Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mosquito Larvae 2010

Featured Replies

Summer's almost here, that means mozzies will be laying soon. Already got my bucket out with some driftwood and algae covered plants in it.

Keen to hear how everyone else will be collecting larvae or any other live food for their fish over summer.

  • Replies 107
  • Views 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I have never ever thought of this before! :lol:

We have a disgusting old... square concrete tank sorta thing outside with filthy water thats never been cleaned. Would most likely have mossy larvae in there... Would that be okay? Or should I atleast change the water? What should I look out for etc etc?

  • Author

I wasn't aware of it either until near the end of last Summer, when they'd almost all gone. Being a fish keeper, I had various buckets and cups lying around outside that had filled with rain water. Someone (Nick maybe?) brought up the topic so I checked for mozzie larvae. They seemed to like the algae infested buckets the best and fighters go nuts over the larvae.

I have a 20 somthing litre paint pail in the garden that has Daphnia swimming around in it at the moment, it has ginger algae on the sides which they seem to graze.

I also have another container that has greenwater in it, but no bugs :(

mosquito lavae? I just get my fish net and quickly make a scoop into our pond. Comes out with 100's of wriggers every time, even most of the winter.

  • Author

Oh wow, even during Winter? I've had that bucket out for ages, nothing yet. I thought there'd only be larvae when there are mozzies.

My daphnia have been going strong in a bucket outside all winter too. I also get little things that look like baby brine shrimp, bloodworms and long black worms too. Yum yum for the fish.

I got one of those clam kiddies pool last summer for my dog and just left it over winter has lots of mosquito in there. The only downside is my dog still loves to play in it and go bobbing for leaves :-?

Oh wow, even during Winter? I've had that bucket out for ages, nothing yet. I thought there'd only be larvae when there are mozzies.

There are mozzies at our house!!

  • Author

There are mozzies at our house!!

I'll have to come for a visit then, pity I've got no room for more fighters though. All but one are bunking at Joshes.

  • Author
I've been gettin mozzie larvae all winter along with a few bloodworms.

I must be doing something wrong then :-?

  • Author
Probably your Mum killing them off when you are not looking!

She wouldn't dare touch my fish stuff, would she? :o

lol just remember how much your neighbours will like it if you start growing mossies to go and bite them :)

I try to harvest them before they morph :wink:

lol just remember how much your neighbours will like it if you start growing mossies to go and bite them :)

Lol yup, neighbours think I am souly responsible for the entire mozzy population in greeton. I dont get bitten though...

Oh wow, even during Winter? I've had that bucket out for ages, nothing yet. I thought there'd only be larvae when there are mozzies.

Mozzies make it through the winter in hibernation as larvae.. I used to have them in Denmark outside on my balcony and they would even survive being stuck in the top layer of ice in the bucket.

During summer if you want to prevent them from hatching into mosquitos then gather them while they are larvae and keep them in a jug in the fridge (For those who live with parents ask them first as they do not always like this! :D (personal experience)) It's important for them to have open surface area so they can still breathe at the surface.

Mozzies ,like all insects, are cold blooded and their metabolism will slow down to almost nothing and they will then keep in the fridge for a very long time.

Lol yup, neighbours think I am souly responsible for the entire mozzy population in greeton. I dont get bitten though...

Thats cause you are thier father 8)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.