Ideas about keeping pukekos off my silage??

Lo all, was cleaning up my silage pit today and got to thinking about how much was wasted this year due to the swamp hens jumping up on top and pecking holes into the stack. It really makes a mess cause it allows the air in and of course the water and the top of the stack just goes manky , makes the cows poo and can make them slip. I thought about putting another layer of old pvc over the tires but I was talking to another farmer about it and he said the rats move in and nest in there instead. I thought about netting over the tires instead but I know the boss won't spend any money for that.

So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas, bearing in mind the stack is right on the road side and I need to be fairly PC about it,

Cheers guys.

You're more than welcome Smidey, but it's right on the rd side, literally, not sure what the rules are concerning firearms next to a main road.

Thanx LA, I thought about the stringy tassle/plastic bag Idea, but as you say, Pukes are pretty sharp, they'd figger it out pretty quick would be my guess. Though your air cannon idea might be a goer, i'll have to look into it.

We've got plenty of swamp around but the with smell of sweet silage around they can't help themselves. i have loads of ducks as well but I don't mind them so much as they don't make a mess.

shoot one and hang it in the middle of the paddock - it works for blackbirds so why not pukekos

We used to hand a blackbird in the middle of our cherry tree to keep the other birds away :D

Seeing other squashed Puks on the road doesn't seem to stop the rest of them crossing the road, especially to steal apples out of an orchard...

Turkey full of crikets?? Trying not to imagine what that must be like....yuk.

the rule is you can eat turkeys in any month that does not have an R in it in NZ, may, june july, august. I roasted one in early september this year as there weren't any crickets yet & it was good.

as a young hunter (12ish) i got one so Mum showed me how to pluck, gut & prepare it for cooking. She helped me get it started & then my parents went out to a relations house. man did i know i had got it in the wrong season after a while cooking, it stunk the entire house out. :o lesson learnt, se told me not to do it until the time of year was right.