What to feed lemon cichlids and shell dwellers?

fish_tank0311

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why don't you just return the lelupis? and get shellies off HFF?

Seems to be the right thing to do if they sold you the fish and have offered a return.

Yup phoenix thats what im doing. Obviously i would rather keep the lelupis because they so colourful etc but they are the trouble makers so ill take them back. I read julidochromis can go with ocellatus. Do hollywood have julidochromis and what do you guys think of them?

I have a 250L tank and kept my jullies with my shellies when they jullies reached 3-4cm long they started beating up the shellies so much so that within a day the shellies went from being happy and colourful to cowering in the top corners of the tank so I had to remove the jullies.

Phoenix44 is is no difference to HFF if he returns the lelus and gets the same value of shellies or swapped them with me they would get no extra money through the till, doesn't bother me I was planning on buying leleuli from there anyway just thought I could help.

Brichardi are Neolamprologus-same genus and general beahaviour as leleupi.

Again- i am perplexed by your need to make what is in all essence a ' single species nano' tank into a community tank, and your view that a species only tank with such lovely and timid fish would be 'Boring' with tankmates that would be appropriate and suit the set up.

with all the riches the internet supplies our hobby I would strongly suggest Wikipedia is not one of them.

I have a 3ft, 200+ litre tank with 10 shellies in it. They look lovely in the tank as a single species but watching them squabble and argue over their own territory i.e. shells and coral, there is no way I would add other types of fish to it.

Single species tanks can look spectacular as you can see if you look through some of the posts.

As its been said before - these fish are best on their own.

Again- i am perplexed by your need to make what is in all essence a ' single species nano' tank into a community tank, and your view that a species only tank with such lovely and timid fish would be 'Boring' with tankmates that would be appropriate and suit the set up.

Can I just say referring to a 60cm X 60cm, 90L tank as a nano is a little rude, and not particularly supportive to beginners?

Nano-, by definition, is 1 billionth.... so unless someone has a tank that is one billion times bigger than his then they probably don't have any right to call a 2ft by 2ft tank a "nano".

I say this because having the time and space and commitment to have 6-8ft tanks in their living room is probably not the norm for this hobby, and the majority of entry level fishkeepers would start with a 50-90L tank. I think it is fairly off-putting to beginners and makes this site seem unwelcoming when people judge you for the size of your tank and deem anything under 100L a nano...

OK rant over

I take your point Sunbird.

My comment was to make a point. If I offended then I apologise.

I am aware of the definition of nano as I was merely using it as a descriptive term in relation to this scenario

But i would say there have been nothing but informative and supportive posts in this thread.

As for tank sizes. I have tanks ranging from 20ltr to over 600ltr.

The key is that each of these is suitable for certain uses and if not then experience

has taught me problems WILL occur.

We can only make suggestions, but as I wrote in earlier post it is fish_tank0311's prerogative at end of day.

Can I just say referring to a 60cm X 60cm, 90L tank as a nano is a little rude, and not particularly supportive to beginners?

Nano-, by definition, is 1 billionth.... so unless someone has a tank that is one billion times bigger than his then they probably don't have any right to call a 2ft by 2ft tank a "nano".

I say this because having the time and space and commitment to have 6-8ft tanks in their living room is probably not the norm for this hobby, and the majority of entry level fishkeepers would start with a 50-90L tank. I think it is fairly off-putting to beginners and makes this site seem unwelcoming when people judge you for the size of your tank and deem anything under 100L a nano...

OK rant over

lol thanks.

firenzenz i want a community tank because shellies are not going to use all the rockwork i made. i spent 80 bux on that and being 13 and not getting pocket money, its pretty hard to come by 80 bux for a bunch of rocks. I do understand that a bunch of shellies are cool, it was awesome watching them in the shop, but a community tank is taking it another step, and if i were to stock 6-8 of them or whatever is very very expensive...If i were to take all 3 fish back. what do i do with the tank having spent all this money on rock and gravel???

You could probably do some yellows in there with the shellies they might use the rocks... Eventually they would outgrow the tank but a 90L with that sort of footprint would be ok for them for a while.

This is why we usually do lots of research before buying fish, if you had a bigger tank then you would be able to do the jullies/shellies.

But a 2x1x1 is a nano tank, most tanks under 100L are nanos, that's the whole point of them.

he has a 2X2X1 (actually not sure how tall it is)

And my point is that "nano" is in the eye of the beholder. A nano should be something teeny teeny tiny. A 90L tank I guess should just be called petite :lol: .

I do get what you are saying P44 - but compared to kelly tarltons all our tanks are nano's ;)

I know it is not intentially being elitist, but it comes across that way when an average sized tank (for an average hobbyist) is called a "nano".

I feel a particular empathy here knowing that fish_tank0311 has likely saved very carefully and bought the largest tank he can afford or is allowed the space for.

he has a 2X2X1 (actually not sure how tall it is)

And my point is that "nano" is in the eye of the beholder.

I know it is not intentially being elitist, but it comes across that way when an average sized tank (for an average hobbyist) is called a "nano".

Isn't it about context.

In my 'eyes' ( the beholder) the tank is "teeny weeny" for the use we were

discussing.

I think that my control on the way my comments may be construed is only manageble to a

point surely :wink:

Thanks for all the help guys. i went to hollywood and swapped the lelupis and got another shelly and some shells and we are all happy, and the difference in the money was refunded. Once again i asked hollywood about tankmates and they said brichardi..... a bit of opinion IMO as you guys are morbidly against brichardi and shellies mixing in a tank my size.

its funny reading this thread everyone is squabbling and stuff any tank can be classed as a nano becouse the fishes natural enviroment is bigger that 100l or 300l its like being back at school

The poor kid just wanted to know what to feed his fish thats all now hes swapping and thinkig that one of the best fish shops in nz is giving him ill advice

The poor kid just wanted to know what to feed his fish thats all now hes swapping and thinkig that one of the best fish shops in nz is giving him ill advice

so they shouldn't have given him advice & let him learn the hard way by losing fish as they are a bad mix?

its funny reading this thread everyone is squabbling and stuff any tank can be classed as a nano becouse the fishes natural enviroment is bigger that 100l or 300l its like being back at school

Well, they did make a mistake. I hear your side on the nano, but they DID say that those fish would happily live together, but if you go back through the thread people saying that is suicide.

Again research is your friend..

When adding new cichlids to a tank the existing fish will be aggressive towards them because you are introducing new fish into something they had claimed as their own.. Always best to completely rearrange the tank and/or remove the existing fish and add them together so that they are on a level playing field. It is also recommended to add them in groups so that there are multiple targets for the new fish when you add them..

And even though this thread was for advice on food I believed from the research I had done that it was a bad mix and had to tell him, I figure that it is better that way than having him loose fish without knowing. It is hard for a shop to pass on 100% correct information all the time and this is a difficult one that I only know because I own the fish in question, the nano tank thing is all relative and doesn't really matter at all :)