What to feed lemon cichlids and shell dwellers?

fish_tank0311

Honestly has anyone on here tried to keep Ocellatus with leleupi and had problems?

Or are you just relying on the "species profiles" you've read on the web.

The reason I ask is after I did a bit of reading of first hand accounts on different forums I deceied to keep my leleupi and Ocellatus together. Currently have one spawning pair of Leleupi with two generations of Juvie Leleupi so theres lots of protective behaviour, in with a colony of Ocellatus and have not suffered any casualty's I have not even seen much aggressive behaviour from the leleupi towards the shellies.

Mmmm, you have a point. P44 im not expecting them to be all knowing Jesus with fish, but i do expect them to know a little bit about the products they are selling. At least the tank size lelupis require (ie. even more than electric yellows which i was advised against)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly has anyone on here tried to keep Ocellatus with leleupi and had problems?

Or are you just relying on the "species profiles" you've read on the web.

The reason I ask is after I did a bit of reading of first hand accounts on different forums I deceied to keep my leleupi and Ocellatus together. Currently have one spawning pair of Leleupi with two generations of Juvie Leleupi so theres lots of protective behaviour, in with a colony of Ocellatus and have not suffered any casualty's I have not even seen much aggressive behaviour from the leleupi towards the shellies.

But the point is whether a 2 ft cube will allow the shellies to avoid the behaviour of the leleupi.

I can see that both could coexist in a tank big enough wheret their territories can remain seperate.

Neos like to make a home and defend it- they aren't marauders in my experience so it does come down to space which is lacking in this situation.

I think too we need to differentiate between what is adequate, good and ideal. It is a sliding scale - as fish mature, and can be the difference between a long happy existence Vs survival

It does come down to what you are prepared to risk.. If it is a 2ft cube tank then there is some floor space but I think you are running a risk. Sethg from what I have read on other forums you are either very lucky or waiting for things to go wrong, as with everything in fish people can sometimes get away with it, but from what I have read and experienced cichlid-forum articles are usually spot on it can just take sometime before things snap and go wrong.

I will be living in Auckland soon and I am breeding shellies (have a whole heap of babies of various sizes up there atm), if you would like to do some more of them I would happily work something out for your leleupi if you did decide you wanted to move them on.

A risk maybe but I can only go of my experience, the leleupi will need there own territory usually around a shell or cave especially as they pair up. Obliviously I don't drop shells right in front of said territory and try to encourage the shellies to invade the leleupi's space.

The leleupi seem to be way more agressive towards each other and towards Julidochromis than the shellies which really don't seem to bother them, staying by there shells and doing there own thing.

I would expect the leleupi to prey on the shellie fry which is why I remove shells that have fry in them and have heaps of shellies of various ages and sizes :wink:.

A risk maybe but I can only go of my experience, the leleupi will need there own territory usually around a shell or cave especially as they pair up. Obliviously I don't drop shells right in front of said territory and try to encourage the shellies to invade the leleupi's space.

The leleupi seem to be way more agressive towards each other and towards Julidochromis than the shellies which really don't seem to bother them, staying by there shells and doing there own thing

That is exactly how i see my tank currently. Do you guys know where i can get some good shells for my shellies? Here is a video of my tank. Can a mod maybe change the title please to something like my tank journal, or something more apropriate to the discussions happening, that would be great. Anyway heres the video,

Hopefully the song works im not sure if it does but anyway you can play your own song and watch a cool video.

*Video quality is processing. Give it some time and it will be awesome*

Again- I presume all this is not happening in a 2ft cube SethG.

I don't think he intends on taking any advice firenz, he might be one of those ones that has to learn from his own experiences/mistakes. I think he is making a big one here especially in a tank this small but only time will tell that. The problem is that they will get more aggressive as they grow the tank is not big enough for them to have their own little turf around a pile of rocks and not go on a mission looking for food and potentially suck a shellie out of its shell and kill it.

Does that leleupi usually spend his time cowering in the top corner of the tank like that?

I don't think he intends on taking any advice firenz, he might be one of those ones that has to learn from his own experiences/mistakes.

You talking about me or seth? If your talking about me your very wrong, i completely changed my idea of electric yellows because of the advice given to me by others, i didnt find out myself, and there are several things i change and dont do because of the advice i get from these forums.

Another update, one lelupi is still up in the corner on top of the filter which is next to the heater. It doesnt look any where near as colourful as the other one, and it has some brownish blotches of colour too, where the other one is a pure strong yellow. After 10 minutes of watching they arent really paying attention to one another, so it doesnt look like its being bullied. Same goes with the ocellatus so far, the good looking lelupi and the ocellatus look like good buds they hanging out the front together, but for how long :-?

You can get the shells from Nosh - 48 shells for $25 or alternatively you can come around to me and I'll onsell you some of my surplus shells. It works out at just over 50c per shell.

