discus or flounder??????????

illusionz_NZ

:lol: here are the flounder discus that was the bung ones out of a batch.

TINY. FLAT and BLACK!!!!!

boy i got a shock when i saw these ones. the people i got them off are like "oh they are fine they always lie on there sides. they like to do that! ever since they hatched"

i raised my eyebrows and was like "OH YEP" and took them anyway.

sepearted into own tank now and still acting like weirdo's. have treated with metro tabs and droncit twice now. glass bottom is covered in white baby poo worm things im assuming every morning since i have dosed. which i guess is a good thing they they are getting it out of there system.

4 out of the 10 are now upright and the rest are flat and black. not sure if they will come right but fingers crossed.

any other suggestions?

people look at these weirdo's and are like "what on earth are they?" I can only shake my head in embarrassment and say "uh very sick discus and dont buy them if they look like this"

im shocked to see the little buggers are still hanging onto life actually!

here are the pics lol

380790324.jpg

380790323.jpg

First of all why did you buy them having seen them so sick? It will spoil your reputation (sick fish in the shop) and risk an outbreak of diseases that could wipe out the other fish in the shop.

To me it's a waste of time and money trying to fix those fish. Even if you manage to save them, the same thing will happen again later. They are too far gone and look like runts too.

If it was me I would cull them without second thought.

No offends , just my opinion.

ron

Thanks for your opinion but I am actually asking for help here not a dig at me.

if a fish can be saved then I am more than happy to try. that is why they are in a Quarrantine tank. therfore the disease can not be spread to other fish in the shop if seperate fish stuff is used, and sterilized.

as for my reputation Im not hiding the fact that they are sick and it shows people what a sick discus looks like which is a learning lesson for some.

These are not for sale of course, just there to be fixed if they can.

you could treat them with metro / prazi and lots of water changes and good food.

I am unsure if they will get their shape back, but it is possible for them to look somewhat normal in a long time for now.

you can also use a bird multivitamin drop and add it to the colourbits and feed them that.

It is certainly admirable to try and save a sick fish but there is a point when you are actually prolonging their pain and/or discomfort without a fully satisfactory outcome.

To be so ill, for so long, at that age I doubt they will ever recover. As said, they appear to be stunted already and they will never grow into fully healthy fish. They will also be more prone to illnesses, assuming they survive for any great length of time. If they do they will never be saleable either. Medications are expensive and, in this case, probably wasted from a practical point of view (leaving emotions out of it).

Ron was certainly not having a dig at you, he was giving a valid opinion, one which I agree with. He is looking at it from a business point of view too, which you have to do in these situations. :(

thank you for the imput. I have a supply of meds to treat them with so its not really a money issue for me. I am aware that if they do survive they will never reach the full growth potential they should get to as already stunted. If they can get better I will just keep these ones for myself as I do not like the idea of selling an unwell or deformed/stunted fish.

I have surrounded the tank with background pics to stop so much reflection and they have a few plants in there. They are eating well and appear to be happy even though they are on there sides. I hope to do a few more treatments and lots of water changes and hope for the best. in saying this if in a months time no improvements then I will remove them from misery. I have only had these guys for a week now.

I think its sad that they ended up like this where as if they had been properly looked after they would have been seperated a long time ago to prevent them from being stunted.

I am just curious how long it will take for the worms or flukes what ever it is that im finding on the glass bottom each day to get out of there system.

they certainly look a lot better from the treatment every day.

Please go back to where you got them from and ask them never to let their fish get like that again. Ron (Discus Gurus) advice will be sound and he will only be trying to help. Discus that go black and sick take a very long time to die a very slow death. Hopefully they will pick up given that you are using the correct meds for them but the internal damage may be too much.

Please be very very careful that you don't infect any of your other fish as I wouldn't want it to happen to them. :D

• 2 weeks later...