My eventful day at work

phoenix44

Boy oh boy did I have a weird day at work!

We had a hypoglycaemic dog in store that was in urgent need of glucose, so i gave him some as he was fading quickly, grabbed the microchip scanner scanned her, got the number and got her sent to the vet. the whole thing took about half an hour or so.

Then when i thought normalcy had resumed, i had some people come in wanting to buy stuff for their dog - a french bulldog.

I saw the dog and was like "whoa that's not something that you see everyday!" so i spoke to them for a while, and showed them the shampoo that would be appropriate for it.

As i spoke to them about the pup i realised they knew absolutely nothing about the dog. Apparently their uncle had given them the dog yesterday. All along im thinking no one gives french bulldogs away - especially when the male looks like the proper breed standard and stil has his nuts for breeding later on.

Any how when i saw that the dog was in good condition but the owners knew nothing about it - given its a rare dog i grabbed the chip scanner and scanned it, and quickly wrote down the number - still don't know what possessed me to note the details down; it was just too fishy for my liking.

Then asked the "owners" if the dog was chipped and they said they dint know :roll:

so then they asked me what the number on the scanner was and i replied i didn't know - but it did not look like a chip number, and was most likely the serial number of the microchip reader itself.

In the mean while, one of the other guys that worked there came racing down and told me a dog like that was reported stolen. i told him to zip it, say nothing and call the lady who reported it stolen and get the chip number off her. then another staff member came racing down hunting for the chip reader which by now i had hidden, and told him not to say a word but get me the chip number from the owner before we spook the 3 people out.

so he raced up, got me the number and then went out back and waited.

what do you know. the chip that i scanned had the exact same number as the one the real owner had read out over the phone.

now the fun starts, once the other 2 staff members find out the numbers match ,I asked them to take the dog - they used a good idea while i stalled the owners and said they were going to give the pup some treats; and I made the other 3 ppl do some paperwork as i was selling them the shampoo and talking to them etc. then the owner of the dog calls up and i was only too happy to pick up the phone, and what do you know - now im dealing with the "owners" and the owners! so i whisper to the real owner over the phone "look calm down - the microchip numbers match, call the cops and meet us here, ill stall them for as long as i can".

then the sale processes through and course the fake owners want their dog back - so i look surprised and say where is it? they say the other guy took it to give it some treats. i say "ah, they do like such cute dogs, ill be back in a second and find them", and i disappear, brief everyone and then pretend to take a phone call.

then the real owners arrive - rich that works there runs up to them, i follow, tell the guy to wait at the door for the cops and tell the woman to go straight up to the office and i would meet her there. she goes up half crying with excitement, and i run up after a few seconds - brief her and tell her not to move. i reconfirm the microchip numbers, and then go to stall some more. then the cops turn up about 10 minutes later! man it felt like an eternity!

they take the people away to talk to them and then take a full statement from me, and i explain every detail. then i take one of the cops up to the lady and her dog and after another 10 - 20 minutes it is all over. we give the lady some alone time with her pup and she was really really happy.

she has her dog back :D

I was so happy as was the owner and the dog! I thought the puppy was happy to see me when i went to play with it, but it jumped right into her arms when she saw it. all is good now but i have a massive well earned headache. :lol:

Im just happy the other 2 guys were in store. i thought something was fishy but I would never have known for certain if it weren't for them telling me about the real owner who gave us a flyer a few days prior. This was my first day at work in ages, so I would have felt gutted if i sold them stuff for a stolen dog.

good work phoenix. i had some similar but not pet related. Used to manage a video game retail store, our sony rep had his house broken into a few days earlier and a whole heap of electronics gear etc stolen. Guy comes in with a PSP a few days later and one of the employees recognises the background on the PSP as our sony reps. We stall the guy and get him to fill out a membership form, tell him its to get special freebies and benefits. Once he leaves we give his details to the cops, including all the photocopis of his id, address, phone number. A few days later they do a bust on the property and find all his stolen stuff. Weeheee, i love it when no-good thieves get what is coming to htem.

yeah, i did the same. membership form and what have you, but i dont think i would have handed over private info - privacy act. sucks that it would have protected a crim (or someone in possession of stolen good) but that is life i suppose. i was just hoping the cops would arrive soon. 3 whole cars came. :lol:

(I asked the where their dog that takes treats from me was) :lol:

Awesome!

Did you find out whether these people were the criminals or if they were actually given the dog by someone dodgy?

French bulldogs are really popular in Canada ;P But I swear I've seen quite a few in NZ...didn't realize they were rare here!

Wow.. that was a good work story!

Must be the day for stealing. I was browsing in the lingerie department of Farmers today and heard two of the staff members talking about a girl in a grey hoodie they saw lurking amongst the lingerie/kids shoes. I'd seen a girl in a grey hoodie as I was wandering around,and at the time I thought to myself she looked suspicious. Then minutes later I'd moved on from where they were, and saw another staff member with a walkie talkie racing down towards the exit.

No idea if they caught them or not though..