ok so I have decided I want mine gone...

I know getting rid of snails is close to mission impossible but it would be interresting to know at what size they start reproducing.

Then I can concentrate on removing all snails above that size ie. no one to produce eggs..

Otherwise any other suggestions on how to remove them completely without harming fish?

Thanks!

I manage to control mine by using a piece of cucumber every night for a month. At each morning remove the piece of cucumber and along with those snails.. they tend to accumulate by eating the cucumber.. Removing it everyday and the population will come down.. At the moment my tank is under control.

The other option is dump in puffer fish, as what my friends do. This little bugger suck them like juice! :hail: and in short time no more snail! only shell!

What size tank are they in and what fish?

I don't have any experience in loaches but I have heard that they mow down snails shells and all. If you got some young clowns for clean up there are a few people around that are collecting schools of them so im sure it wouldnt be hard to rehome them once your tank was cleared.

Just an idea..

What size tank are they in and what fish?

I don't have any experience in loaches but I have heard that they mow down snails shells and all. If you got some young clowns for clean up there are a few people around that are collecting schools of them so im sure it wouldnt be hard to rehome them once your tank was cleared.

Just an idea..

That's not a bad idea..

It's a 300L planted tank with Discus, cardinals, Corys and more..

I cleared my tank of snails. I sold everything and got a new tank. On a more serious note, I tried a range of things - harvesting with/without traps of various kinds and veges in the tank but if your water is too soft to add snail rid then I think you can kiss goodbye to any chemical fix-alls.

If you don't want to buy new fish to eat the snails and you have a spare tank you could move all your fish into it, snail rid the tank to all hell and back, change the water 8 billion times and then move them back in.... that would work but it's a lot of effort and probably easier to move the fish into the new tank and then clean out the snail tank. :P

In my new tank I snail ridded almost all the plants that moved in, washed others by hand under the tap and so far I've only ever found and caught 2 ramshorns. Have had the filter out frequently and never find any eggs, which was Snail HQ in previous tank. I think and hope I am currently snail free. (touch wood & fingers crossed)

I spent the morning removing all large snails I could see with a large tweezer.. as you can see from below pic there are MANY hiding places for small snails so I'm sure there are still a gazillion little ones..

Also I don't want to rebuild this tank since it has taken quite a while to get to this stage.. also plant substrate under gravel.

And the poisoning the snails with copper but not enough to kill fish sounds too extreme for me..

If I were to introduce some clown loaches eg... a few Q's: (don't know that much about clown loaches)

Will small clowns they sell in the shop eat snails at that size?

Any problems between clowns and my current fish?

How many clowns would you recommend? (stocking already high but have two large canister filters on this one so enough filtration)

Thanks

This is the tank in question:

Discus, Corys, Cardinals, SAE's and a little L270

IMG_2470.jpg

The dwarf puffers I had annihilated my snail population overnight. Wouldn't put them with any other fish though. I've heard stories of them nipping and killing fish much much bigger than them :o . But if you had a spare tank to put your other fish while you borrow some puffers or snail eating loaches I think it would work. Otherwise I think it's pretty hard to completely clear them.

I spent the morning removing all large snails I could see with a large tweezer.. as you can see from below pic there are MANY hiding places for small snails so I'm sure there are still a gazillion little ones..

Also I don't want to rebuild this tank since it has taken quite a while to get to this stage.. also plant substrate under gravel.

And the poisoning the snails with copper but not enough to kill fish sounds too extreme for me..

If I were to introduce some clown loaches eg... a few Q's: (don't know that much about clown loaches)

Will small clowns they sell in the shop eat snails at that size?

Any problems between clowns and my current fish?

How many clowns would you recommend? (stocking already high but have two large canister filters on this one so enough filtration)

Thanks

This is the tank in question:

Discus, Corys, Cardinals, SAE's and a little L270

IMG_2470.jpg

If you wanted to go for a smaller loach Zebra or Yoyo loaches will also eat snails, but not get as large as clown loaches. Had a big infestation of snails years ago, bought two Zebra loaches and they cleaned the lot up within a couple of weeks.

Hi, just new to the site and sorry if I'm a little late on this one but if clown loaches get too big for you, I've found Angelicus loaches to be excellent for getting rid of snails, and at least keeping the ramshorn snail population down quite low on my old tank. Even had them bore a hole in the mystery snail shell and rip it out. Took them a few days to figure out hoe but they did. Quite a large one too at that point. Otherwise, if you feel risky, a few skunk loaches may do the trick, just they can be extremely nippy and may not work with things like discus. Just my two cents worth. Isaac

Thanks Isaac.. Yes the Angelicus are nice... but a few days ago I got 3 striata (Zebra Loach) and have already seen them much some little snails.. They only get to max 10cm I think and they are not very shy like clowns can be..

So between me picking off the bigger ones and the loaches eating the small ones I am hoping this will put an end to my snail population.