October 23, 201015 yr comment_400856 http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showt ... hp?t=28937 Found that awhile ago. Thats more for power growing then keeping discus right? What would be the recommended size tank for 4-6 discus? Dimensions is the biggie. I have a 200L tank that would be ok for a few discus but Its only 40cm high 40cm wide and I've been told thats not enough Thanks Report
October 23, 201015 yr comment_400869 your 200 litre tank could take 4 adult discus but they do prefer deep tanks. Report
October 23, 201015 yr Author comment_400873 a good way of growing out discus Thats what I thought your 200 litre tank could take 4 adult discus but they do prefer deep tanks. Really? I could quite possibly afford 4 small discus which I would love to grow up but I don't want to have to suddenly get a taller tank :oops: Report
October 23, 201015 yr comment_400897 Its recommended that each discus have about 50 litres of water. The only thing about buying them small is that they are labour intensive as in require daily water changes and optimum conditions to keep them healthy and encourage growth. I'm lazy in that I buy mine larger so that I can just display them. I don't know how fast they grow but I think it should be 1cm per month at the start i.e. 2 months 2cm, 3 months 3cm. The recommended price used to be $10 per cm but I don't know if that still applies either. Report
October 23, 201015 yr Author comment_400898 I'm quite alright with doing daily water changes. Will over filter the tank also. I've met a guy who was keeping about 10 in a 200L with fast growth rates and two 50% water changes a week. Only was ran with an internal and two sponge filters Will think about getting discus once the fish room is built Report
October 23, 201015 yr comment_400910 Lots of variables here,if you plan on going bare bottom then 400 high should be fine,I prefer mine 450 You can have even lower for growing out discus but for a large adult discus in a bare bottom tank 450 is a nice height Best to get 6 discus to grow out in that tank,5 is ok but larger groups do far better Daily water changes are recommended for optimum growth You might get 1-2 cracking fish out of that 6 and the rest will be so so's Report
October 23, 201015 yr comment_400958 are you looking for some discus , and if you come round ill tell you all the little trick and techniques to greowing and breeding Report
October 23, 201015 yr Author comment_400989 I've told myself I cant get discus untill the fish room is made. They'll be too stressed during its construction. I was hoping to put some in my 120-40-40cm tank but I can be patient and wait for a bigger one Report
October 23, 201015 yr comment_401002 i have a tank 120 by 45 by 45 and i have 7 large discus in it so they should be fine if you do reagular water changes Report
October 23, 201015 yr Author comment_401006 Cant make any decisions till I get this fish room operational though Report
October 24, 201015 yr comment_401008 You might get 1-2 cracking fish out of that 6 and the rest will be so so's What do you mean by "cracking" and "so so"? and why only 1-2 out of 6? thanks Report
October 24, 201015 yr comment_401009 The 2 most dominant ones are most likely to have the best shape. The other discus are more likely to be stunted by the hormones the discus release to stunt the competing discus. That's why we do lots of WCs for young fish, and have large grow out tanks in an attempt to dilute the concentration of those hormones. Not so much of an issue in larger discus as the shape is more or less determined by that time. Report
October 24, 201015 yr comment_401010 The 2 most dominant ones are most likely to have the best shape. The other discus are more likely to be stunted by the hormones the discus release to stunt the competing discus. That's why we do lots of WCs for young fish, and have large grow out tanks in an attempt to dilute the concentration of those hormones. Not so much of an issue in larger discus as the shape is more or less determined by that time. Hahaha.. this makes so much sense!.. Couldn't figure out why I have 1 discus in turbo growth mode and 4 on "standby mode" even though they all eat heaps. More WC's it is then... thanks! (walks away to do a water change) Report
October 25, 201015 yr comment_401280 What do you mean by "cracking" and "so so"? and why only 1-2 out of 6? thanks What generally happens is 1 or 2 fish tend to grow a bit faster and bigger and leave the rest behind.These fish may go onto a good adult size where as the rest may only attain an average adult size with one usually being smaller. Best way to combat this is to have bigger groups 10+ and you will get better results Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.