Project tank final layout

fordayzbro

DSC_1248-1.jpg

Hello,

After endless adjusting, squinting, scratching head and adjusting again I think I'm happy with this arrangement. Been toying with the idea of adding wood but unless I can find the right piece I will just stick with this. There will be a sand foreground with moss stones to soften the transition to substrate.

Choosing plants is the new challenge, so far I'm thinking, moss stones in the foreground with hairgrass planted in and around. The middle mound at the back I'm going to try glosso which will hopefully climb through the gap between the main stones. A narrow leaf fern for one of the back corners and not sure what to use the other, maybe a tall grass or some nice stems...

This is going to be a high light and Co2 injected tank so if anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful!

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glosso!

Nothing but glosso.

Rotala Macrandra would look nice at the back, but not just on its own. Best used to break up the green colours. i would put a dark green plant like sag. subulata at the back, forming a wall of subulata, with the odd bit of macrandra, or hygro. polysperma rosanvig.

O: @ those rocks... where did you get them from? *winks*

I agree with P44, glosso would be great in that tank :D

EDIT: 1 more thing, how big is the tank?

The tank is 60x30x35

The rocks are similar to rocks I used in my old tank in London called dragonstone (that's what it was sold to me as anyway..) I got these ones at HHF.

Rotala Macrandra would look nice at the back,

Yes, a bit of colour would be nice, I had a tank with just HC when I was in London and just want to try a different style with this..... but just glosso eh.. hmmm

you could try a glosso foreground, then maybe sprouts of hair grass/smaller crypt(maybe? o:) around the rocks (if only we had downoi here...) then a stemish plant towards the back corners? maybea finer leafed stem like red pine

I think red pine/the green one at the back, a few plants of dwarf sag. around the rocks then glosso planted everywhere else (keep the types of plants in odd numbers ;))

or all glosso..

moss is also a pain in the A*** when it comes to pruning it, it manages to get everywhere if you aren't very careful

I like your ideas and scaping plans. The variation in plants will keep it interesting for a while as they grow and develop. I presume you thinking those question marks could be filled something like this:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=1&id=128

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=1&id=36

I like your ideas and scaping plans. The variation in plants will keep it interesting for a while as they grow and develop. I presume you thinking those question marks could be filled something like this:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=1&id=128

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=1&id=36

:) looks great grow dense like that

Variation is good, just glosso is boring :)

+1 :lol:

Was thinking the same thing... 8) Glosso has its place but I think people are tempted to grow it just for the challenge rather than for the long term satisfaction of having a planted tank. If you want to tear down the tank in 6 months and replant, then go for all glosso, just my 2 cents though, everyone is different (and that was a broad generalisation after all). :roll:

Was thinking the same thing... 8) Glosso has its place but I think people are tempted to grow it just for the challenge rather than for the long term satisfaction of having a planted tank. If you want to tear down the tank in 6 months and replant, then go for all glosso, just my 2 cents though, everyone is different (and that was a broad generalisation after all). :roll:

make that 4 cents :D

+1 :lol:

You're right, it would be easier to change to a 'just glosso' setup rather than the other way round.

Whatever I use in the rear has to be dense. I'm liking the suggestions :D

make that 4 cents :D

:oops:

No offence intended...just so that is clear to everyone. :D

I really am liking your thought process and plans though fordayzbro, you really seem to have a great insite about what you want and you have a great eye. :hail:

Here I am! How dare you post a thread like thhis while I'm away for the weekend :lol: But seriously, welcome to the forum.

In this tank, glosso or HC (too bad we don't get it here) is the only way to go. But what I think you're looking for is the Nature Aquarium (NA) look. This is the complete opposite of the low scape this rock layout is suited for. Change the rocks to branching wood or make the rocks larger then go for the NA look. Pictures of the 'scape you're going for?

Here I am! How dare you post a thread like thhis while I'm away for the weekend :lol: But seriously, welcome to the forum.

In this tank, glosso or HC (too bad we don't get it here) is the only way to go. But what I think you're looking for is the Nature Aquarium (NA) look. This is the complete opposite of the low scape this rock layout is suited for. Change the rocks to branching wood or make the rocks larger then go for the NA look. Pictures of the 'scape you're going for?

why does everyone have to copy amano or a set of rules written by someone else? :o

leaves no place for one's own creativity!

I know I'd appreciate someone else's creative ideas a lot more than something basically ripped off the net.

I know what you mean with the low scape, it would suit a glosso rug.

There is another layer of substrate to go in and a sand front which should raise the rocks up about an inch. Moss and riccia stones and a few grasses with glosso...

But if I find some nice wood.....