DRINKING LIVE GOLDFISH AT THE BAR TONITE!!

Jaxxnz

Hey guy any1 here from Hamilton , Some bar down in hamilton is inviting people to take a shot of glass with live goldfish in it, they are starting to night..This is an interesting delight.

!goldfish winklying in your throat..hhmmm

Every now and then a bar decides to do this an animal lovers get upset. Hopefully it will be stopped or someone catches something nasty from the fish or chokes on it or something :roll:

I am not sure what it says about a person who thinks swallowing a live animal in this manner is fun. :evil:

I have no objection to those doing it in the wild when they require a source of food!

as a source of entertainment it is a sad indication of the attitude of those involved

swap the goldfish for mice and see how many do it

A performance was made by a man in the U.S swallowing one of my fav fish 'JACk DEMPSEY"

he die after swallowing the fish! lol, swallowing a JD man dont people knw that Jd can survive hardist condition! :roll:

Well I dont think its bad using them as feeder fish, alot worse happens in nature, as well as eating them if you were desperate. Dunkin the poor little things in a shot glass of vodka and swallowing for a laugh is rather different. And the fact that they have 400 ready for tonight. They achieved what they wanted, publicity.

One of the best ways to eat scallops is to tear open the shell, shuck them and eat raw...I suppose I too am therefore guilty

Mind you I also take half grown fry and place them in a tank with King Killis only for them to be chased and eaten live and not humainly put to sleep

No I also would not eat a live goldfish but I also dont eat celery either dead or alive. That goes for parsnip and turnips as well.

I suppose I will be classified as evil and uncareing?

This makes me sad even just reading about it. I don't understand how people think it's funny. I know i'd be anti it even if I didn't keep fish.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/student ... ts-3387731

Look at the comments though. They've drummed up alot of publicity, so I think they'll be happy even if they don't get to go ahead with the shots.

""We don't touch the fish, we net them out and put them into a separate cup and then we pour the shot into a separate glass," Mr Hughes said. "So it's not as though the fish is actually coming in contact with the alcohol or anything like that until, obviously, it hits your stomach."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3393412 ... lp-slammed

Still sucks!

this is pretty weird in my book. i am sure it happens else where in the world, maybe it's just odd to us & acceptable to other cultures. the idea had to come from somewhere. as for dieing, i would probably rather being swallowed whole than having my throat cut like sheep etc.

this is pretty weird in my book. i am sure it happens else where in the world, maybe it's just odd to us & acceptable to other cultures. the idea had to come from somewhere. as for dieing, i would probably rather being swallowed whole than having my throat cut like sheep etc.

Really? Throat cut would be a pretty quick death, unlike burning to death in all the stomach acids. Imagine all the acids in your lungs (or gills).

I'm no hippy, love meat and I suppose I don't pay much attention to how the animal is treated before death :oops: ... But I can't stand the idea of torturing animals for entertainment. Things like bullfights make me feel sick, I remember having a discussion about it in university. I just couldn't believe that intelligent, educated people thought it was ok, because it was 'traditional' and stuff. They looked at me like I was a freak when I said it was barbaric.

I guess eating a live oyster is still food and at least it tastes good, unlike this goldfish thing where it is being done purely for marketing and the entertainment of drunken morons.

Really? Throat cut would be a pretty quick death, unlike burning to death in all the stomach acids. Imagine all the acids in your lungs (or gills).

i would have thought they would suffocate from lack of air or physical pressure before the acids would kill them. Cutting the throat the way some do it is bleeding to death.

its not the first time, we used to have a bar here years ago called vinnies and the actual bar was a tank with goldfish in it and you could choose your own fish for ya shooter didnt float my boat but once the novalty wore off they got rid of it.

I was very relieved to read the below news piece, I also absolutely loved the part I bolded

A Hamilton bar owner has pulled the plug on offering live goldfish shots as part of a student week promotion after the stunt attracted widespread media coverage and concern. The promotion was scheduled to take place at the Agenda bar tonight, the Waikato Times reported.

Bar owner Logan Hughes said he called off the event so he did not want to get into a "moral debate".

Bar staff would instead offer a chocolate fish and shot for everyone who asked for the goldfish drink and would have an SPCA donation box at the bar.

Mr Hughes had initially said the promotion was not as cruel as everyone was making it out to be. It was frequently done in the United States, Thailand and England, he said.

Gah.

As much as I like fish... come on... far too politically correct. I mean the dude that ate his dog didn't get as hassled as much as this poor fella. If I was him, I would not have called the event off.

people eat live fish all the time, I do not think it is fair to judge the morality behind eating fish.

Gah.

As much as I like fish... come on... far too politically correct. I mean the dude that ate his dog didn't get as hassled as much as this poor fella. If I was him, I would not have called the event off.

people eat live fish all the time, I do not think it is fair to judge the morality behind eating fish.

as part of a student week promotion

haven't met too many people in this country who eat live fish, must be a student thing

the guy killed his dog quickly

lots of bars do it overseas, particularly in tourist spots. doesn't make it right, but why create a storm over this when the spca has better things to worry about.. like pressurising courier companies to stop couriering fish for instance.

i do not think he would be under any less pressure if he knocked the fish on the head, and then people gulped them down.

Feels good to be at the top of the food chain really. :lol: