108L Rimless

SamH

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look, its a phase that is going to happen no matter what you do (or don't) do...

if it bothers you that much rub the algae off with a tooth brush or something.. take the plants out clean them, and put them back..

GAE's and whiptails eat brown algae. My ottos loved brown algae.

If you have enough plants I see no reason why it shouldn't

The logic behind it is that it removes nutrients as a limiting factor of plant growth, leaving only the need for Light/CO2. then you need to start pumping CO2 as this is the next easiest thing to get to good levels

Then, All you need to worry about is get the light correct

Although 50% water changes once a week are the best thing too do (means no skipping them!) as it resets the nutrient levels

this should help the plants to out compete the algae and give them less than ideal growing conditions

P.S Advice is spelt with a C btw :)

Added a small pump just to get some more flow through the hairgrass, algae seems to build up in "dead" spots even on growing plants :-?

Hairgrass from the front. Note the new growth coming through

IMG_6289.jpg

Hairgrass from the top. Shows the horrible algae at its best :(

IMG_6292.jpg

Polysperma and algae

IMG_6290.jpg

The black sand that's been filtered out by the diffuser flow :o

IMG_6293.jpg

Those plants are not nearly enough to outcompete the algae. Remember, lights, CO2 and ferts need to be in balance, as you increase one, you need to increase the others or you will be all out of whack. Also, the faster your car goes (increase in CO2, lights, ferts) the bigger the mess if it goes wrong (it will go wrong a lot faster than a low tech tank).

If I were you I would throw in a big bunch of fast growing stem plants in the corner (don't panic, you can remove them later). Then you need to start fertilising if you have a 10 hour photperiod and CO2. Not too much all of a sudden - slow and gradual to bring the plants up to speed and discourage the algae. Bring the lights, CO2 and ferts up to the same level.

My guess would be that the P to N ratio is out. Generally algae is a problem when you have too much phosphate. On some sites they suggest adding nitrate but this could be that here we are pretty spoiled and the water is generally low in contaminants. Many of the water supplies in some countries have been through 6 animals and 10 people before you get it in your tap so it is carrying a lot of added stuff. The plants you have are not well established or using a lot of nutrient so your nutrient levels will be high.

JENNIFERH YOU GOT IN FIRST

JENNIFERH YOU GOT IN FIRST
I learned from the best Alan. :wink:

Sam, you could also try adding a little bit of potassium (Seachem Potassum) as that will help the plants utilise Phosphorus however, there currently aren't many plants there to utilise it! :roll:

If I were you I would throw in a big bunch of fast growing stem plants in the corner (don't panic, you can remove them later).

Isn't Hygrophlia polysperma a fast growing stem plant? :-?

So should I start on the PMDD then? If so, what ratio is it? 1 tsp to ___ml water?

Yes, it is fast growing but those are just sproutlets. ;) you need lots more plants that are actively growing to soak up the nutrients & CO2. Add ferts slowly when you get some plants that can use them and they will keep things balanced until your sproutlets get going strong and large. See the cyclic logic?

The last 2 pages basically have the same info repeated over and over again. :lol: :-?

Yes, it is fast growing but those are just sproutlets. ;) you need lots more plants that are actively growing to soak up the nutrients & CO2. Add ferts slowly when you get some plants that can use them and they will keep things balanced until your sproutlets get going strong and large. See the cyclic logic?

+1 (again)

They're growing pretty fast and I don't have any more stems, this is pretty much it for me in terms of planted tanks :(

Apart from daily 10L water changes, reduced feeding and a shorter photoperiod, is there anything else I should be doing? Yes or no on the PMDD?