continuous and automatic brins shrimp hatchery and feeder.

henward

Tim from the Killi club had them and use to sell them. They worked but not too well and as Alan mentioned, will only feed one tank at a time.

Interestingly enough, he wasnt using them on any of my visits to his fish room

I thought of using a few myself but stayed away from the idea because of 2 reasons, firstly, I think its better to feed small feeds a few times a day (or as Im doing now once a day) so that fry are a bit peckish and will eat more when food is there in bulk so to speak and secondly because I know it would only be a matter of time before I damaged them through turning around and hitting them accidently

They are good if you only want to feed one tank, - reverted to the jar method though in the end.

After a while the suction cups go brittle and then you end up with everything that was in the hatchery floating around in the tank because it would invert itself- the shells are a real nuisance to get rid of :evil:

When I had the fish house and was breeding heaps of fish I built one by puting baffles into a small tank and painting it black except for a small area at one end and an airstone at the other. The nuplii swim towards the light and you can siphon or net them out without the shells. I also reverted to coke bottles as it was a poor hatch rate and wasted a lot of eggs.

They don’t get great reviews because the separation of salt and fresh water doesn’t seem to work as well as advertised so for soft water fish you end up with high salt content in tanks that can kill them and secondly because even if they do work the biggest and greediest fish will sit by the opening and eat them one by one as they swim out leaving the smaller fish hungry.

biggest and greediest fish will sit by the opening and eat them one by one as they swim out leaving the smaller fish hungry.

Wouldn't want to unintentionally breed the smart fish that know where the food comes from, would we?:P

You want me to dig out my instructions?

I use natural sea water, if you use something like San Francisco Bay, or JBL Novotemia the water temp should be about 26 deg, if you use the Burkhart ones it should be about 29 deg.

I have a couple. They seem to work alright for me tho they tended to produce in small amounts, and you still had to change them every few days to keep them producing. I havent used them for a while as they didnt fit well in my tank as I keep water level too high.