Gardners - how to discourage weed growth over winter?

Any keen gardeners out there? I've had a couple of raised vegetable plots for the last couple of years. We'll be coming in to the second winter with the vege garden. Last winter it grew an incredible amount of weeds and grass over the winter months. Anyone got some suggestions as to how to discourage this? Was a nightmare in spring to weed it all - needed to take the weed whacker to it then dig it up completely. Not fun.

The garden is done producing crops now and I have taken all the dead plants out, weeded it and turned the soil over. I was thinking I could just nail black polythene over the plots? Some else in the office said pea straw would work too.

Any other ideas or suggestions? cheers :)

Why not grow your own winter veges? otherwise a good layer of pea straw or sawdust i have also used coffee grindings from my mates restaurant which also makes it smell nice he just got the staff to put aside and i got two big rubbish sacks full.

Covering the soil with straw is great for the winter, you can also add some newspaper under if for extra weed protection. If you cover it with poly you could "sour" the soil as it won't be able to breathe properly, and the addition of straw will mean that you get some goodness back into your soil.

I woudl go for Wet newspaper in quanties.

Cheap easy to find and can be dug in

If you use straw and hay then you may introduce more weeds.

Sawdust can be good as well

When we were kids our autum job was to dig old sand and sawdust mix (50/50) out of chook shed and spread on disused garden plot and then mix and fill chook shed up with a new layer...was fun but not pleasant....lol

in spring garden was turned over and planted out

get some plaster board from the dump or some one renovatiing place it (pieces) over the garden nothing will grow thru it then in spring it will be quite soft then dig or rotary hoe it into the garden as its made from gypsum (calcium sulphate ) it will improve your soil structure like like lime but without altering the ph (a lot of veges like slightly acid conditions and lime is alkaline)

grow a legume crop! It is great for soil conditioning, adds nitrogen to the soil, protects the ground from erosional efeects and finally, when it comes time to planting time, turn the crop into the ground. This adds 0rganic matter to the soil, returns the nutrients to the ground and generally a healthy, sustainable land management practice.

If you pm me I should be able to find some legume species that will even grow in the cold deep south :D

Depends on where you are in the country. lol If I list all of them some, won't thrive because they can suit warm, cool, cold conditions. Easy to recommend on a case by case basis and I am too lazy to sort by environmental conditions. :D