Kittens

lmsmith

Current research supports the use of moist foods for feline kidney health. Get the best food you can buy as the main part of the diet. Foods that are AAFCO tested are scientifically sound (e.g. Eukanuba, Hills, etc. ).

So there's not one brand that's better?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats are domesticated animals and there has been decades of research into their nutrition. The premium diets sold by veterinary clinics are developed to keep animals alive and healthy for longer and they are very good at that job. Some animals do better on some brands over others so it is impossible to pick one brand over another but as long as the food is AAFCO tested, you can easily feed it for the animal's entire life and they will be healthy. If it were me, I would feed my kitten tinned foods from brands such as Hills, Eukanuba, Waltham, etc. You can give treats as long as they only comprise about 10% of the total diet but I would advise staying clear of pure meat (without bones) because these foods are virtually devoid of calcium, not an ideal nutritional balance at all.

We're going to look for a kitten tomorrow. Which kitten food do you guys recommend? We're happy to spend however much it costs to give kitty what she needs.

how exciting , good luck.

Raw meat (eg Jimbos/max) , raw chicken necks (chopped into thirds for littlies), quality dry food to graze on (eg nutrience, Royal canin) and an occasional tin of dine (the small tin, not dome . pure seafood no additives) is what I feed my cats on.

As Jennifer said, aim to have some moist food in their diet. Raw meat alone won't meet all their needs, but dry food alone isn't always the best either . so variety!

Raw meat and chicken necks is ideal for keeping their dental health in order becuase they have to really chew. Most of the dry foods just shatter in their mouth and do little for dental health. But with the premium dry foods you know they are getting all the nutrients they need and the convenience of grazing which cats prefer.

My cats get wet once a day and a bowl of dry to graze on.

Our cat will only eat hills weight management, Hills TD and if we run out he will eat wiskers but doesnt really like it. He is that pickey that he will not eat anything else. We have tried almost every treat and meat (even roat chicken) he will not even lick it.

That is how cats should be kept IMO, they shouldn't be left out unattended to roam, fight other cats, crud in peoples gardens, spray on doorsteps, kill native wildlife etc.

& dogs, when dogs get out & do what you have mentioned it is far worse. Cats bury their droppings which is also a fraction of the size of an average sized dogs business, cats don't pee on car tires at will & i haven't heard of any kids ending up disfigured in hospital after a cat fight.

i can recommend jimbos or max or simply the cheap stewing meat they sell at the supermarket. it does cost more but the cats eat alot less of it as it's good food & really good for them. their coats are always shiny & we have had no health issues with them at all that i can think of.

& dogs, when dogs get out & do what you have mentioned it is far worse. Cats bury their droppings which is also a fraction of the size of an average sized dogs business, cats don't pee on car tires at will & i haven't heard of any kids ending up disfigured in hospital after a cat fight.

i can recommend jimbos or max or simply the cheap stewing meat they sell at the supermarket. it does cost more but the cats eat alot less of it as it's good food & really good for them. their coats are always shiny & we have had no health issues with them at all that i can think of.

My vet (well, my personal advisor, not my pet's vet as she's my partner's sister) doesn't recommend Jimbos or Max more than once a week because it's very fatty. Their coats can go shiny if they have a too high fat diet, so it doesn't necessarily mean that the cat is healthy. In saying that, if you've had no health issues, and they get other food too, it's not going to be worse than feeding say, all dry food or whatever. I think the key is make sure they get all of their nutritional needs, and not more.

we feed meat at night & purina biscats in the morning which they graze on during the day. i don't think we have had to take either of my two to the vet ever & one is about 9 years old.

They're obviously healthy then! Might be worth a vet check as they get older though, just to check on teeth and kidneys etc.

The difference is that dog owners can be charged or fined if their dogs cause trouble or are found off their property, unfortunately it seems perfectly acceptable to let cats roam where ever they like...

The difference is that dog owners can be charged or fined if their dogs cause trouble or are found off their property, unfortunately it seems perfectly acceptable to let cats roam where ever they like...

It's wrong, isn't it. Cats do just as much damage as dogs. Admittedly, not to people generally, but to other animals, birds etc. They should be restricted in the same way.

We found a kitty we love. I'm picking her up after work today. She was abandoned at the pet shop. She's 10 weeks old, and was spayed yesterday. She's getting her first vaccine this arvo, and will be microchipped at her second vaccine. She's beautiful!!! Will put some pics up when I get her home.

We found a kitty we love. I'm picking her up after work today. She was abandoned at the pet shop. She's 10 weeks old, and was spayed yesterday. She's getting her first vaccine this arvo, and will be microchipped at her second vaccine. She's beautiful!!! Will put some pics up when I get her home.

Congratulations :) What is she? Thought of a name yet?

what do you mean she was abandoned at a petshop? just left under a stand or something?

Wouldn't be the fist time it has happened. :(

We've been dumped with rats, mice and kittens.

Yeah, people have un-spayed cats, and just leave the kittens in boxes outside petstores. It's sad.

She's been home about an hour now and she's super friendly!