Here it is again...

Joshlikesfish

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this line "No where else for sale except our store (despite what some people claim) " The only reason they are the only ones with them for sale is they were at least $250+ more expensive than everyone else and everyone else has sold all of their fish but HFF are stuck with their overpriced fish

I like this line "No where else for sale except our store (despite what some people claim) " The only reason they are the only ones with them for sale is they were at least $250+ more expensive than everyone else and everyone else has sold all of their fish but HFF are stuck with their overpriced fish

where else in NZ could you buy the zebras?

where else in NZ could you buy the zebras?

They were on the suppliers list so any LFS could have ordered them in for you. I know that a store in Christchurch had the for sale for $650ish. A store in Wellington had offered me them at $700 if I wanted them (not Tania's work)

They were on the suppliers list so any LFS could have ordered them in for you.

And thats why they were cheaper I'd guess. Most of the cheap ones I heard of were pre-arranged sales where the retailer knew they weren't running the risk of having expensive fish sitting around in their tanks and therefore reduced the margins to make a sale.

I know that a store in Christchurch had the for sale for $650ish.

Not sure how any other LFS is supposed to compete with an importer retailing direct to the public, short of selling them at minimal mark up simply to get the sale. I bet there was still a considerable mark up on them being sold at $650 each...

Did any retailers other than HFF take a punt and order in 20 for stock on top of any pre-arranged deals? :roll:

Did any retailers other than HFF take a punt and order in 20 for stock on top of any pre-arranged deals? :roll:

was that a good business decision or not? who are now forced to run $1 auctions to sell them. these are never going to be a impulse buy so stocking them is a huge risk. If i had a pet store selling fish i probably would have printed a picture & tacked it onto one of the tanks with a note saying they were available on special order & the price for such a transaction. that way there would have been no risk & probably a very reasonable price to entice the customer into a big risk for themselves.

did you pay retail for that aro you ordered in or you get a better price for the order?

did you pay retail for that aro you ordered in or you get a better price for the order?

If you're referring to the black, I paid retail for it.

As for the rest, I don't think they are "forced" to sell them, the $1 reserve thing is more a marketing strategy than a desperation measure. Was it a good business decision? If you're trying to maintain your reputation as the best LFS with the widest range of fish and gear then yeah, it was. Its not like they're depreciating in value [unless they kill any], and if someone decides they want some then they can buy them straight away rather than having to wait weeks/months while the retailer/wholesaler tries to get them in stock. Its always a gamble buying expensive fish for stock, but its just part of doing business...

If you're referring to the black, I paid retail for it.

my LFS always gives me a special price on orders as they don't have the risk of it not selling or taking a long time to sell & they have the $ up front.

As for the rest, I don't think they are "forced" to sell them, the $1 reserve thing is more a marketing strategy than a desperation measure. Was it a good business decision? If you're trying to maintain your reputation as the best LFS with the widest range of fish and gear then yeah, it was. Its not like they're depreciating in value [unless they kill any], and if someone decides they want some then they can buy them straight away rather than having to wait weeks/months while the retailer/wholesaler tries to get them in stock. Its always a gamble buying expensive fish for stock, but its just part of doing business...

a $1 auction is a call to buy not branding. if they weren't worried about them sitting there then i don't think they would be having a $1 auction on TM, the price will most likely be less, possibly a considerable amount than the retail price they could receive through the shop & on top of that they will pay trademe fees which on a value of that is what, $75 or so?

i agree that it is good they stocked them, but if i was the buyer i think i would have had 3 in each store as there was always the chance to order more. maybe they will enlighten us with their input.

a $1 auction is a call to buy not branding.

I said marketing, not branding. It was talked about in the last thread, how a $1 reserve can be a good way of creating hype and interest (look at the publicity its got them here), and last time it worked out for them. Ballsy trying it twice though! ;)

Scottie841 looking at some of your recent posts one would assume you dislike us... Care to explain? Or do you suffer from "tall poppy syndrome".

I would not say I dislike you. I would say that some of your marketing is misleading and borderline deceptive. For example when the zebra’s were first available you told people that you were importing them. This implied that they would only be available through your stores. When in fact they were available at any LFS in the country that uses the same supplier.

I think that this is a good time to share a PM I sent you. Please note that I never got a reply to this so I assume that you just deleted it:

Hi Guys

With the comments being thrown around at the moment I though I would ask you a question and let you know I have mentioned your name.

Would it be possible to add a note like this to your other goldfish products?

Thanks

Scott

A lot of stores including my own work uses TM as a cheap form of advertising. Hell even if the fish sold at $1, I'd say it'd be worth it. Look at how much attention it got, the cost of 1 zebra plec to get that amount of advertising is a bargain imo, I wouldn't say it was a desperate move at all. Also I don't remember HFF saying that they are the only people who could get them, just that they're the only ones that actually had them for sale, and although I don't approve of the way they worded it, considering that there were ppl marauding choco zebras as zebra plecs to sell at the time, I can see why HFF wrote what they did in the auction.

Just wanted to clarify that we have never imported our own fish as we do not have a quarantine facility & have also never stated that we have imported the zebra plecos.

We have only 5 of these left for sale and have advertised them in various places and they have sold reasonably well - even though according to Scottie we are ripping people off.

No we are not desperate to sell them but why should we not advertise we have these awesome fish for sale - and why should we not sell them - some people might forget that we are a retail store trying to make a living!!!

I do aplogise for not replying to your PM Scottie but I was not aware it needed a response or that it means so much to you to have a response :lol: - I have not deleted it so I will respond now :D

I did not say you were "ripping people off" I said that the fish were "overpriced" in comparrison with what the rest of the market is charging for the same thing.

Things can be overpriced and still sell. I did however say that your marketing in my opinion is "misleading and borderline deceptive" but you have kept it within the law so you cannot be considered as "ripping people off". You are just relying on them not shopping around for the best price.

I do aplogise for not replying to your PM Scottie but I was not aware it needed a response or that it means so much to you to have a response :lol: - I have not deleted it so I will respond now :D

The bit were I put a "?" makes the sentence before it a question. It is common politeness to reply when asked a question.

I did not say you were "ripping people off" I said that the fish were "overpriced" in comparrison with what the rest of the market is charging for the same thing.

Things can be overpriced and still sell. I did however say that your marketing in my opinion is "misleading and borderline deceptive" but you have kept it within the law so you cannot be considered as "ripping people off". You are just relying on them not shopping around for the best price.

You could say that the way you worded that Scottie841 that you were implying that they were ripping everyone off. :D

Once upon a time...

I remember seeing many posts on this forum where individuals talked of the mythical L046 Zebra.

How people would love to see this fish available here.

I saw post full of speculation of colonies here being bred and what price the fish would be.

Due to this interest the fish were imported.

Marketing, branding or WHATEVER OTHER DESCRIPTION you wish to employ doesn't change the fact that those wishes were realized.

I see little point in bringing personal grievances or bad feeling to any of the proponents that made this situation possible.

Or drawing comparisons between those who made it possible to get these fish 'readily' available and how they go about sellling them.

I guarantee if a number of us would love to have some zebs if our finances allowed it- now we have the chance.

Congrats to all that took the punt and BOOHOO to those who have nothing more to do than look to find negatives or pull out old posts that really have nothing to do with "The price of fish' (excuse the pun).

You could say that the way you worded that Scottie841 that you were implying that they were ripping everyone off. :D

No more than they implied that they were the ones bringing the fish in to the country :wink: I chose my words carefully so that I did not say the ripped people off