Here it is again...

Joshlikesfish

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=breedingdata

Anybody notice that a breeding certificate was awarded for the zebra pleco in 1998?

i think that was the choc zebra. Lovely fish but not the same. It was a choc zebra on TM that caused a stir with crazy prices because people thought they were bidding on something more spectacular and rarer than it was. Amazing that people were paying hundreds for one choc zebra. My lil guy cost less than $50 ... way less.

i think that was the choc zebra. Lovely fish but not the same. It was a choc zebra on TM that caused a stir with crazy prices because people thought they were bidding on something more spectacular and rarer than it was. Amazing that people were paying hundreds for one choc zebra. My lil guy cost less than $50 ... way less.

it may be a "real" zebra, there are people that have had them for a number of years.

i think that was the choc zebra.

No - they were definitely THE zebra plecos (at the time the shops were calling them Imperial Zebra Plecos - mainly because Panaque nigrolineatus was getting sold as Royal Zebra Plecos).

Sue and Craig had a reasonable amount of success with them - their webpage is still up http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~zebra/zebra_pleco.htm but hasn't been updated in the last 10 years. And no, to the best of my knowledge they do not have the zebra plecs anymore - they went into breeding dobermans instead.

At that stage I was a poor student so couldn't afford expensive plecos. Because Sue and Craig had had multiple spawns the price they were selling them gradually dropped and when I joined the Waikato club they were offering them to club members for $80 each (keep in mind that at that stage they were a semi-regular import and were retailing for around the $180-200 mark - from memory).

I still love how their very first registered breeding (rather than being guppy or platy like it is for a lot of us) is Zebra Pleco

/edit - damn, somepeople are fast and got the website link up before me

so if there were a few around & they were breeding & selling for $80 what happened to them? there must be many around, probably ex fnzas site members i would expect?

Firenzenz has indicated there is still decendants from those breedings around. As for Sue and Craig, not sure if they got totally out of fishkeeping or not. It's a bit hard to be an ex-fnzas site member when the site didn't exist at that time.

Firenzenz has indicated there is still decendants from those breedings around. As for Sue and Craig, not sure if they got totally out of fishkeeping or not. It's a bit hard to be an ex-fnzas site member when the site didn't exist at that time.

it was created shortly after was it not? i would have thought the early members would have been aware of them, possibly traded them through the contact but are no longer active members of this site, just a thought. there may be plenty of them out there & we just don't hear about them. maybe caryl can remember the early days. :D

Craig and Sue bred these back in 1999 (the same year Trademe was founded actually). At the time they were members of the North Shore Aquarium Society - which no longer exists.

Many did not believe them at the time as breeding these fish had not been known in the aquarium (in NZ anyway) and these two were also new to fish keeping. They were not too keen on letting people see the fish and fry either. Arrangements would be made then cancelled etc (from memory, I might be wrong) so some suggested it was a scam. They were apparently selling them but I do not know where, or who bought them.

They finally managed to produce some photos as proof (pre fancy digital days remember) but, to my knowledge, they were not officially registered and I can't find them listed in the records as such either.

They stopped breeding fish soon after and I do not know what happened to them. They are listed in the 98/99 Year Book but for that year only so were FNZAS members for a very short time.

Craig and Sue bred these back in 1999 (the same year Trademe was founded actually). At the time they were members of the North Shore Aquarium Society - which no longer exists.

Many did not believe them at the time as breeding these fish had not been known in the aquarium (in NZ anyway) and these two were also new to fish keeping. They were not too keen on letting people see the fish and fry either. Arrangements would be made then cancelled etc (from memory, I might be wrong) so some suggested it was a scam. They were apparently selling them but I do not know where, or who bought them.

They finally managed to produce some photos as proof (pre fancy digital days remember) but, to my knowledge, they were not officially registered and I can't find them listed in the records as such either.

They stopped breeding fish soon after and I do not know what happened to them. They are listed in the 98/99 Year Book but for that year only so were FNZAS members for a very short time.

Sue and Craig were members of the Waikato club for a number of years and they have 35 registered breedings (under the WKTO listings) starting off with Hypancistrus zebra in 1998, through to congo tetras in late 2000. The waikato club saw their breeding setup on at least one tank crawl.