Project tank final layout

fordayzbro

why does everyone have to copy amano or a set of rules written by someone else? :o

leaves no place for one's own creativity!

I know I'd appreciate someone else's creative ideas a lot more than something basically ripped off the net.

I only suggest an image of what's desired to give some idea of what is trying to be achieved. From there we can say what will and what won't work, how to do certain things and what's needed to do it.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an idea on what I'm sort of going for with this tank...

http://www.littlegreencorner.com/galler ... sland.html

Not going to copy this tank but I love the use of grassy type plants.

I'm making an early call on stocking, 10 Emerald Eye Rasboras! (or 15)

Echinodorus tenellus is occasionally available.. not in huge quantities, but you should not have a problem growing it if you have a hi tech setup, as is planned. :D

• 3 weeks later...
dont forget the diffuser

Got a nice little diffuser a couple weeks ago off TM :)

I have a spare diffuser if you want it. Im in Rewa too.

Thanks for the offer! :hail:

I still need to make a cabinet and decide what I want to do about a heater.

Might try and order some nice substrate and ferts online.

DSC_1263.jpg

New light arrived today which I'm very happy with. 36Wx2 of T5 sweetness! :bounce:

Downside is now my hardscape looks a bit pants so will have to start from scratch. I was going add a layer of JBL Manado over the Flourite with the sand foreground but now might try ordering some aquasoil online (not sure if there would be a problem with that) and not use the sand.

.....Anyway still time to adjust before I get everything together.

Sorry about the rubbish photo, my DSLR is giving me the hump :evil:

Cheers

I am loving this tank but I find the dark area under the large rock on the right to be distracting from the local point which is the path between the rocks. I'd like to see the path a little farther to the left as well but I can see that would be hard with the size of the tank. :roll:

I am loving this tank but I find the dark area under the large rock on the right to be distracting from the local point which is the path between the rocks. I'd like to see the path a little farther to the left as well but I can see that would be hard with the size of the tank. :roll:

I only have 1 bulb going at the moment another 36w should help with the dark spot. I see what you mean about the middle point, I could twist the left stone so the nose is closer to the front to alter the path?...

I have about 2cms gap on the left and about 5 on the right.

I am loving this tank but I find the dark area under the large rock on the right to be distracting from the local point which is the path between the rocks.

Spoken like Amano :lol:

I believe that with the rocks being so low, the focal point will not be a rock but instead the negative space created by the gap in the rocks. If this is the case, make sure it's 1/3 to either side, golden ratio :wink:

Spoken like Amano :lol:

I believe that with the rocks being so low, the focal point will not be a rock but instead the negative space created by the gap in the rocks. If this is the case, make sure it's 1/3 to either side, golden ratio :wink:

Exactly. The focal point is the path between the rocks and as such the path should be a little farther to the left (as with the golden ratio). That is why the second focal point of the dark ledge on the right was so distracting. :roll:

I would be inclined to rotate both rocks 180 degrees, this would result in a narrow cleft between the two rocks. Especially if you are going to grow a carpet in there, the eye will instantly be drawn to the darker pathway between the rocks. Make sure the path's position is 1/2.618 of the length of the tank (golden rule) and that the path moves away from the centre of the tank as it gets further away (this will create the illusion of greater depth).

Best of luck with this tank, it looks like it has potential to become something impressive :)

I would be inclined to rotate both rocks 180 degrees, this would result in a narrow cleft between the two rocks. Especially if you are going to grow a carpet in there, the eye will instantly be drawn to the darker pathway between the rocks. Make sure the path's position is 1/2.618 of the length of the tank (golden rule) and that the path moves away from the centre of the tank as it gets further away (this will create the illusion of greater depth).

Best of luck with this tank, it looks like it has potential to become something impressive :)

Cheers Olly,

The big stone on the right has a visible machine cut on the back so I am stuck with using the side you can see :( I could switch the stones around?

Thanks for your advise guys, I have plenty of time to get this right so will try all ideas :bow:

I think it looks fine! now hurry up and plant it :D :lol: hahahaha.

I wish! :o Still waiting for my Co2 regulator and lily pipes to arrive, choose a filter and a inline heater, build a cabinet and source plants..... I think :bow: that's about it.

(phoenix44 "pffft is that all")

I wish! :o Still waiting for my Co2 regulator and lily pipes to arrive, choose a filter and a inline heater, build a cabinet and source plants..... I think :bow: that's about it.

(phoenix44 "pffft is that all")

:D sounds like fun, where are you getting the lily pipes from? and the inline heater?

:D sounds like fun, where are you getting the lily pipes from? and the inline heater?

Lily pipes from Fishstreet, inline heater will be Eb unless I can get one in NZ. I would love to support local business but we just don't cater for high tech freshwater in NZ right now :cry: