Planted killie tank log with pics..... Take 3!

Sophia

Started a new thread as it’s not a treescape anymore... more au naturel now 8)

50cm long. 28 front to back. 30 deep.

Full shots

wholetank.jpg

tank.jpg

Left side – cabomba, ambulia, small twisted val at the back

lefttank.jpg

Riccia rock (a week old), log planted with new windelov fern, scraps of other fern that survived from earlier – far right corner you can just see scrap of wood where eggs are

rightside.jpg

Crypt walkerii and tiger lotus. Lotus puts out a new leaf every few days and is starting to lengthen the stalks to the surface now. Crypt didn’t melt, I cut off 2 emersed leaves, I think there is 1 left. There is also a Retrospiralis crypt at the very back, you can see one leaf poking out behind the windelov. That one has had a couple of leaves melt so far.

cryptandlotus.jpg

Riccia and duckweed on the surface.

Original thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47536 in case you wish to compare or see plant growth and changes. I wouldn’t have guessed the riccia would spring back so well. I think it will take over soon!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good - gotta love the riccia ball in a net!

sssh you aren't supposed to see the net! It's a bit of an experiment but when it grows out I think the fry will like to hide in there.

Looks very nice Sophia, it would be the best Killi aqurium I have seen, good job!

you are too kind!!! thanks for the compliment :bow:

• 4 weeks later...

Joefish

growing moss on the filter sounds romantic but the reason why I want to move the log is because the moss in front of the filter gets grubby from all the mulm being sucked in. The filter does have algae though haha

EJ

The windelov is tied with fishing nylon to a log, it's not in the gravel. I'm still living in hope that it will perk up again, there are still some green parts.

I am starting to think it's a new variety, called Brown Windelov :oops: It had such lovely long furry roots when I got it too.

Wow ej, that site is awesome, just the kind of thing I've been looking for to help with my tank setup plantwise. Sorry Sophia for hi-jacking your thread..... oh and your tank looks great, I hope once mine is set up it looks good enough to share on here :)

I always have to look twice and there he is smiling like nothing's wrong haha

Tank update

Big Daddy and 2 of the Supremes have moved out to seek their fortunes in the Big City ie they have gone to live at another fish keeper's house.

Now just a single pair and lots of fry. The nice thing was as soon as the 3 bigger fish left, I put some food in, and 6 fry came out to feed. This 6 I previously thought were 4. This doesn't even include the super mini fry I saw yesterday so I may actually have 10 in there after all. Time will tell :bounce:

Well well, look who wasted no time getting down to business this evening :roll:

MrnMrs2.jpg

They like to ‘do it’ against the glass right in the middle of the lounge :oops:

MrnMrs1.jpg

When these pictures were taken they were just snuggling side by side quietly.... waiting for lights out 8)

most killis will spawn in the bottom ie; peat spawning

a lot of killis preferit to mop spawning and often if fish are not producing eggs in mops, by putting peat in the tank as a substrait, you will get eggs. Almost all Funds are happy this way and also a lot of aphy.