What to feed lemon cichlids and shell dwellers?

fish_tank0311

What to feed lemon cichlids and shell dwellers?

I bought 2 lemon cichlids and a little shell dweller not sure what it was called it had a really weird and long name, and dumbly enough forgot to ask about food. Do they eat normal flakes? I know they eat lotsa veggies etc so ill give em lettuce and cucumber and things, but do they take normal flakes? What about frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp/blood worms. Any frozen? All frozen? What do they eat? Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah google is your friend.. But I have fed my shellies on a mainly vege based diet because they live with tropheus but think they are naturally a predator so you could stick some different foods in there, I would probably use NLS cichlid or grow on them.

Also have you done any research on their compatibility? It is usually recommended not to keep leleupi and shellies together because the leleupi are known for ripping the shellies out of their shells and killing them so you might need another tank.. You probably should have been told about this when you brought the fish..

I will help you out with a few links..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1671

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/n_leleupi.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1753

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_ocellatus.php

Do you mean Neolamprologus leleupi and Lamprologus ocellatus?

If those are the fish, then put those names into google and you will see there is heaps of info about them

Yup thats them. Ok thanks. They look real cute!!! I got a free shell from the shop as i was planning on buying electric yellows and the guy swayed me as my tank was too small so i got shellies, and i didnt have shells for them but i got 1 little ocellatus and hes sooo CUTE!!! And he hides in the shell i got for free!! :lol:

Yeah google is your friend.. But I have fed my shellies on a mainly vege based diet because they live with tropheus but think they are naturally a predator so you could stick some different foods in there, I would probably use NLS cichlid or grow on them.

Also have you done any research on their compatibility? It is usually recommended not to keep leleupi and shellies together because the leleupi are known for ripping the shellies out of their shells and killing them so you might need another tank.. You probably should have been told about this when you brought the fish..

I will help you out with a few links..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1671

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/n_leleupi.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1753

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_ocellatus.php

OOh that sounds bad. They were in a tank together at the time, and the guy said NOOOOOTHIIIING about any of that, he said they will live happily in a tank of my size for ever, and this guy seems like he knows what hes talking about. Anyway they been fine together so far. I will keep you guys updated on this thread of my tank, so subscribe or whatever if you can do that, and yeah ill keep you guys posted.

Im starting to feel like a idiot and i just impulse bought these fish without knowing anything about them. I was planning on e yellows but the tank too small so the guy said to buy these, so i bought them and didnt do any research on shell dwellers or anything. :evil:

How big is your tank? Leleupi are known for being particularly nasty when they grow up if anything I would recommend a bigger than for them than yellows, especially if you have 2 of them and they aren't a pair or compatible they can be quite agro.

IMO just waiting to see if your shellie gets mauled by one is probably not a good idea especially when it is known to be an issue, but each to their own I guess.

i hope nothing happens... Just been in to watch them and one of the lemons came out to the shellie and had a look, and the wee little thing went up to the big one reeeeeaaaall close and had a real good look at em hehehe and they looked fine, no aggression of any sort. The 2 lemons/lelupi or whatever have slightly different colouration, ones a bright yellow the other one i believe has a slight orange tint rather than pure yellow, maybe different sex? Dont know if that means anything but so far they are happy together which im bloody thankfull for from what i hear from you.

- Tanks 90 litre.

I used a old purple light last night and dimmed out out with several layers of towels so it wasnt too bright, but enough to see what the night life was like in the tank, and all looked well, first sign of aggression, 1 lemon chased the other 1 but only lasted a few seconds and since then they been together fine. Same thing happened again with the lemon coming out the front to say hello to the little ocellatus and the ocellatus just swam up to him and had what looked like a little kiss on him, but got no response from the lemon so they are fine so far. Hopefully this behaviour continues.

most juvie fish co-exist Ok with any number of different species when young.

