Pricing of Australian Bearded Dragons - Colours

reptilenutt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that it was more because of lack of genetic availability that it was advisable not to cross the lines

that maybe another way of saying too much inbreeding or a coverup for the recessive red gene also being tied to a susceptibility to leukemia or liver and kidney defects as well

There will always be a problem with deformities and genetic defects when you get indiscriminate breeders out there, that's why it is important to document the genetics as far back as you can,........ after all that's why incest is against the law.........

Hence the question about anyone breeding for specific colours...........

that maybe another way of saying too much inbreeding or a coverup for the recessive red gene also being tied to a susceptibility to leukemia or liver and kidney defects as well

Hey there

The reptiles breed themselves, I just watch occasionally, hahaha

I have less reptiles than I would love, like us all I think, but enough to keep me busy.

I think a while back I posted some pics of some of my cages, but none recently I think.

No worries about the stealing bit, would be interested to hear what your plans are for your enclosure.

Hey Reptilenutt,

Do you breed quite abit do you?

How many Reptiles do you have, must be a few! :bow:

Do you have any pix of yur ones, and there Enclosures? Im going to be building my Bubbas one soon, and wondering how you might do yurs, maybe some tips? (sorry to steal yur thread!) :oops:

i suspect overseas they do both in one. inbred for colours?

Yea overseas they inbreed also known as incrossing to enhance and develop a certain trait then they out cross (mate with a differant male or female) to add genetic variation. That's how you get the sandfire morphs etc etc

The ideal of course would be to breed very good colours without genetic defects but this is not very easy if that strain has a history of various genetic defects and the offspring do not live long. People will not want to pay good money for pets that are going to have a miserable life and die at an early age no matter how good looking they are. To maintain this depth of colour you would need to breed to the same colour and as you say this can be a problem. This history will of course determine what they are worth and things would only change after a few generations have remained healthy and lived a long and fruitful life.

This of course would take a lot of time. That is why I did not accept the challenge but I wish you luck if you can make it work, and produce good looking and healthy beardies.

3 it is then, the fridge idea wasn't a great success, when the power bill hits a $1000 for the month, you know something isn't working right...............lol

must have been really bad,all the converted fridges I save seen used only wanted the insulation and space and were heated by a 40watt bulb?maybe we should have a thread for incubation design and build??

lol

Must have been an interesting sized fridge, I would think a 40 watt bulb would never have turned off, to get the "fridge incubator" to temp and keep it there.

I do however agree that it would be interesting to see what people are currently using for incubators. Most I would think would be using a plastic container in hot water cupboards, or fish tanks maybe?

Also interesting to see the percentage of eggs incubated - to those hatched - to those dying in shell.

Would LOVE to have a shipping container FULL of eggs, can you imagine what that kinda of numbers of lizards, on the market would do to the pricing, hahahaha there would be some VERY unhappy people around.....

maybe he used a shipping container fridge :o could fit a few eggs in one of them lol

Would LOVE to have a shipping container FULL of eggs, can you imagine what that kinda of numbers of lizards, on the market would do to the pricing, hahahaha there would be some VERY unhappy people around.....

Not sure why you say there would be some very unhappy people? thats life, most people would probably just think good on ya

imo price could almost go up. $4-500 is fair. anything less and production costs will likely make it a waste of time. I dont think you will sell all that many more even @ say $200 each. Probably just a few more to people who arnt really geared up for them.

Now that there is a few breeders around it will go in cycles like most things. There will be people who think they can make money in a year when the demand is high so they will flood the market the next year and the price will go down again---just like spuds. As always even if the price is down the ones that will sell are the good ones from people with a good reputation from when the price was up or down.

Always good to know there are some people that know more than me, ....

So I take it, you get 100% hatch rate then? No losses at all?

Wow!

Congratulations with that, and when are you writing the caresheet for that one, I will be the first one to print that one off.

thats how much you know.if the heat can`t get out what happens?combined with a heat soak such as bottles of water to hold warmth a 40 watt bulb is quite adequate.You want gentle heat not huge swings in temp.try yours in the microwave?

I would imagine you would have to be a very poor breeder if you hadn't caculated for the additional mouths to feed, and made the appropriate adjustments to your food supplies/stocks. As it is I have too many bugs for the current livestock but I am sure that will swing the other way shortly.

It would be interesting to see, how many "new" people would be interested in reptiles if the initials costs weren't so high.

I think you would drive yourself nuts trying to supply decent live food to 50 baby beardies let alone any more. Too many would not push the price down as they would not sell. There would not be enough prospective owners considering that buying the lizard is the cheapest part.