Some of my plants

phoenix44

I have collected quite a few of these over the years, and now that the african tank has been shut down, I've managed to get back some of my old plants, and acquired a few new ones as well. Some of the plants in here need ID'ing so any help will be appreciated.

I apologise about the over-exposure, I used my phone camera.

07012010178Small.jpg

07012010176Small.jpg

07012010171Small.jpg

cabomba and rotala rotundifolia submersed

04012010160Small.jpg

rotala rotundifolia converting from emersed to submersed

07012010170Small.jpg

this sword plant's leaves should go a dark-purple-back in a few more days.

04012010162Small.jpg

rotala rotundifolia

07012010177Small.jpg

ludwigia arcuata

04012010162Small.jpg

moss on driftwood

The other plants include most of the crypts we can get here in NZ, aponogeton undulatus, banana plant, hygrophilia angustifolia, polysperma "sunset" - which im getting rid off tomorrow despite its lovely colour; christmas moss, Limnophila aromatica, echinodorus cordifolia, rubra, ozelot and a whole heap more.

The lighing in the tank is

2xT5 HO @ 18000K - 108W

2xT5 HO @ 10000K - 108W

Ferts are not really used, but I have JBL balls in the substrate, with a layer of calcium beneath the substrate.

I use flourish comprehensive every now and then, and also excel from time to time.

CO2 is DIY with a ceramic diffusor - pretty useless at the moment, but im going to add on a second DIY CO2 reactor if/when i get another diffuser.

You must have good light to get the arcuata like that. What is your purple looking sword?

The arcuata grows like mad. I just chucked out a whole pile yesterday cause it decided to take over the tank.

I was hoping you would be able to tell me what that sword is actually. I have searched a lot, but now im thinking it is a hybrid species of some sort. very very pretty though. if i manage to get my hands on some, ill send you a plant.

You shut your african tank down?

What happened? What did I miss?

yeah, its a real bummer. I used to artificially buffer the water, as its naturally soft here. when i moved the tank, and changed more than 60% of the water, the pH dropped to 5.5 and the fish had a total hissy fit. lost a fair few yellows, sold some on here, and sold all 23 dems that I had. luckily the fish got re-homed really fast so no more died. nothing I did to the water after that made the yellows happy so i had to sell them. it was too frustrating losing them for no good reason, so i decided to go back to plants and catfish etc.

people had bets on how long it would be before i went back to a planted tank :o :lol:

Many of the Echinodorus sp. here came from Tropica and they are hybrids. I have not seen one with that intense colour. It would be interesting to see what it looks like under average light. It could be Barthii which used to be sold as double red. I bought a couple off trademe which were sold as copper swords. Mine don't look like that as they are growing emersed. They are throwing lots of runners but have a long way to go yet.

wow - very nice looking plants :hail:

Your cordifolia (both of them) are straight out of this tank, so I hope you like them. Mine are starting to flower, with 3 flowers coming up.

Many of the Echinodorus sp. here came from Tropica and they are hybrids. I have not seen one with that intense colour. It would be interesting to see what it looks like under average light. It could be Barthii which used to be sold as double red. I bought a couple off trademe which were sold as copper swords. Mine don't look like that as they are growing emersed. They are throwing lots of runners but have a long way to go yet.

The colour is darker in real life :o

I think you may be right about the barthii, the name sounds about right, but then again I must have read a hundred names before picking these plants up.

Nice plants Phoenix! The arcuata looks awesome!

Thanks! I love how you always come back to post on my threads lol...

:D

Nice planted tank P44 :hail:

Agree with Alan on the Barthii sword. Looks exactly like the ones I used to have in my planted discus tank. The colour can go very dark with strong lightings.

now all i need are some lovely brilliant blue diamond discus from you hahhaaha. but sadly my pockets are no longer deep as some of these plants do not come cheap :lol:

Thanks! I love how you always come back to post on my threads lol...

:D

now all i need are some lovely brilliant blue diamond discus from you hahhaaha. but sadly my pockets are no longer deep as some of these plants do not come cheap :lol:

Like these? lol - I have the discus but still working on the plants.

discus.jpg

Got no blue diamond mate :oops:

Got some beautiful juvi pigeon checkerboards if you want them (on the house) :lol:

wha!!!

really? how much?

adodge, i like blue discus, brown discus, and checkerboards. that's about it. the orange ones are nice to see but i could not live with them :lol: :o

I should have a heap of young barthii at the end of summer as they are throwing runners all over the place. They won't look like that without very strong light though. If I remember correctly ozelot is a hybrid of leopard and barthii, and leopard is a hybrid of horizontalis and something else. Most of the redish Echinodorus sp. are a hybrid of barthii somewhere along the line. Red special or red rubin would probably go a similar colour with your light.