Most fish are young in fish shops and are often in tanks getting on fine with other young fish, that they wouldn't when older and their specific behaviours kick in

As Ryan has said issues will be as they grow up. The leleupi are a cm or so away from breeding age and depending on their sexes their interaction could be anything from one trying to kill other to them pairing up and looking to breed then trying to dominate and defend their territory. 'Neos" are great parent and I've seen plenty of times them taking on much larger fish to defend 'their patch' and young.

The ocellatus will be under threat I would say- either been continually chased or a straight out target.

I'd be looking to arrange tank with two seperate piles of hidey holes either , see where the leleupi choose and pop the ocellatus's shell either end. That though I think is only going to limit potential aggression not stop it.

Is tank 3ft or 2ft as I'd say leleupi pair would want 2ft to themselves.

I'd be tempted to return one of the species to HFF and look for swap.

get more of what ever you choose to keep.

Their policy may not be to take returns but they do have some responsibility under the law to give you correct info, especially if you gave them all the relevant info about the tank they were going too, which sounds like you did if they advised against E yellows.

TBH- I think that tank would be best as a single species tank.

Get more ocellatus and enjoy their cool behaviour without any interruptions.

A 2ft cube with them playing on bottom a®ound shells would be great setup

Or chuck 6 small tetras/rasboras or even pair of fighter on top if you want a bit more action in tank

2ft of tank bottom is good for one pair/species of dwarves

End of the day it's gonna be your call.

I do think you need to take your tank size into consideration with any choices and the success of the mix as fish get older.

You are looking at nice fish which aren't cheap. A few losses could end up costing more than a upgrade of tank :-?

Not really many other option in Shellies dept

Yea fire i do agree and im feeling quite disappointed with the fish shop now, not correctly informing me, especially me being 13 i think they took advantage of the money in my hand and not telling me what im getting myself into. Are there any fish that can possibly make tankmates with the ocellatus if i were to get rid of the lemon yellows? And what if i were to upgrade the tank slightly, say 3 foot or something. What are my options then?

What??????????????????????????????

Well, you have selected a species of fish that is renowned to be sensitive to water quality and conditions; and need soft acidic water, and will never be fine in hard water.

Conversely your shell dweller needs harder alkaline water, and would not be thrilled in soft acidic water.

You need to go back to HFF, select a fish that you like, and then stick with it. Shellies are really realyl cool, so if you got more of them and removed the neo*, that would solve one potential issue.

Also, if your tank isn't big enough for e. yellows, shellies are just about the only small african I can think of that would be fine in there. maybe pair of julis or something, but then again territorial issues would be your biggest problem.

If you had a larger tank you could have experimented a bit more, but given the space confines you don't have much of a choice really, and if you do add a whole load of different species in the same tank - which is fine, you need to make sure they will be compatible for temperament and water conditions.

Yea fire i do agree and im feeling quite disappointed with the fish shop now, not correctly informing me, especially me being 13 i think they took advantage of the money in my hand and not telling me what im getting myself into.

sorry, but it doesn't sound like their fault TBH. If you, as you have indicated above like having many species in one tank, the sales person has merely done what he needed to, to make you as happy as possible. That involved selecting 2 fish that he simply may not have forseen any problems with. I don't think the leleupi - shellie agression is all that well known about, especially given that the shellies are new to the hobby here. Given light of the new information, you just might find that the shop is happy to undo any mistakes.

This is why it pays to research things for your self before going out and buying stuff. I think it's unfair to expect everyone to know absolutely everything about a million different species of fish; life is a learning curve after all.

Honestly has anyone on here tried to keep Ocellatus with leleupi and had problems?

Or are you just relying on the "species profiles" you've read on the web.

The reason I ask is after I did a bit of reading of first hand accounts on different forums I deceied to keep my leleupi and Ocellatus together. Currently have one spawning pair of Leleupi with two generations of Juvie Leleupi so theres lots of protective behaviour, in with a colony of Ocellatus and have not suffered any casualty's I have not even seen much aggressive behaviour from the leleupi towards the shellies.