Planted killie tank log with pics..... Take 3!

Sophia

Tank update - getting greener and greener

Short Killie action movie

th_123013.jpg

Front

full.jpg

Through left side

side.jpg

Left side crypt garden – slowly but surely they are getting more leaves!

left.jpg

Right side log with more crypts in front

right.jpg

Log, lotus and a shimmer of a fish

aveclepesce.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks P44 :happy2:

I can't move those rocks or I will upset the crypts and they are only just settled in. They look a little more in perspective and flatter in real life when you stand in front.

The things I am happiest about you can't really see - I have 2 narrow java plantlets from Jennifer that are stuck to the sticking up bit of log that are growing more leaves (and I believe the ones in my low-low tech tank are growing even faster) and the java ferns and windelov that I killed and saved the tiniest scraps of are all growing. One day I will pull back the moss curtain and ta-daaaa I will have a plant covered log 8)

I think I have the ferts just about right too - I added a dose of flourish excel about 3 weeks ago after starving them for a month and the wisps of brown algae on the moss disappeared. On Monday I noticed a few back again so gave another dose and it's gone again. I had also seen green spot on a new val leaf that I also haven't seen again. So that's 5-6 hours light, JBL balls and fortnightly dosing. And it's still the random 14000k tube that came with the light as well.

• 2 weeks later...

seems that 6 of the fish are males, 4 females. The rest too little to get tail colours just yet.

One fish jumped out at feeding time, took me longer than a few seconds to get him back in the tank but he recovered quickly enough. I wonder if it was the same fish that jumped out when in the bugs tank earlier. So yes, if you get killies and there are lots the same age, and feed them live food, be careful at feeding time, they are very excitable. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a few updated pictures - my fry are no longer fry! Except one. Runty remains a runt, doesn't seem to be getting bigger than fry-sized. That might be him/her in the middle of the bottom picture. You can see how much smaller than the others it is.

tanks3-4-11024.jpg

tanks3-4-11019.jpg

tanks3-4-11020.jpg

Interesting lesson learned this week - I have too many grown males and not enough harmony for my liking. Presumably this is partially due to the tank size and the amount of males that hatched. Some of the males have had a few ruffled scales from their stand offs so 2 are now 'on holiday' in a divided tank in the garage. A couple more are spoken for in auctions and hopefully some more will go soon too. If anyone in Auckland is interested in some males please PM me.

I haven't made my mind up yet. I want a fish that has good colour from a little way away, and one that won't eat all it's fry. I have heard the Striatum are not peaceful community dwellers and also eat eggs???? :nilly:

the ones I really want are amieti or gold australe. Clowns would be nice.

Noone has what I want, or wants to pass them on if they do :cry:

Heavily planted in the top region or will the fry hang out further down where the cover is? I do have plants that reach the surface and a few tendrils of twisted val that lay on the top but it's not like having good old duckweed.

I am not going back to having floating plants either, my plants look too good now and my tank-fans would kill me :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...