Finally happy with tank layout - Update 22/04/2011

phoenix44

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So colourful and that's just the plants!

ha ha thanks!

but you see the RHS where all the polysperma rosanvig is?

the plan is to take all of that out and replant it with Ludwigia glandulosa or tiger lotus, so I have a canopy on the tank, only without the dense root work. Then underneath that canopy there will be a vast amount of empty space (not including the plants on the ground, where there are crypts and a few swords).

At the moment all the wood in that corner is hidden and all you can see is a very dense network of plant.

yeah, yeah :lol:

Eventually... I've got all the equipment I need to support a planted 8ft tank. Ill just grab another 2 lighthoods if I get a tank that large in the future.

Tank will be wider than it is high, or the same width and height.

A larger tank would be so much easier to maintain as well...

I think its a great idea to create a canopy, especially when you have the discus who do not particularly like the higher lighting.

Heres a couple of shots of the canopy forming on the right hand side of my tank. I've got swords of various types under it.

tigerlotuscanopy.jpg

Oh! that would be just perfect, if only the tank was larger! :cry:

This is the end product of my insanity :o

DSC08947Small.jpg

DSC08944Small.jpg

DSC08949Small.jpg

VT Blue Ram

Now I just have to sell my excess arcuata that I am farming on the LHS, and then source a couple more plants... and play the waiting game for the plants to grow of-course.

Is that the red plant on the right when you look at the screen? If not what is that one?

nah. arcuata is the pile of stuff on the left. its the one right at the front just sorta sitting there.

the red stuff on the RHS is ludwigia repens. I sent you a little bit of that. it was blood red when i sent it to you.

I actually can't see it in your tank at all.

In lower light it will be green, in medium light it will be green on top and red at the bottom, and in high light it will be blood red. having too much of it in a tank is actually painful to look at - that's how intense the colour can get.

The post is directed to the author of the thread.

oh. :oops:

In that case, I just crop the leaves that make it to the top. I've only had it in the tank for a month and when i got it it had 3-4 leaves. now it has closer to 10 round leaves that have a lovely red spots on them. I saw a couple of pups in the tank too :D

I actually can't see it in your tank at all.

In lower light it will be green, in medium light it will be green on top and red at the bottom, and in high light it will be blood red. having too much of it in a tank is actually painful to look at - that's how intense the colour can get.

Do you need a magnifying glass. Its a browny red looking blotch on the left hand side near the glass. Its partly hidden by the rapidly growing pup from tank busting sword plant you supplied

me with. I love that big plant - its great :D

consensus? :lol:
That there are a lot of plants that you pulled out! 8) And oh so happy I will get to see them in person soon...

Oh, and I had no idea there was so much wood in that tank! The fish look like they approve. Lovely plants, really impressive growth.

Yeah, 2x L002's. nothing big.

12 or 18 spotty bn's

3? (soon to be more :D) L66

some other catfish

some other plecos

11 brochis splendis

that's all ic an remember for now. although im sure there are more. :o

lotsa poop! good thing there is lots of filtration :D