henward

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt a person would make a public thread lol

he seems like a dumb one though.

i mean, who would buy a snake while visiting a country for fun?

what an idiot

its like going to fiji for a holiday and buying a dog wile you are there....then trying to bring it back.

Wasn't on here. I am sure I would have noticed someone selling snakes!

He got off lightly. I am wondering though when he said he couldn't bring himself to kill them and didn't want to set them free because that would be stupid. What did he think selling illegal species on the Internet was - savvy marketing?? :roll:

I think the main concern here is the fact that he got them into the country so easily. The method he used was a non sophisticated one so I would hate to see what other sophisticated smugglers would be capable of bringing in!. The fact that he got caught was great but imagine the animal had been released into the wild, was pregnant and able to tolerate the NZ climate.... I think security needs to be reviewed in the wake of this incident.

I think the main concern here is the fact that he got them into the country so easily. The method he used was a non sophisticated one so I would hate to see what other sophisticated smugglers would be capable of bringing in!. The fact that he got caught was great but imagine the animal had been released into the wild, was pregnant and able to tolerate the NZ climate.... I think security needs to be reviewed in the wake of this incident.

I totally agree. This has to be a wakeup call for boarder security, but maybe they never thought anyone would be that bold or that stupid.

Love the fathers comment too

"I cant understand it" taking about why his son got sent to prison, easy to see where the son gets his brains from eh.

its like going to fiji for a holiday and buying a dog wile you are there....then trying to bring it back.

Maybe fijian dogs taste different

Hans whats his face...yes I know not HaNs...only got caught cause he put a gecko in a sock in his case

ther others ...in his undies..only got picked up cause of the one in his bag

stupid is as stupid does

I think MAF do a good job. I would hate to see lots of snakes released like ferrets, cats and possums

The differernce is that its highly unlikely tropical reptiles would even survive let alone breed here. Eggs need a constant 20-25C while burried in the ground, how likely is that to happen here?

IMO its a disgrace that in the eyes of the law an offence like this is treated far more seriously than more common crimes like drink driving, tagging, even burglary. I'd love to see drink drivers do 3 months in the big house for a first offence... :evil:

David, i must agree

you get people commiting horrible se xual assault - and they get a warning or probation.... and few months.

and bringin in a snake, which will probably die because it will never metabolise food... and a guy goes to jail for 3 months, up to 5 years.

child molestors get out in less than 5 years at times.....

a snake requires constant heat to incubate eggs. we know that from breedng BD and Water dragons.

drunk drivers kill many more and waste more of our money a year in this country yet they can have 15 convictions before they see bars.

yeah - i can understand that.

beardeds, water dragons, all exotic non native reptiles could carry the same disease.

that is not why they believe snakes shouldnt come in.

its cos they kill birds.

dont get me wrong, this is just for arguaments sake:D

really, if you want snakes so bad. move overseas!

so you jsut deal with it:D

im just putting more wood in the fire! 8)

drink drivers won't kill off the entire human race

but one snake or its parasites/diseases in the wrong place could wipe out an entire species in this country

No but a drunk driver could kill off your entire family, and I think we all know which one is more likely.

It still seems remarkably unjust considering the things other criminals can get away with before being locked up, my ex-bosses camper van was broken into by a kid of similar age with a huge string of convictions for similar burglary and stolen goods offences, and all he got was a few hours community service and had to pay reparation (which he has paid less than 1/4 of over 3 years)....

its not just snakes, would rather be able to have Iggys and chameleons but noooo not allowed. Dont see how they are much different to Beardies or Blueys tbh

Maybe you should open your mind a bit and look at the bigger picture, not just "I want this, I can't have it, therefore I hate those that don't let me have it, me me me I want"

Reminds me of my flatmates 2year old :lol:

its not just snakes, would rather be able to have Iggys and chameleons but noooo not allowed. Dont see how they are much different to Beardies or Blueys tbh

There is one way to get them here. You could get a doctorate and have the same qualification as them. Then you could get a job with MAF. You could then work your way up through the organisation. You would see what goes on and the reason that rules are in place. Then when you get to be one of the rule makers you would be able to give good reasons why they should not be aloud in the country

I agree with all sides of this discussion but do believe sometimes the law makers set the wrong time for the wrong crime, if it was a frog or iguana would he get prison? we wrongly have a thing about snakes, considering even the zoo's can't have them, they are no different to any other reptile, he should have got a fine and a suspended sentence, they should sort out the people killing raping and stealing who do seem to get of easily. at least he might learn something while being in prison - like how to be a "real" criminal.