Sometimes you just have to face the facts that certain fish need to be in species only tanks.

You should also read up on the fish you are about to purchase.

Damn i was at nosh like a month ago and we dont head that way often. Yes i do read up on the species i really do but i planned on getting e yellows and was advized that only getting 2 would be fine, but the guy there said not to do it, i didnt know who to believe so i just didnt do it, and then this guy recommended these fish for me which i wasnt prepared for but he told me that they would be fine.

Damn i was at nosh like a month ago and we dont head that way often. Yes i do read up on the species i really do but i planned on getting e yellows and was advized that only getting 2 would be fine, but the guy there said not to do it, i didnt know who to believe so i just didnt do it, and then this guy recommended these fish for me which i wasnt prepared for but he told me that they would be fine.

Well they have offered to do something about it which is really pretty good :D . My advice to you is not to leave it much longer before you decide if you are going to return the fish or not. :D

TBH yellows are more likely to work in this setup than what you have. If the leleupi is cowering or hanging out up the back top of the tank it is probably because he has been bullied, these guys are actually quite agro and it does get worse in small numbers (no I am not suggesting adding more there at all either).

I know you got advice from the shop, most shops do give terrible advice though alot based entirely on making sales and not the welfare of the fish.. HFF is one of the better ones but it always pays to do your own research on things before buying anything, you may have got a new staff member or someone who doesn't know alot about africans you can't really expect people to know everything about every fish when they keep so many in a shop and rely entirely on their advice. Generally it is good advice to stick with tangs in the same tank but in this case leleupi are known to kill the shellies so it is hard to know end of the day it is your choice and your money so do what you wish. I breed and sell alot of these types of fish and have been told by plenty of people what will or wont work and they have stocked their tanks against my advice, they continue to come out and get fish off me they continue to brag about how it is still working, 9 times out of 10 a year or so down the track they come back and sure enough as the fish have grown overnight something has snapped and all hell has broken loose. It is all case by case though and some things do work long term depending on temperaments of individual fish involved.

Google will help you with advice if you need it from other people and their experiences..

http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=h ... 02fb102c48

Ok, Thanks. I will talk to my dad and see if he can take me some time soon, but i guess i should email hollywood fish farm first and see if they will take the fish back. Are there ANY friendly-ish fish that will go with ocellatus successfully. ANY, i want a community tank so......... Yeah any you know of thanks.

If you want a peaceful community tank then you should take the shellie back as well and all the coral and stuff then stock up with guppies and stuff, other shellies are probably the best thing to keep with shellies, the offer is still there if you wanted to move the leleupi to swap them for some shellies off me if you wanted to do that..

I have also kept long finned rosy barbs and tropheus with my shellies in the past also Columbian tetras, I wouldn't recommend tropheus for your tank it is too small they are pretty expensive and you really need to get 10-12 to make them work, but would recommend finding a big hardy robust schooling fish and adding a school of them if you wanted to have more than the one species of fish in the same tank.

I will be living in Auckland soon and I am breeding shellies (have a whole heap of babies of various sizes up there atm), if you would like to do some more of them I would happily work something out for your leleupi if you did decide you wanted to move them on.

I hate quoting myself but I am moving to Auckland next week all my fish are currently living up there, at this stage 'Lamprologus' ocellatus (Gold) are the only shellies available in NZ that is what I am breeding/keeping.

. After 10 minutes of watching they arent really paying attention to one another, so it doesnt look like its being bullied. Same goes with the ocellatus so far, the good looking lelupi and the ocellatus look like good buds they hanging out the front together, but for how long :-?

A subdominant fish knows what it is, and will behave accordingly.

A leleupi with faded colour hovering up in a corner is not good when its natural behavoiur would be to be on the bottom amongst rocks. I would suggest it knows the score if it ventures south.

This already- and we aren't even talking breeding behaviour yet.

I bet when you know you are being watched for 10mins or so fish_tank0311 you are on best behavoiur.

Then the car pulls out of garage and 'it all on" :wink:

try setting video on remate timer and see what they do when your'e not there.

HFF have said they'd take them back but if one is relly banged up they might baulk.

And sorry mate- but simple truth is- if you want a community set up you need to think more about the very first criteria to make that happen-ie: a tank suitable for that setup.

I hope it works out and you get it sorted before the 'almost guaranteed losses' occcur.

PS: I think Ryan is offering you a couple of resolutions and endeavouring to solve problems before they occur.

I hope the somewhat obtuse tone to your reply is a misread on my part.

Hi fish_tank0311 if for decide to bring back your purchase we will swap/credit/refund any of it.

Sorry for any confusion/inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

Just thought I would post this for you again, cos it looks like you might have missed reading it.

But you have had a good offer from ryanjury as well ;)