how to hatch super market chicken eggs:

sunrise001

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend owns a chicken farm with both battery & free range hens. not a rooster to be seen anywhere, they get gassed at hatching & turned into pet food long before being old enough to create treading.

i know a person that buys these for her cats.. (feeds them whole, good for them)

She once bought a bag of newly gassed chickens , took them home and threw them in the freezer. A while later she heard a cheeping sound .. in the middle of the bag where it was still warm , she found a live chick.

Yes this is a true story... can't remember what she did with it after that but i'm sure she didn't feed it to her waiting cats.

interesting, wouldn't have thought there would be much to them & would be worth feeding to cats.

raw feeders love them.. they've got meat, soft bone, offal, chewy bits everything. A lot of cat breeders feed them to their cats.

I'm not game enough and just stick to raw meat in a jimbos pottle and the odd chicken neck. (raw not cooked)

Poultry bred for eggs, bred for meat or bred as breaders in my experience are all kept seperate so I would be surprised to find fertile eggs being sold for human consumption in the shops. Why would you run roosters with egglayers unless you wanted to raise the next generation from them.

Why would you run roosters with egglayers unless you wanted to raise the next generation from them.

they don't. a hen is freighted to the farm ready to, or already laying from the hatchery. when they finish their first cycle of laying they are killed & a new batch come in. thats it, nothing more than one season of lay from each bird except for the few i & other get for hens at our houses.

Jimbos is one of my biggest pet peeves (no pun). It is not a complete food, it is pure muscle (all phosphorus and no calcium) so you would need to add a pure calcium supplement (among other things) to provide a balanced diet. You are right about the whole chick being more nutritious. It has its bones so there is a good calcium phosphorus balance not to mention a better profile of vitamins and minerals with all the organs present as well. You probably couldn't do much better than feeding a cat those chicks. Same goes for any carnivore.

Hi jenniferh

I don't feed jimbos' alone.. that's just the raw portion my cats get.. haha .. they get other stuff as well.

(quality dry, fish, egg, chicken necks, mybeau etc)

I know baby chicks would be really great for them!

:hail: No judgement intended. :wink:

Pet food labelling legislation is just about criminal IMHO. Don't mind me, I have just been battling that war for too long so it just comes out. :oops:

BABY CHICKENS!

with heads and all.

Really big freakin eyes aswell...

Its one of the very few things that made me feel sick just by looking at it.

interesting

Im 58 and use to eat a lot of eggs, Ive found the odd blood spot but never anything more.

Dont eat as many o=ver the last couple of years

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:o you dragged it up! :lol:

and all along i thought everyone would have forgotten about it.

I've been in Bali! Missed out on all the fun, hence why I dredged this one up to add in my 2 cents.

The poor soul who thinks you can hatch supermarket eggs :roll: